Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Norri Robertson
Norri Robertson
Glendale AZ USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
Tom. Thanks for the P30 download. Great reference.

I'll let you know when I get some and try it.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
thumbsup

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
This just in:

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Well done...

In somewhat the same mode and a shameless high-jack, new release from Toots and the Maytals.

Also throw some really positive energy his way. Google why...

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
Hey guys, hope this finds everyone well.

I've posted a bunch of recent photos in my thread, "A Gift", and also over in "Events", in Gordon's BRITBIKE REUNUION CAMP thread.

Just because I'm unsure who reads what around forum- I'm posting here, for your viewing pleasure (but you'll have to work at it a little smile ), links to my photo galleries of shots taken at that weekend gathering down in Georgia.

FILM SHOTS SLIDESHOW

SLIDESHOW: DIGITAL PIX BRITBIKE REUNION CAMP

Yeah, maybe you've seen these and maybe not. In any event, you've likely not seen all of them- so here they are now- all of them, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Cheers.
Have a nice day.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/13/20 5:46 pm.

1 member likes this: D.Bachtel
Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
And in other news, Miss C and I had a lovely little get-away over the past few days, went to someplace on the east coast I'd never been to before- Cape Cod. I'll have some photos to show for it, coming in spurts. Shot phone pics (many) digital pics (a few) and film pics (several rolls)

saw this S & S powered Morgan parked at the harbour one day

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]

old mailbox, made in Carlisle PA where I graduated high school & lived for may years

Looking more or less east from atop the PILGRIM MONUMENT

more views from on high

good number of working boats in the P town harbour.

which of course means for fresh seafood! You can bet we ate our way around town, too.

a fair number of people in town for the weekend- could not imagine how packed it must be in full season under "normal" conditions!

Stayed in a great B&B in a grand old house. Owner has the place decked to the gills

Never did make it to the ocean, unless you count being on a boat! Did have a short walk on a long beach tho, over on the bay side. We'd heard from a friend of Cynthia's who had been up there the week prior to our visit, that there'd been a number of recent great white shark sightings in the area- confirmed by "shark tracker" websites. We didn't "get" to see one but that music from Jaws does tend to loom when thinking of great white sharks, while at the beach.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/21/20 2:40 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
DID get to see a number of whales tho- a 1st for me. Mostly, the views were quite similar:

but we did get a few "other" views as well

the camera view belies the fact of distance to these critters- while the boat's captain did maintain a respectable distance, we were actually closer than the pix let on. Wildlife photos tend not to be very dramatic until one spends overly dramatic money on overly expensive lenses!

BUT it was a fun outing, seas were calm as could be and we saw quite a lot, HUMPBACKS, a FIN WHALE, a pod of ATLANTIC WHITE SIDED DOLPHINS

The tour guide was super knowledgeable and knew each whale by name, ID'ing each according to specific characteristics, per individual- which weren't discernible to my undisciplined eye. We were out for over 3 hours tho and all in all it was really great. I could not imagine how the ocean could have been any calmer, honestly. That factor alone really made the trip- BUT 2020 being what it is, the boat, like stores & restaurants in town, was operating below their actual capacity. So the fact that the boat wasn't fully jammed also made things better than they might have been under "normal" conditions!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/21/20 3:07 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
The drive up the cape to P-Town, all the way up, is a bit of a slog. I wanted to just take tiny roads and see a few things (breweries for example) and maybe shoot some photos along the way. At least a couple things worked against us however and in the end after some confusion (we're NOT lost, we're TOURING) we chose to simplify the day and just bolt on up, get settled, and proceed with our plan to eat and drink our way around town. All good.

BUT as we "toured" our way out the Cape, I spied a tiny airport with some vintage "tail-dragger" planes- Not knowing what I was looking at, I guessed DC-10, but later when I spoke to the owner he told me they were actually DC-3s. One day, after covering most of Ptown, Cynthia and I got into the car and took off strictly with the idea of shooting photos of the surrounding area.

She loaded some books and magazines, we bought a picnic lunch at the store next door to our B&B and away we went. Again, after some mucking about, we decided to go back to find this old airport. As we neared the place,I called and asked permission to walk around the airfield and shoot photos. The guy was amenable enough, even letting me walk around inside their hangar and shoot their old biplanes! All he said was "don't get hurt, don't touch anything, and watch out for airplanes!". Looking forward to seeing my film photos of these planes, but in the meantime here are a couple phone pics.

In retrospect, I could have shot more pics inside their office. Loads of cool vintage goo saws and stuff there. In truth I was somewhat out of sorts tho, my main camera body in in the shop for repairs so I was shooting medium format stuff with a secondary unit. Honestly, if any of these pics come out at all I'll be surprised! I did have 3 or 4 cameras along tho, so certainly my 35mm photos will be fine. Shot a mix of color & black and white film in 35mm & 120, so I don't expect this trip to be a total loss, far as photography goes.

turns out there was a cool vintage Plymouth Belvedere in the car park. I asked the boss man if that was his car and he said something like, "well if you ask me, since I put a lot of my time and my money into it, it's half mine. BUT if you ask my son, it's all his and I don't own any of it".

I don't normally shoot "selfies" but I like this one!

anyone who feels like seeing more phone & digital pix, the link to teh gallery is HERE.

At some point I'll have some film photos, but it might be a minute.

Thanks for traveling along!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/26/20 2:12 pm.

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
I've been wanting to make some longer rides around here but after riding so many of the same, bigger roads over the years, I now make random turns and ride much smaller lanes- using geographical features like ridges and creeks/rivers to guide me. North of where I live it's pretty easy because there's a series of arcing ridges & valleys. There are 2 major rivers in the area also- the Susquehanna, and the Juniata. The Juniata runs more or less W-E, and flows into the Susquehanna, which runs (in our area) more or less N-S. So navigating by eye and by feel has become something I enjoy, and do often.

Turns out there is a side benefit of occasionally finding something new along the way. Yesterday I was out riding. I ended up in Juniata County later on and turned off PA route 35, to the south,figuring on following my front wheel over to PA 850, the "plan" being to ride 850 back to its terminus in Marysville, at the Susquehanna. Along the way, I passed a road titled "Indian Mound Road". I had a car a ways behind me- which soon enough turned into a driveway, so I stopped and got out my phone, searching for "Juniata County Indian Mound". Which led me to the BOOK SITE Indian Mound. Naturally, I spun the bike around to explore a little further.

at first glance it's not as dramatic as say, some of the bigger mounds one might find along the Natchez Trace. But with what must have. been a pretty large population of people in this area, before European settlers took over, I't surpassing to me there aren't more things like this scattered around. OK maybe there are- but just not high on the radar. Maybe its time to actively search some of this stuff out!

here is a little more reading for you on the site

WIKI

Juniata County Historical Society (with maps)

Had a lunch stop at SKEETERS BBQ along the way!

Skeeters is situated high on a hill overlooking the dammed up Susquehanna River- at the point where US routes 11 & 15 split apart f rom one another, near Selinsgrove, PA.

One other "benefit" of navigating by the seat of one's pants, is occasionally making a "wrong" decision. I came into the town of Lewistown PA after following a road that kind of parallels US 522 (southbound in my case). More or less shooting for PA 333, I bumped into a barrier when I hit the Juniata River. Things went sideways when I turned downstream instead of going upstream and I ended up out on US 322 eastbound- a major, 4 lane divided highway at this segment. This took me past a section of hillside that I believe was exposed during construction of the highway- showing millions of years of rock formations. This is a well regarded site for geological students. I's a striking and dramatic visual as well! (not my photo)

I was resigned to taking 322 all the way down to the Mifflintown exit ad PA route 35, but when I saw an earlier exit, I took it. Came down to the roadway off the exit, looked right to ride thru the interchange- and saw this:

OF course I had to stop. Too bad I only had my phone along but it makes some great shots anyway.

I'd LOVE to see their signs all ltt up!

Back on the road, it wasn't long before I came into Mifflintown proper. Rolling out of town on PA 35, I saw a guy intently peering through a chain link fence on an overpass. Looking over my shoulder to see what his interest was, I saw a train on a siding below. Hooking back around, I found this old train depot- no longer in use but the siding appears to still be somewhat active!

On what could be seen at first glance, as "just another day" of riding around South Central (and Central) Pennsylvania, there's a whole lot more than meets the eye. One more episode in The Boredom Chronicles. A great day out, 347 kilometers- roughly 215 miles of smiles.

Thanks for riding along.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gotta love Gooney Birds...

(and Great White Sharks)

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
SO meanwhile, back at the proverbial ranch, I shot a roll of Fuji Provia back in May when Wade & I went to Coney Island. I kinda fell in love with the "positives" (Provia is a "slide" or "reversal" film- so you don't get negatives of your shots, you get magical little "positive" images instead).

That put me onto a track to find any black & white reversal film still existing into days world. It turns out that a European company, Adox, produces Scala films, 2 of which- Scala 160 & Silvermax are either specifically produced for reversal processing- or CAN BE reversal processed. Digging a little deeper, I came across a company called .dr5 Chrome. .dr5 Chrome is the brain child of a guy who invented his own proprietary development process- specially for reversal processing of black & white film stocks. He's moved around the country a few times since his company's inception, and now resides in Stuart, Iowa.
Turns out the .dr5 Chrome process can reversal process ALMOST any B&W film!

Being intrigued by this concept, I sent him a roll of Rollei Superpan 200. Got the scans in last night, he made an effort to deliver them to me after I posted something on Instagram, tagging him in my post! Most of the roll consists of shots either from the BRITBIKE REUNION CAMP weekend, or from messing around here, motorcycle rides and whatnot. For some odd reason, many of the 36 exposures on this roll were underexposed. Out of 36, I got 30 scans. Of those 30, I had 18 good shots. I suppose that's a 50% rate of success, but I must say this is the worst result I've had to date in probably 3 years of shooting almost nothing but film.

Anyway, that's really neither here nor there, jus sayin. The shots I DID get, I LOVE. SO here are a few for your viewing pleasure. The first is one of the underexposures- just barely salvageable, crooked horizon and all.

here are Wade's & my bikes on the trailer at a Tennessee bar b que joint we stopped at on our way home. I don't remember the name of the place but they had cars and bike stuff all over the building & grounds. Note the "floating" car above Wade's bike- parked on the ROOF of the place!

here's a car they had parked off to the side of their parking lot. Cool flame job.

Here's a covered bridge Miss C & I found on a ride one Sunday. This bridge is near Shippensburg, PA- I'd seen it before, quite a number of years ago. Since, I've gotten more active in searching out old covered bridges. Perry County, you may recall, has 14 covered bridges total, and I've shot + posted most of them over he past couple years. Most of them get used regularly- 4 are out of serivce- 2 replaced by modern bridges, 1 is on private property alongside an old mill, & 1 is located in a state park for pedestrian traffic only. That bridge, in Little Buffalo State Park, may have been relocated to where it sits now? Anyway, this bridge, unlike some if its sister bridges to the north, hasn't been refurbished and clearly gets hard use.

Miss C sitting comfortably, biding her time while I shoot photos

An Amish buggy came across the bridge as I was shooting, Man, I have a really tough time manually focusing on & shooting/photographing moving subjects! Result? Another underexposed shot... ah well.

Here's a link to my ZENFOLIO GALLERY if anyone wants to see the rest of these photos.

I sent 5 other rolls of film for processing recently so I should have those scans sometime early to middle of next week. AND I'm shooting vintage/hotrod/jalopy drags tomorrow!

whee.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/26/20 2:07 pm.

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Cool seems to cover it, thanks Tom

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1963 BSA Super Rocket
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1973 Guzzi Eldorado
2006 BMW R1200GS

Life member
Life member
Really like the one of Miss C on the bridge. Brilliant

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

2 members like this: ricochetrider, BeezaBryan
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Likewise Bill thumbsup

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride"
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan
who does not do politics

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Because it's Monday, because it's relevant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtU9xCbVY6I

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1963 BSA Super Rocket
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1973 Guzzi Eldorado
2006 BMW R1200GS

1 member likes this: ricochetrider
Kev. #825154 09/29/20 11:22 am
Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Kev.
Because it's Monday, because it's relevant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtU9xCbVY6I

wow. what a way to begin a day.

THANKS, Kev.
All the Playing For Change videos I've seen are absolutely fantastic.

Thanks, Bill & Bryan, I like that pic, too!

Many thanks to everyone for checking in. I appreciate it. thumbsup

Hey meanwhile I sent 5 rolls of film in for processing about a week ago so there should be some new photos to post soon? I also shot bunch of film on Sunday at a vintage drag race, AND there MIGHT be something in the pipeline for the weekend...

Watch this space

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/29/20 11:32 am.

Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
Planes, Trains, Automobiles, Boats....
Got the latest scans in from the lab this afternoon. Guess I shot a lot of motorized stuff over the past few weeks- and more to come!

been wanting to shoot this mid 70s Monte Carlo for about a year now

Norfolk Southern rail yard just up the road a piece

mid 60s Ford truck rotting away in an alley around the corner from the Monte Carlo

P Town Mass

the above color photos (rectangles) were shot on a film that's new to me. Cinestill 50D. I like it.

stay tuned.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/29/20 11:36 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Natchez Trace, in Pennsyltucky? Down here we all know it as a road from west of Nastyville down to Jackson, Mississippi. A beautiful road, no commercial traffic.
I appreciate the 'Gooney Bird' DC3 (C47). Oddly enough, it had a better glide ratio than the troop gliders it towed. The last time I saw a biplane was while shooting a movie at a small airport in Nashville. The local traffic reporter kept an old Italian biplane there which he flew for his report.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
David, No Natchez Trace up here, but those mounds were what I was visualizing in my head as I back tracked to see the Books Mound! I've driven most of The Trace. We didn't get on at Nashville, but a bit further south. Rode it all the way to Natchez, MS, then followed the river down to Nawlins.

Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
I was fascinated with the symmetry of these tiny waterfront cabins up on Cape Cod- at Truro, Mass. Each cabin is named for a type of flower!

DOPE
DOPE
imo the ripple marks are vastly more aesthetic than the cottagez

sedimentary ztructures are an entire field og geomorphology all by themselvez and reveal paleohydrolgy by their shape, wavelengths, grain size diztribution and so on

i cannot pasz a sedimentary outcrop without looking forripple marks in the stone and have brought home many piecez of leaverite az a result

your photograph is really nice

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Those look kinda like the little houses that Alcoa Aluminum built for the factory workers. There are also neighborhoods like that near the labs at Oak Ridge. My parents probably lived in similar dwellings just after WW2.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tom, been enjoying going back over your wanderings. The Norton pics made me recall a chap who turned up to our end of year MZ rally in Kent a couple of years ago on a fully loaded Norton.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm still wandering around on my Beemer, though it has gained a proper RT fairing now.

I'm pretty sure I recognise some of these Pennsyltucky locations!

KarlB
Wondering what the next project will be!
Moto Mojo
OP Online Content
Moto Mojo
Hi Karl,

That Norton looks like a proper Mile Muncher! Although that mighty top case may be a bit much for my own tastes. Nice set up, all infall tho.

Guess I hadn't realized you didn't already have a factory fairing on the R80, but thinking back, wasn't it a Windjammer or Krauser or something like? Didn't realize its a mono either! Well another day, something new learned! Nice bike (and fairing) for your part of the world! You can laugh at rain, wind, and cold as you toodle around on that!

Cheers!
Tom

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tom, the Beemer had a Rickman Polaris fairing previously, not bad weather protection, except for the hands.
It did rattle a bit and the wind did rattle down the back of your neck.

RT faring is much quieter and protects the legs and hands better ime.

Just need a winter rally up in Yorkshire to test it out in some real weather, but our usual place in How Stean Gorge, Nidderdale, HG3 5SF, has been sold, so awaiting to see if we're going to use it again.

KarlB
Wondering what the next project will be!
1 member likes this: ricochetrider
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com