BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
sprung hub
sprung hub
Sacramento, CA
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
British motorcycles in general Jump to new posts
Re: Francis Barnett 1928 Model 9 - Auto Lube System Shane in Oz 32 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Villiers
Last thing. Best manual is 'The Villier Engine" published by Pearsons in multiple editions from 1949 on. Author B.E.Browning. Multiple copies available on www.abebooks.com It's the most important Villiers book of all.
Does that just cover the pre-War engines, or early pre-War as well?
I could do with some decent material covering my late 1940s Waratah (6E engine from memory)
7 61 Read More
The triple forum Jump to new posts
Re: further adventures of rich and joy kommando 1 hour ago
TM, I considered soda blasting as its soluble in water but went for ultrasonic instead, it works even on the unseen internal oilways etc including the pilot galleries on carbs. I turn it on for a 40 min cycle and can go off and do other work at the same time.
8 148 Read More
Re: Francis Barnett 1928 Model 9 - Gearbox Oil Burga007 2 hours ago
Thanks for that information, appreciated.
5 65 Read More
Triumph bulletin board Jump to new posts
Re: 76 T140 Speedo Bulb Number TR7RVMan 3 hours ago
Hi mrcarb, A LED replacement gives a little more effective light at night. I really like them. Still not very bright but better than the pitiful 504 3w bulb.

The dimensions of the glass/base makes these bulb T3 size. They come in various watts.

Superbrightleds.com part # WLED-CW5 cool white 6000K. This is what I use in my '73 Tiger with same bulb holders. I feel the gauges are much easier to read at night & you save about 5w.

Non polarity sensitive.

504 are hard to come by at auto parts stores. Sylvania 158 3.3w is close to 504. Slightly brighter. Often stocked at many auto parts stores. Oreilly's stocks them in my area in Sylvania brand. I found they are fairly durable. I recommend Sylvania bulbs for our bikes.

#168 is same dimensions as 504 & 158, but is 4.9w. These put out a lot of heat. They might melt the plastic rivets inside the tach & speedo. I'm afraid to use them. plus they use more electricity of which these old bikes have none to spare.

On a side note, 1157 bulb will fit stop/tail light but is not correct.

For stop/tail use Sylvania #7528 double filament 21/5w Also known as 1034 bulb.

For turn signal bulb Sylvania #7506 21w. Also known as 1073 bulb.

These both are common in some German cars. Some US auto parts stores stock them.

Some parts stores want to sell you 1156 26.9w for turn signals. Yes they work, but not as designed, watts too high. The 1157 is 27/8.3w. Again works but watts too high. Again we must watch the watts or battery voltage will run extra low in city riding, plus heat damage to plastic parts & lens.
Don
3 57 Read More
Hot links forum Jump to new posts
66 Triumph Trophy, British Columbia $5,000 CDN franko 5 hours ago
0 8 Read More
47 Ariel Red Hunter, England Ebay franko 5 hours ago
0 3 Read More
67 BSA B40 Project, England Ebay franko 5 hours ago
0 3 Read More
65? Ariel Arrow Project, England Ebay franko 5 hours ago
0 5 Read More
71 Triumph Bonneville, Georgia Ebay franko 5 hours ago
0 3 Read More
65 BSA Lightning Rocket, California $5,000 franko 6 hours ago
0 4 Read More
Bsa bulletin board Jump to new posts
Re: A65 aftermarket sump drain plug leak Dave Martin 8 hours ago
Hey, its not like you were the first person to forget to tighten a nut! On this bike (B441 bitsa, sort of like an Enduro ish) my list includes a lovely brand new peanut muffler (now a little dented), the petrol tank (that was a tad exciting), pinch bolt on the steering head (handling commanded my full attention with that one), rear wheel (to be fair only the rt hand side, but it did make the back end a little squirrely), handle bars, seat. This of course does not include the various bits that fell off on every ride due to vibration until I learned that spring washer, nylock nuts AND thread locker are required EVERYWHERE.

Personally I would use some PTFE tape as well. I know it is parallel thread sealed with a washer, so should not need it, but it helps.
6 230 Read More
Velocette forum Jump to new posts
Re: Poor performing Venom Joolstacho 8 hours ago
And Stuart, I bet your Goldie sounded EVEN BETTER on the 'twitter' even if not that much louder.

One day back in the dim mists of time my Venom suddenly went 'off-song' powering up the hill to my place.
I was convinced it'd seized or dropped a valve or something awful. Turned out it was just the 'secondary' rear fixed baffle in the fishtail that had self-destructed.
That was a relief!
6 250 Read More
Re: The Motorcycle: Design ~ Art ~ Desire Magnetoman Yesterday at 10:18 PM
[Linked Image]
272 16,220 Read More
The Rod and Tappet Jump to new posts
Re: Today's Run tg4360 Yesterday at 09:43 PM
Shaun,

That's only a QUARTER of the usual turn out?

Looks like a big crowd to me!

Also.... you know what they say about Carb problems (the missing....) it's usually the ignition and that is the last thing you touched.

Got a loose wire somewhere?
15 485 Read More
Re: Rust removal from fuel tank Jon W. Whitley Yesterday at 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by gunner
What I do is as follows:-
After cleaning out the tank with detergent, hot water etc. I then throw in a few handfuls of gravel and give the tank a good shake around. It needs repeating several times and you might find your arms ache afterwards.

What I do next is wash around the tank with a cupful of concentrated phosphoric acid. As noted above this will leave an anti rust phosphate layer on the metal so is worthwhile.

I have done several tanks with citric acid and my opinion is that you can skip the step of shaking it around with gravel, nails, BB's or what have you. The stuff is that good !! The way I do it is to completely fill and submerge the tank into the solution, when it is going to get painted. I use one of those storage tubs with lid to achieve this.

I have also done a few tanks where I didn't want to submerge them such as a nice BSA chrome tank or decent paint tank, and after cleaning them out and plugging all outlets, I fill them completely and let the solution do its magic.

Every tank I have done looks beautiful on the inside after I rinse it out. Immediately following, I spray in a liberal amount of WD-40, slosh it around, drain any mix and call it a day.
5 89 Read More
British modified/specials Jump to new posts
Re: A65 caf dave thomas Yesterday at 08:27 PM
Sorry to dig up old threads , but has a lot of this thread been deleted ? I remember it from when it was posted and I found it again to show a friend, but there seems a lot less content than originally?
200 311,737 Read More
The competition forum Jump to new posts
Re: trackbike Morgan aka Admin Yesterday at 07:30 PM
Mike, it’s kind a funny that BSA vs Triumph and speed is still discussed. I Guess that BSA who owned Triumph had a good laugh as it just increased the interest of their two brands
78 20,835 Read More
Triumph bulletin board Jump to new posts
Re: T140 Center Stand Installation henryanthony Yesterday at 05:37 PM
I drilled and tapped holes on the top of vise jaws and inserted screws suitable for the spring ends. Then, open the vise enough to insert washers...
6 96 Read More
Bsa gold star forum Jump to new posts
Re: head gasket necessary? Boomer Yesterday at 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Motolab
Originally Posted by Boomer
Isn't that B33 a GB33? Which is later with the squareish barrel and head. I wonder if that is different from the early round barrel/head B33?

Bill

BB33 Matching numbers bike...’55 delivered to NL and still on it’s original first registration, bought from its first owner.

You never know with old bikes, but nothing points to changed parts.. “big fin” is original for that model in that year..

I have seen many heads of these models.. (B-range cast iron) never seen a B33 with a “thick” spigot and therefore a small “burning room”

For this topic not important of course, but for the archive purpose each forum has these days, maybe nice to be correct...

You or others are welcome to correct me if i am wrong ofcourse ;-)

Harold, it was a question, not trying to correct anyone.

Bill B...
29 709 Read More
Re: Rocket goldstar handbookH rocketgoldie Yesterday at 03:03 PM
STILL FOR SALE.VERY RARE.
1 72 Read More
Re: Catalina decals rocketgoldie Yesterday at 03:01 PM
Hi i spoke to Mike Reilly today he still has the transfers. is phone number is 0061738040055 from the uk .
8 131 Read More
Norton bulletin board Jump to new posts
Re: MK3 Commando Sloppy Shifter John Bakker Yesterday at 03:01 PM
Wow! Interesting link on the Superblend bearing! I had no idea how much thought went into a bearing. And now we know the rest of the story.
12 231 Read More
Garage sale - The private buy & sell board Jump to new posts
WTB Norton Roadholder yokes Dick Page Yesterday at 02:37 PM
I am looking for a set of yokes for a project. Need 7-3/8" leg spaced Norton Dominator, N15, Atlas, or early Commando. Would prefer a set of upper and lowers, but would also consider separate parts.
0 30 Read More
Re: Francis Barnett 1928 Model 9 - Petrol Filler triton thrasher Yesterday at 01:43 PM
It was common for two-strokes to have an oil measure under the fuel cap.
1 38 Read More
Norton bulletin board Jump to new posts
Re: Dominator dynamo drive gear sammysnail Yesterday at 01:33 PM
Thank you so much Rohan, I hadn't dared to hope for a picture as well.

The fibre gear that I have fits neatly on the disc at the back of the camshaft sprocket, so I am hopeful that when the flat plate and spring are fitted it will all work.The peg that locates the plate is a bit mutilated, so I'll have to sort that out too. The peg will be necessary to stop wear on the spring fingers if the gear slips on the sprocket boss.

A constant loss system will probably be the outcome, but at the moment I have a bee in my bonnet about running the dynamo.

2 42 Read More
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership