Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Denis J
Denis J
Sacramento, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by reverb
...several photos that are really good. Mostly medium format with those incredible colors and contrast...making plenty of other digital images dull in comparison.

Regarding your choices about popular Music; I only say that seems that I lived in a parallel non mainstream World since forever.
I mean; not bad choices but...

Since you have the Internet you should stream WFMU from Jersey City New Jersey.

A very strong mix of great non mainstream and weird music, and sometimes just plain noise and sounds, along with pure avant-garde. Free form radio at its finest, and the station has been in operation since back in the 70s. Still at least one DJ who’s been there all this time.

High weirdness never sounded so good- haven’t listened a whole lot lately but they used to have a Jewish radio show every week day morning that was called something like JM in the AM. Which did include some Klezmer stuff amongst all the talk- so even that talk show had some redeemable qualities.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...I will try to listen.
Some 20 -22 years ago I listened from your Country, KFJC. A college radio that was super good where every DJ had their own approach; then times changed.

From what you choose I preferred the Abbey road. I have it in vinyl and I listened few hundreds of times when I was young but probably I will listen it some more hundred times.
From the Beatles I normally listen Get back (naked) and Revolver; sometimes the White album.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by reverb
...I will try to listen.
Some 20 -22 years ago I listened from your Country, KFJC. A college radio that was super good where every DJ had their own approach; then times changed.

From what you choose I preferred the Abbey road. I have it in vinyl and I listened few hundreds of times when I was young but probably I will listen it some more hundred times.
From the Beatles I normally listen Get back (naked) and Revolver; sometimes the White album.

Right on. No idea what WFMU is doing on the weekends, I have mostly listened to them during the week, at mid day or evening But in general they play a super wide range of music across several spectrums of rock, jazzy funk, & punk- into avant-garde and all the way to just plain weird and beyond even that. They are one of my all time favorite places to listen to.

These on my "list" above, were all albums that I deemed "influential" to me over the years. I really had to put some thought into figuring this list out, because I've listened to so much during the course of my lifetime. So these records were ones that set me on a certain path. It was these records & bands, that totally shaped my music appreciation today. Of all these, on my "list", I would say that the only ones I listen to with any regularity any more would be Bowie, King Crimson, and occasionally John McLaughlin, but not Birds Of Fire, more his solo work.

I have a copy of John McLaughlin Live At Royal Albert Hall that stays pretty close to the top of my pile of CDs, in fact. It's not nearly as wildly electric as Birds Of Fire or any of the Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff, but the recording is superb and the instrumentation almost otherworldly. Overall, it might be said to be kind of mellow. I don't know how much you know of John McLaughlin's work but he went thru a sort of "Indian" musical period with a group of folks and had a band called Shakti. His associations with some of these people from Shakti stretches out over years and I believe (but don't know for certain) that some of these guys were in his ensemble for Live At Royal Albert Hall.

I have All The Young Dudes & Lou Reed Live on vinyl so they do occasionally see the light of day.

Bowie is and always will be pretty high on any list I would ever come up with. His work, no matter which period or phase he was in, is always worthy of a listen.

Another interesting "radio" show I like is a syndicated show that's also available by podcast: The Many Moods Of Ben Vaughn. He picks a super eclectic blend of many different styles of pop and rock, going as far back as the 1950s.

Here's an example from Ben Vaughn' radio show, a song he played yesterday: a 1974 piano "hit" version of Dick Dale's Misirlou - happy listening, brother!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/02/20 2:26 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Got some recent film scans in from my summer exploits.

train stuff

caboose:

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]

depot

loco

moto

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
color shots

family: my young cousins. these 4 are the daughters of eldest 1st cousin's daughter. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family, all my cousins and all their kids are just fantastic. such sweet, nice people. the girls here are carrying the family tradition of having plenty of "personality".

onancock

norfolk

raleigh

greensboro

pine creek in PA's northern tier

and back to the house for some close-up work

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/05/20 1:19 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ive been busy so not exactly bored .. Between Driving up and down the coast in hurricane weather and Breaking down in Maryland and AAA leaving my jeep in the middle of the road on the top of a hill on a curve while my good friend Tom rescues me and my trailer on I 95

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Good things happen too. I got to visit with Jim in NC on Sunday have a few beers and take a dip in their pool to wash away 500 plus miles of rough road and heavy traffic.

But last week in the city I was walking through Hells Kitchen and this homeless looking guy was sell records on the street.... Usually I dont stop to look but what a collection and he knew his stuff.... The good stuff wasnt cheap.... I had to stop after just two bins . There were at least 10 more bins ....

Ill be listening to these the next time Im near my turntable.

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
XRDS FM in Clarksdale, Mississippi. All most all of the Blues greats were out of Clarksdale. About a year ago the FNG decided to improve my favorite blues station. We all know how that worked out! So I was thinking lf Clarksdale has a station I bet it would be good. I was not disappointed. Blues and Roots. It's not just an algorithm the guys down there put it together as they go. I never hear a set repeated. some Stones, maybe some Haggard followed by Charlie
Paton and some Howlin Wolf. Check it out.

JW

Last edited by bsawood; 08/06/20 4:03 am.
4 members like this: ricochetrider, ricochetrider, DJinCA, wadeschields
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Listening now !!! My wife likes Radio Paradise for her online listening.... Its pretty great and does have some blues as well but I liking what Im hearing on XRDS so far !!! Thanks !!!!!!!!

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Your welcome. I hope you get to like it as much as I do.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Wow! score on the albums Wade! I am a bit jealous.

bsawood, thanks for the tip on XRDS, listening and bookmarked.

DJinCA

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by bsawood
XRDS FM in Clarksdale, Mississippi. All most all of the Blues greats were out of Clarksdale. About a year ago the FNG decided to improve my favorite blues station. We all know how that worked out! So I was thinking lf Clarksdale has a station I bet it would be good. I was not disappointed. Blues and Roots. It's not just an algorithm the guys down there put it together as they go. I never hear a set repeated. some Stones, maybe some Haggard followed by Charlie
Paton and some Howlin Wolf. Check it out.

JW

Aw hell yeah man, word up- will definitely check that out!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/07/20 3:22 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by wadeschields
But last week in the city I was walking through Hells Kitchen and this homeless looking guy was sell records on the street.... Usually I dont stop to look but what a collection and he knew his stuff.... The good stuff wasnt cheap.... I had to stop after just two bins . There were at least 10 more bins ....

Ill be listening to these the next time Im near my turntable.

Whoa. Cool @ss street score!

The London Blues & Rock Project series was so great. John Lee Hooker has always been a fave too, and I was lucky enough to have seen him 4 times in his later years. He was often out touring, and I caught him playing outdoor gigs at festivals or shed venues.
Look forward to hearing these.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/07/20 4:04 pm.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Way good albums!

Love to have that Chet Baker and Bud Shank....and Art Tatum and Charlie Parker...

And if you are a John Lee Hooker fan, don't let records with names like Booker and Texas Slim slip by. Same guy....

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
This has been getting some air play on my local radio.
Irish punk band Fontaines DC
Really lush guitar textures and tones in these guys' music.
I really like it.

Here's a LINK to the LYRICS

Here's the next video if you let it roll.

Just heard this last night. I like this a lot, it has a sort of melancholy vibe. Lovely jangly, vibrato guitar, sweet harmonies. Kinda folk-y.
Sarah Jarosz.

[img]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8hn0Qo-XM[/img]

Again, if you let it roll, you'll get a nice sense of what this talented lady is doing.

I've been coming on to so much music lately, I like to look em up on you tube, go to whatever song of the person or band I've heard and then just let their stuff roll for a bit. Ms Jarosz is on the Sugar Hill record label, seems to fit.

The next song I heard between news segments on NPR. It played long enough for my phone to ID it! Nice modern jazz. quartet- kind of driving, but mellow just the same. really great stuff by drummer Matt Jorgensen
Music inspired by the paintings of Dale Chisman

Big Chief With A Golden Crown

Rex Gregory – saxophone
Cole Schuster – guitar
Michael Glynn – bass
Matt Jorgensen – drums

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/08/20 6:49 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Good stuff Ricochetrider. Here's one that turned into an earworm for me:

1966 BSA Lightning
(2) 1967 Triumph "Choppa"s
1974 Indian ME125
1960 Harley Servi-Car
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Just got some scans in from the last of my recent film shoots. These are from a great new film developed by some Italians- Ferrania P30. These folks built this around the concept of old time movie film stock. The film has quite a lot of "character", more or less to peoples' liking, depending on who you talk to.
A lot of the folks like it toned down, and honestly it depends on the subject matter, I think (my opinion). When it comes to shooting traditional hot rods and vintage dragsters, however, let's let it be contrasty and gnarly looking. It seems to me to match the subject matter. That said, this being a low IS) film (rated at IS0 80), even tho it LOOKS contrasty and crazy, it's actually a fine grained film. The range of this film, going from black to white is actually kinda stunning. Under the right conditions, the black are so deep and very dreamy, IMO. The highlights seem to almost glow at times.

Well anyway, if you're not shooting film these days, who cares? I think it makes for some interesting photos tho.... have a look.

HERE is a link
to my gallery with the rest of the roll. Have a look if you feel like it!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/14/20 12:02 am.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I like that film !!

W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
ricochetrider

I like it. I googled and only saw 35mm mentioned. Do you know if it is made in 120 or even 4 by 5?

Film is not dead. Agfa is making film for the Rollei brand and Kodak stated a 17 or 18 percent increase in film sales last year. There are young people wanting to try something "new" and are trying film. I get more people bringing me film to process these days and the supply stores here are having trouble keeping C-41 kits on the shelf for those who are shooting colour. I'm still using my remaining stocks of Kodak 5302 motion picture direct release positive for making copy negs from old faded away black and white originals. Down to my last 100 foot roll so going to have to find something to replace it. Old emulsion is being offered at 4 times the retail price I paid for it a few years ago. Hard to know if it's been kept in the freezer or not as it is affected by age more than some other emulsions.

I like your work.

Cheers, Wilf

Last edited by Wilfred; 08/14/20 7:09 am. Reason: added more

"It's about the ride..."
1 member likes this: ricochetrider
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by wadeschields
I like that film !!

I do, too. I got some blow-back from some of the folks on the P30 fb page, I guess there are some purists out there. (insert *rolls eyes* emoticon here) Looking at their photos, the results they got (which I assume they are happy with) looked really flat. That said, this means this film has an incredible range of capabilities. I'm all for celebrating that!

Originally Posted by Wilfred
ricochetrider

I like it. I googled and only saw 35mm mentioned. Do you know if it is made in 120 or even 4 by 5?

Film is not dead. Agfa is making film for the Rollei brand and Kodak stated a 17 or 18 percent increase in film sales last year. There are young people wanting to try something "new" and are trying film. I get more people bringing me film to process these days and the supply stores here are having trouble keeping C-41 kits on the shelf for those who are shooting colour. I'm still using my remaining stocks of Kodak 5302 motion picture direct release positive for making copy negs from old faded away black and white originals. Down to my last 100 foot roll so going to have to find something to replace it. Old emulsion is being offered at 4 times the retail price I paid for it a few years ago. Hard to know if it's been kept in the freezer or not as it is affected by age more than some other emulsions.

I like your work.

Cheers, Wilf

Hi Wilf,

Sincere thanks for your compliments! Yes, film and film cameras are huge right now, across generations. It's fun to be playing an active role in this boom, if not somewhat painful to buy cameras and lenses currently. I think this film Ferrania P30 is great, personally. I'm not afraid of it being too contrasty, if I want something more subdued, there are plenty of options! I Actually think that look suits the subject matter as well. Just got 5 more rolls in, maybe I'll make an effort to shoot a roll in less-bright conditions and see how it plays out. I love the way it renders light & shadows, Love love love its deep, almost creamy blacks.

For now, P30 IS indeed only available in 35mm. I think they are working on other formats, but I also think they were swamped at first, and may be catching up to the demand, in their ability to meet supply needs. Also I think they hyped the film for a couple years before they actually got their new factory up & running, so their beta batch got snapped up very quickly, and the excitement MAY have abated to some extent by now.

I went down the "expired film" road a short ways. Got a batch of soviet film that clearly had NOT been frozen and the results were... um... fun? for about 1/2 a second. What to do with the *other* 4 rolls of Svema? I've sort of gotten to be a fan of slower speed films thousand I see Lomo currently has some super slow film stocks (B&W) one at ISO 8 and the other at ISO 13! Might have to try some of that out. Been shooting Ilford's Pan F Plus 50 in 120. I'm really liking this film! Judging by the difference between PFP 50 in 35mm and 120 tho, P30 in 120 might be pretty darn cool.

A nice gentleman from this site recently contacted me saying he wanted to give me his father's East German built Praktica camera! I've received it and not only is it pretty decent condition, it has a Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar lens on it- a very desirable, well loved vintage lens! clap I'll post some photos and tell the story at some point soon, but I want to be able to add photos from the camera when I do. Gotta take some time to do some shooting tho. I have 5 more rolls of the P30 and a couple rolls of Rollei Superpan 200, along with one or two more rolls of that Fuji Industrial Color 100 film, all in 35mm. I jammed up my 80mm Planar lens on my Hasselblad 500cm, so that's out of commission currently, in fact I sent it to a gentleman up in Massachusetts to get un-jammed. I have an older 500c body and 3 other lenses- including a "new" 250mm lens I got recently which I've not used yet. But I have a hard time seeing the focus screen on the 500c, so I'm a wee bit wary of it. Ah, what to do, eh? laughing

Anyway, I'm not certain I knew you were a camera/film aficionado. Had you maybe mentioned it a long time ago? I'd love to see some of your photos sometime. British Columbia is pretty high on my list of places I'd like to visit. I kind of have a hankering to noodle around along the northern coast and get a look at some totem poles, among other things. A friend of my sister's has a place on Vancouver Island, so IF we could get into BC at all, we may have a house hook-up. My cousin lives in Port Townsend near Seattle, and I've never been to the Pacific NW. I'm really itching to get out that way and shoot loads of film! IF it were possible and if you were open to it, I'd happily pop by, should I ever find myself up in your neighborhood.

Cheers, man.
Have a great day.
Tom

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sigh, looks like a working commando.......

Envy :-)

Nice pics

PP

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Howie
Sigh, looks like a working commando.......

Envy :-)

Nice pics

PP

Thanks Howie.
Well yes... kinda sorta. Could use a bit of attention just now, actually. That said I’m going to fire it up and have a bit of a spin on it.

It’s cooler today, mid to high 80s (F).

Cheers man!

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...yes; contrasty but with character; almost glorious B&W.
I really like the racing first photo with all that grainy surface. Yes; looks pretty vintage.
No doubt that to shoot with a great film is important but good lenses and big format is very important in my opinion. However; with all that and a bad shooter the final work could be not so good.
With what gear did you shot that photo?

Thanks

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
These were all shot on 35mm format. Ferrania P30 doesn't come in any other. So this wasall shot on my Voigtlander R3m rangefinder camera using a Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 Nokton Classic lens

W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
Hey Tom

Thanks for the great reply. I'll have to see if my photo supplier in Vancouver has any P30. What developer do they suggest or what do you use?

I hope it comes out in 120 as along with my 500cm and my 50, 60, 80, 150 and telextender, I've now got the use of another 500cm with 40, 80, 250 and 500 and a bunch of other stuff so that really fills out the selection of glass. when I get some P30, I'll revert back to the Canon F1 system and have a go.

I just finished my last roll of bulk Pan F plus in 35 that I've been using for standard copy negatives but as I can't easily get it in bulk, I'm back to Delta 100 in bulk. My emulsion of choice in 135 and 120 has been Fuji Acros 100 ( I hear Fuji is coming out with a new version ) Fuji Neopan 400 and Neopan 1600 ( which isn't available currently ). Settling for HP5 plus in 400 for now, including the 4 by 5 Calumet.

Seems the shop in Mass is the place to get shutters done on Blad lenses these days and one of mine needs attention but I need to consider the 300 USD for a shutter job which is 400 in my money plus shipping and all the other costs that go with that. But it'll have to be done as it is my 150 that needs the slow speeds done.

A 500cm could solve your focusing problem as there is a selection of screens available. I've been using the 45 prism lately which is easier than the standard chimney finder. I'm in my 80th year and things don't seem as bright as they used to be but eyes are still good and with fast lenses on the Canons I seem to manage.

If you do get up to B.C. we're on Vancouver Island in Nanaimo, about 1 1/2 hours north of Victoria. Where is your sister's friend?

I have a small bit of stuff on my website if you want to have a look. I haven't got into sending photos on the forum yet as I really am a low tech! ) I've been called " the photo fossil " ). It's mostly older stuff but gives a little idea of what I do. I need to get more stuff on there that's more current. It's " wilfhatch.weebly.com "

Well, tomorrow is another darkroom day as I've still got a week's work on a photo restoration of up to 100 year old photos some of which are badly faded.
Then I'll get back into the bike shop as our favourite riding time is coming up.

Later, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Hi WIlf,

I don't actually process my own film, it's something I'll get into down the line but not for now. The roll with the cars stuff all went to Blue Moon Camera & Machine in Portland, Oregon, who apparently worked with Film Ferrania to establish some protocols for the film.

HERE IS A LINK to the P30 webpage on developing guidelines tho.

I do have a 500cm- unfortunately it is currently at Dave Odess' shop awaiting service up in Mass. But yep, you nailed it: roughly 300.00 USD for the lens and another 300USD for the camera repairs. I figure its well worth it, asI get so much pleasure out of shooting that Haselblad and after all, it's *only* money. laughing. BUT he's also 12-14 weeks out, so there's a significant time commitment there too! Not like I don't have other cameras to shoot. I have found tho, that cameras and lenses are a lot like motorcycles in terms of wifely (or girlfriend-y, in my case) viewpoints & reactions: YOU DON'T MEAN YOU NEED ANOTHER ONE????? WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU NEED THAT FOR????? DON'T YOU ALREADY HAVE X OF THOSE????? laugh

*sigh*

My 500cm has the gridded, split "brite" screen. It's worked really well for me over the past 2-3 years -and is the 1st film camera I learned to manually shoot (and focus) with. I've taught myself photography from scratch over this time period- prior to that, I shot everything with whatever camera set to "auto". My cameras got better over the years but I did not. At one point, I was showing some photos I'd taken to a pro photog buddy and he asked me what settings I used. When I said, "auto" he looked me funny, and was like, "oh". At that moment, I knew it was time to make an effort to move forward with my photography.

Anyway, I've loved shooting medium format. That said I've learned quite a lot and and just loving shooting old (and less old) cameras. Currently my oldest is a 1930s Voigtlander 6x9 folder. talk about tough. Next up the line would probably be a Praktica LTL (just got it, it was given to me, haven't shot it yet), the 500c (not sure which is older the 500c or the LTL?), a Canon AE1 Program, the 500cm, and the newest would definitely be my Voigtlander R3m.

Fuji already re-issued Acros 100, now being sold as Acros 100 II. I haven't shot it, tho I did like the original, and do have maybe 3 rolls of the last batch of original in the fridge- but have more or less moved on from it. I'm not a massive fan of Fuji films, although I have a 5 pack of Provia 100f and LOVE the color reversal film! Shot only a single roll of it and had decent results, not sure if you saw my color pix from Coney Island?

Anyway, I'll let you know where my sister's friend's place is located, once she gets back to me; she's A in Italy and B on a weekend holiday up in the Dolomites as we speak.

I'll be talkin' atcha.
Tom

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com