Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Hugh Jörgen
Hugh Jörgen
Florida
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#809404 05/19/20 1:31 am
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Part 1, 18 May, 2020

Ok so I'm freakin BORED stiff. No work, none on the horizon. Been riding around, all over the neighborhood- in fact I've ridden so much locally that I'm bored with that. Nothing for it then but to make random turns and go in new directions. Today, I raised I had not put up a single photo or ride report all year long, in spite of riding more than normal. Not really taking any digital photos, guess I'm bored with my digit-cam too.

Today, after reading Shaun's ride report , I thought "well why Not do a ride and take some photos!" SO I got my digital camera all ready to go- then rode off without it by accident! Well, there's always the phone, so here it is. But then when I was thinking about it some more, I thought maybe I'd begin a new thread for the season, to cover all my rides, post some pix from my various film cameras, and whatnot. Maybe it'll be a "thing". I'll. be busy trying to occupy myself for most of this year, the way things are looking right now for the entertainment industry.

Right then, here we go. This afternoon, I hopped on the Norton. Thinking on it just a little, I decided to ride downriver. For those who don't know the River in question is the Mighty Susquehanna river. I hadn't ridden straight south any time lately, so I figured I'd ride as close to the river as I could, feeling my way along as I went. I can, in theory, get "lost", but only to the extent that I don't really know "where" I am- but also knowing that it's only matter of time until I come out either on a road I know, or come out into some PLACE I know. I only live in one of the most populous sections of the entire country, right? So it's not like I'll need the North Star and the satellites for navigating my way home.

My ride began going through the next town south, New Cumberland. I lived down there for a few years above my old friend' hair salon. Across the street from there is a cool old building where another good friend has a hippie burrito business, this is the HQ location. It's called Neato Burrito. My fri ends Shayne. & Grace decided last year to have somebody paint a massive mural on the entire east side of the building and boy is it ever a ton of fun. SO that made a good fist stop for a photo.

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]

Heading south, I aimed my front wheel for Goldsboro, a tiny little village right on the river, straight across from the now defunct Three Mile Island. Finally, it's shut down after all these years. Can you believe the power company that owns it tried to sweet talk the Pennsylvania legislators into having us taxpayers foot the bill for clean-up on the place? Well THAT didn't get very far, thankfully.

river looking like a lake here above one of the many dams

Big view looking back upriver, from this hilltop

Further downstream, at the little town York Haven, there are a. couple other power stations, One is water powered and the other is coal fired.

Since there's a lot of railroad activity around here, and trains help supply the. above power facility, there's all these railroad bridges around. Most of them are made out of Ironstone, which is super heavy and dense.

A lot of iron was forged locally back in the day, and there are more than a few place where one can fin old iron furnaces. This, that I just found today, is the biggest one I've seen, and. one of the most complete too.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/19/20 1:49 am.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

1 member likes this: GrandPaul
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
So basically, I left York Haven, went onto Brunner Island, Crossed the Conewago Creek, and rode south ish, sticking to small lanes as I found my way along.
If I wanted to ride some dirt roads, I could have stayed closer to the river's edge, but then I wouldn't have found all the great roads! I came up off the river a ways and made a hard left onto Gravel Hill Road, which ended up being a long run on a handful of excellent roads, through deep, newly green forest!

Eventually, I crossed the Codorus Creek, and kept making my way sought, over hill & dale on some really exhilarating roads with zero cars. Again, I could have stuck closer to eh river had I want to ride dirt. I was beginning to realize that at some pint I couldn't help but end up at Wrightsville. At Wrightsville there's anole cement bridge that was built back in the 1930s? (I think). I could cross the river there and head back towards home.

There is also an old foundry here, and it's now a bit of a high end restaurant & tourist trap. We've stopped here on rides before to enjoy a bite and beverage while admiring the views of the river. It's lovely tho for sure and if you're ever down that way, be sure to pop into the John Wright Foundry to check them out!

Now this is where the ride could well continue south along the river, there's a bunch of good riding down in here- AND if you go far enough, you can cross the river at the Conowingo Dam and turn back north through Lancaster County's lovely farm country.... but that gets complicated, and besides, it was later in the day and I wanted more to get back towards home. So I crossed the old bridge after gassing up and found my way to PA 441 North. BUT not before taking some pix at waterside in Columbia- an old Susquehanna river commerce town from way back.

Riding back upriver on PA 441, it seemed I maybe could have stuck to some smaller roads, and now looking at the map, I see it's possible to zig and zag a little, but there's a lot of industrial stuff not eh east side of the river, including a couple more power stations- It'll do to take more time on another occasion to explore this area some- and there's a bit of a hike just north of Columbia that leads to an astonishing view of the river. Today, the parking lot for that was slammed tho, so not a good idea to get that close to so many people..... I've walked it before tho, and we'll do it again in the future. Also, looking at the map of the west. side of the river, I do see I could have stuck a lot closer to the river- again, most of that would be dirt roads, tho. It's doable, its not like single track or cow paths... Just wasn't going to get into that today- and I rode some GREAT Stuff along the way! Will definitely show you some more of that sometime soon.

SO meanwhile one last pic from today... up close & personally this time- and down wind too! laugh

Cheers, everyone. Please excuse the phone pix. Some of these I was able to do some mild editing. on and some I wasn't so the pix are a little rough today.
Thanks for riding along just the same.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/19/20 1:53 am.

1 member likes this: GrandPaul
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
We need to go that direction again on one of our rides.... I forgot how great the roads were that we use to ride when I was in Dover.... They really are great all over PA

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Man!!!! What a ride! What a bike!!!! Great post!

1954 B31 Plunger 1966 BSA Hornet 1969 T120R 1969 TR6C 1971 B25SS 1972 B50SS 1969 B44 Victor Special
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nice assortment of bikes there Kevin Victor

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Kevin Victor
Man!!!! What a ride! What a bike!!!! Great post!

thanks dude!

Originally Posted by wadeschields
We need to go that direction again on one of our rides.... I forgot how great the roads were that we use to ride when I was in Dover.... They really are great all over PA

My thought exactly bro. If we go on a weekend, we can pop down to that old biker honky tonk joint down along the Susquehanna in Maryland. We c Ould come. back thru Lancaster but that gets us into the city and also adds a lot more miles on the day. I rode that big loop on the K1200 that day we met after you got off form work at Atomic a few. years ago. Coming back off the river up that east side I rode US 222 or some such. So not a tiny lane,AND it brought me straight thru the city of Lancaster!

Although we could probably figure out a way to stick closer to the river and ride the whole way back to Harrisburg.

Better start THAT day at sunrise tho! laugh

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
OK so I'm bored, right? Probably go for a ride today, but in the meantime, here are some recent photos. I've been shooting quite a bit of film lately. I actually have a project I started- documenting Pennsyltuckey's old coal mining region's tiny villages & small towns. The area seems mostly kind of depressed, even th there's active mining going on. The color shots are 35mm, the B&W shots medium format. YES, I said "film".

Here are a couple *other* shots of some typical Pennsyltuckey stuff- old 1 room schoolhouses and covered bridges

OK so what's everyone else doing right now? Let me remind you all that anyone can post photos and show us your rides around your neighborhood, wherever you are.
You guys have bikes, yes?
You're riding them, yes?
You have a camera, or at least a phone, yes?
Alright then what's the hold up.

So there are multiple tutorials around this site nohow to post photos. Easiest and best way is to have a photo "host" site. Sure there are numerous free sites for Hosting and there are a few real good paid sites. I use Zenfolio, but there is also another good one called SmugMug. Get it sorted anklet's see your rides!

NO PRESSURE, "just saying". grin

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
OK s I've been d doing a lot of riding. WAY more "riding" than "taking photos". SO no pix. Yesterday I rode 277 kms, about 172 miles. On my R100RS. I was flogging it pretty hard, I guess. Blew out a fork seal, tho and at. one point the front end began to feel "funny". Not "funny LOL" but "funny uh-oh". Stopped to take a look and my front tire was drastically low on air. Thankfully I was on the edge of a small town, so I limped s-l-o-w-l-y back into the town to a convenience store with gas pumps and and air pump/compressor vending machine.

Cranked the tire up to over pressure, as I was about 30 or so miles from home, said a prayer of "pretty please" and eased my way back to the house. I made it without further ado, and just now checked the tire. It's holding air, and my "kick test" seems to indicate it being roughly similar in feel to when I kicked it yesterday after airing it up. All I can figure out is that with the bad fork seal, I might have partially and momentarily broken the bead on one of the hard downhill sweepers, and released some air out of the tire?

Suffice it to say I rode considerably slower going home than I had ridden earlier! *whew*

My route, if you want to follow along was something like

US 11/15 north out of Harrisburg to Duncannon PA
322 east across the Susquehanna river to PA 147 north>Halifax
225 from Halifax up to PA 890, over to US 61 to Sunbury
US 15 N to PA 304

I took 304 over to Wildwood Road and noodled my way along Penns Creek for quite a while. If you look at the topography, you'll see I was also following a ridge. I was on the tiniest lanes, more than once I got onto a road that I thought might dead end on me. Thankfully there is almost always a "no outlet" sign if that's the road doesn't go through. Following my front wheel, the creek, and the ridgeline- and vaguely knowing where I was headed, I eventually came out onto my targeted return route, PA 235. This route was pretty much following the edge of Penns Valley- paralleling PA route 45.

I rode 235 south though McAllistersville and picked up PA 333, riding that over to Thompsontown where I got up on 322 eastbound for a few miles. Got off at the Millerstown exit and followed the Juniata downriver to Newport. After airing up my tire, I rode 34 south to the top of Sterrett's Gap, made left onto Sunnyside Drive, going down the mountain out onto 944 east, which basically took me home. 944 ends at Enola which is upriver (on the Susquehanna) from me.

I think this all took me about 5-6 hours. Pennsylvania is perfect for motorcycling. Great roads, very little traffic. I've ridden so much of the state that in many places, I simply cannot get truly lost. At some point I'm going to come out onto a road I know, or that is a PA state route. I do carry an old road atlas. in my saddle bag tho, so I have a handy reference if I need it, and there's always my phone for that matter- along as I have signal. there's a series of ridges and valleys that run in a downward arc to the south and west, and it's virtually impossible to get lost in that region- l you have to do is follow the ridges on either side of each valley. Some of my friends marvel ay my "ability" to navigate by landscape features, but there's no real secret to it- after all I've lived here for most of my life now...

Well so far, anyway!

Maybe one day soon, I'lll slow down and take some photos. ha ha

1 member likes this: Noe
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Never slow down Tom, 'cos the Reaper might catch up!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C7CZYL?ref_=dbs_r_series&storeType=ebooks

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
As you is bored, how about a trip down memory lane .... remember this?

DSCF2338.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C7CZYL?ref_=dbs_r_series&storeType=ebooks

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Thanks for the ride report and photos Tom.
It’s a long way from Harrisburg but a favourite of mine when riding down to State College from Niagara was a little road off Pa Route 120 at the village of Sinnamahoning. It runs up to the Quahanna Wild Area and is called Wycoff Run, and it has dozens of great curves and elevation changes. When I got up to the end of this road I liked it so much I turned around and ran it all the way back down and then turned around and went back up to continue my journey.
Pennsylvania has some great roads, where I live it is flat and boring!
Cheers. Stay safe and stay healthy.
Don in Niagara

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
1 member likes this: ricochetrider
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Graham Ham
As you is bored, how about a trip down memory lane .... remember this?

Hi Graham! Yes, I remember it well, the old castle at.... well wherever it was in Yorkshire. Names of the village and the castle escapes me currently.
Nice pic, BTW!

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Don Leaming
Thanks for the ride report and photos Tom.
It’s a long way from Harrisburg but a favourite of mine when riding down to State College from Niagara was a little road off Pa Route 120 at the village of Sinnamahoning. It runs up to the Quahanna Wild Area and is called Wycoff Run, and it has dozens of great curves and elevation changes. When I got up to the end of this road I liked it so much I turned around and ran it all the way back down and then turned around and went back up to continue my journey.
Pennsylvania has some great roads, where I live it is flat and boring!
Cheers. Stay safe and stay healthy.
Don in Niagara

Don, howdy, man!
I've ridden up & down 120 along the west branch of the Susquehanna more than a couple fo times over the years. Was just thinking recently that I need to get back up there. I'll check that road out on the map, I may have ridden it already. SO many roads running north off 120 run up/down creek valleys that spill into the Big River. A bunch of them run all the way up to US Hiway 6. I'll have to take a couple days and do some distance riding since I can't work- and it doesn't LOOK like Ill work at all this year, which is to say that all major tours have canelled- and nobody forsees any concerts in arenas or theaters or stadiums in 2020!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'm still getting acquainted with the roads in my new neighborhood, but I grew up about 70 miles east of here. Once I find a major road I know where I am.
It's fun following roads with animal names and ridge or hollow in the names.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by DavidP
I'm still getting acquainted with the roads in my new neighborhood, but I grew up about 70 miles east of here. Once I find a major road I know where I am.
It's fun following roads with animal names and ridge or hollow in the names.

I agree. "Hollow" is always good. Around here "Ridge Road" and "Creek Road" is everywhere. In Pa there are many many ridges of all sizes and I think I read somewhere once that PA has something 6,000 miles canoeable creeks and rivers. Those two road names are everywhere!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tom bro dude sweet....Just Sweet my man, but you're going to have to stop this, or one day soon y'all will have a big fat English guy, standing on the porch of the sky tower, asking for the key to big Red.... wink

We could ride them roads for a couple of days, then go pay Don a visit up in Niagara, no Doot About it eh, sure would like to have a beer with THAT dude... thumbsup

He could tell us about the Larch the Birch and the mighty Scots Pine. And point out which tap we need to pull, to get us some Moose juice.... beerchug

In the meantime..... I'm available in a few hours for riding a photo taking, watch this space..... wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Oh Shaun. Sorry lad but I, like you, live in the south, the Deep South, about as far south as as you can get in this land. There are a few scots pines, but the birch and larch can’t hack the climate or the soil. They like the far north Canadian Shield, lots of granite and some moose, grey wolf and black bear. The native forest around here is pretty well all gone, it was Carolinian forest, sycamore, oak, soft maple and such.
Besides the 5 million people who live within a hundred mile radius the whole place is nearly flat farmland. But! ... little country pubs, that we got, so all is not lost. Any and all of you guys are welcome here, anytime.
Cheers
Don in Niagara

1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Shaun, Don, LETS DO IT! I'm hankerin to get nawth. To get ANYwhere really. This sitting around, not my style dudes. Meanwhile just got some scans in from having my recent film developed. Here's Sixth Street Specials in NEEEW YAWK SITTY

and a close up of one of the Bing carbs on the *cough cough* R100RS

cheers guys, gotta bounce
more later

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo

1 member likes this: Hugh Jörgen
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
There is the small problem of coming north with the border being closed to all non essential travel. Afraid a ride north will have to wait until this virus goes away.
If we leave the province and get back in we have to go in quarantine for 14 days! We did that already in March when we got back from AZ.
Don

1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Don, no worries daddy o, all good things in all good time!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tom Bro dude, y'all have a photo of Bing, but where's Bob.... shocked

Bing & Bob are always together, my man....Just sayin'

This not going anywhere lark is doing my head in dudes, can't even have a pint, or get me hair cut. Out on the Commuter today, and had to stand outside the Fish & Chip shop.... cry

It's getting to be silly now, worst thing of all, I can't ride to Croatia with the lads. And THAT'S what the Curry Muncher was purchased for.... frown

Oh well, always another time and another place dudes, do the British thing. Keep that upper lip stiff, and carry on... beerchug

Last edited by Kent Shaun; 05/31/20 4:06 pm.

K
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
K
Snapper Soup Anyone?

I resemble some places near you! I grew up on a farm on rt. 896 just outside Newark, Delaware just down the road from Lancaster and the Amish country. Except that I moved to Nova Scotia in 1973 but still have roots down there.

I took the Norton out for a stretch today to find some of the old bridges, as most of them have been replaced with "Bailey" bridges, so not so picturesque. But here are a few.

This one on the Tusket River near East Kempt which is about 20 miles from me.

And a little further up on the Tusket River I found one of the old iron bridges, but you have to go on some of the gravel roads to find them.

And finally, I found a companion crossing the road. Snapper Soup anyone? The snapping turtles come out of the lakes and rivers at this time of year to lay their eggs and can quite often be found crossing the roads. I stopped and helped this guy along after he posed for the photo.

Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 05/31/20 7:49 pm.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Tom, thanks for posting! Not that I have any REAL idea where you live in Nova Scotia but it LOOKS (to me) rather like the peninsula, than "oop nawth" on The Island.

Nice bike, BTW.

I'm riding with at least one buddy today, maybe I'll have some pix to add.... *spoiler alert*: these guys ride *cough cough* Harleys.

Cheers everybody! Happy June. WOW is it really June already? 3 months of sitting around never went so fast. ha.

Oh BTW to end on a note of humor, I saw a thing the other day after the Space-X/NASA rocket launch. It was a tweet from somebody saying "Congratulations to the 2 astronauts who left earth this morning. Good Choice" laughing

Meanwhile back down here, for lack of having a rocket, WE RIDE.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Well I'm digging deep to find some friends to ride with, calling a long time biker buddy of mine today. Actually we tend to see each other periodically as a matter of course, and had been talking about going out together some day- But he ONLY rides when it's sunny out! So there goes most days... laughing

Thankfully, today was quite sunny, if not a wee bit chilly. I saddled up early and hit the road. This guy's been bugging me to come over to see his garage. He had somebody do a lot of work in it and has jazzed it up considerably. I've been kinda putting off going to see it, because well frankly..... well there's really no good reason, I've just had. other stuff happening. Today I tossed him a bone so he could show off his man-cave. And he tossed me one and said he would actually roll his bike out and RIDE. grin

Well his garage make-over IS pretty nice.

AND he keeps his bike pretty clean. Well OK he keeps his bike VERY clean

so it's not like he's going to leak oil onto his nice new. plastic flooring or anything. But don't let me go al. sour grapes or anything here. His garage IS lovely. HE likes it and that's what counts, and wouldn't I love to have a garage? Sure, I would!

Well anyway, it was more about riding so before too long we got on with it. We took off from Mount Holly Springs and rode... well I guess we rode south. Along the south mountain we went, thru farm country, down to the small town of Shippensburg. From there we rode out into the Cumberland Valley, sort of loosely following a route that Wade, and Dave M and I rode a few weeks ago- but in reverse. That only worked so well and soon enough we came out onto a bigger road named Roxbury Road, that led us to, well Roxbury. We got out there and tho it's nutlike I'd never been here before, but for some reason, I guess I'd never noticed this one old guy's yard. I HAD to stop and get some photos of this stuff.

Seems there was an old foundry in or near Roxbury for many years or decades. Mr John worked there his whole life and by the looks of things, he has one of almost everything they ever made, on display in his yard. Of course we weren't about to go traipsing around his property without permission, and getting it was easy as he was out working in the yard. We had fun talking to him and boy was he a talker.

Leaving him, we popped over the north mountain (having crossed the valley by now) on PA 641, heading over to Spring Run at the intersection of 641 and PA 75. Here at this crossroads are a grocery store, a restaurant, a bank and a gas stop/convenience store called the Spring Run Pit Stop. Among other things the Pit Stop has a really good burger- their very own Boom Boom Burger. Currently they are only offering take out food service, tho- so I got burger to go and sat outside to enjoy it. The Pit Stop is active and lively. Miss C & I stopped in there a couple weeks ago on a sunny Saturday- there were probably 40 or more motorcycles gassing up or parked, with bikes of all sorts passing by, and coming and going the whole time we sat there. That area has a large Amish community so there is often at least one hors & buggy tied up, and more often than not, buggies rolling past the place as you sit and enjoy the sunshine and people watching.

Today was pretty quiet tho, so we didn't hang around too long. We rode back up 641 a very short distance towards Roxbury, but made a left and stayed in that valley, known as Path Valley- where 75 runs northeast to southwest in a giant arc. The idea was to stay as close to the mountain as we could, on the smallest paved roads there are. I often do this- just follow my front wheel and "navigate" by feel, and by looking at the ridgeline or other landscape features. Also, it. helps a bit to have a basic understanding of where north, south ,east & west are... but in truth, I know most of Pennsylvania so well that I can pretty much go anywhere within 150 miles of home, and not REALLY get truly lost. I might not know where Im going specifically, but for sure I'll come to road I know at some point. The basic ridge-and-valley geography of the middle part of the state does help in their regard. in that for the most part, you're either traversing a ridge or running parallel to one.

Anyway, Route 75 sticks pretty close to one ridge so there really aren't a whole lot of roads out there. Eventually we ended back out on 75, so wit limited options, we turned off to the left and bumbled around over there. That too led us back out to 75 in the tiny village of Concord, and tend east/north again.

Shortly after leaving that village we turned off to our right onto Horse Valley road. I'd always heard of this valley, and had ridden up and down 75 many times. Today we wreaking an effort to do more "bumbling" than flogging it, and Horse Valley seemed to fit the bill. SO off we rode into the (relative) unknown. Well the road went and went and went some more. Looking now at the map, we could maybe have extended our tour fo Horse Valley a bit but I don't recall seeing any paved roads leading off, although the map does show s some side roads that wind further up against the mountain. We stayed the course however and came back out on 75 at East Waterford.

It wasn't long before we turned onto PA 850 and headed back towards more familiar territory. Over the ridge we rode into Perry County. Gassing up at Louisville we rode over the next ridge on PA 233 at Col Denning State Park, situated in the Doubling Gap. We picked up a shortcut at Ginters Mill up to route 944 East and rode that direction for a while until we decided to randomly cut back across the Cumberland Valley. We rode past Opossum Lake, and traveled Creek Road along the Conodguinet. Finally we cut more directly across the valley and wound up back at Mount Holly Springs. I rode home from there and ended up with about 183 miles on for the day. The bikes ran great and it was a great day out!

here's a LINK TO THE REST OF MY PIX from John's yard if ya feel like looking.

Tomorrow is supposed to be another good weather day, then later in the week its supposed to be back to humid and hot.
Might take the bike out again for more of the same! I've done so much riding lately, I need to figure out someplace different to ride! I'm going to get some work done on my 2 bigger bikes- once that's done I'll foray out further afield. Maybe do some overnighters up in. northern PA or something. Looks like it's going to be a LONG summer of almost daily riding!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tom bro dude, once again WoW, LOVED your mate's Harley and his garage reminded me that my own garage's floor covering, needs changing as it's almost at Flash Point.... shocked

Then just as I thought I was safe, I clicked on the link to see the rest of the photos from John's yard, Jeez Louise, well that knocked it outta the park dude. Couple of things there I'd sure love here, and there was I thinking only Blighty had eccentrics..... clap

OK dude, keep riding and posting, sure makes life easy seeing y'all enjoying the time off y'all got.... beerchug

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Shaun, me n Wade went to Coney Island a few weeks ago. Just in case you're not hungry, here's a few pix I took on transparency (color reversal) film, from that very same run.

Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs, Coney Island USA
Hasselblad 500cm
80mm Planar lens
Fuji Provia 100F film

love these colors!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 06/02/20 8:43 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
One of my current photo projects is documenting Pennsylvania's coal country- its small towns and back streets, even some of the mining operations- if I can get close enough to that. I mentioned this above, in a post but here is a LINK TO MY GALLERY OF SHOTS that I have so far. This is a mix of phone pix and stuff I shot on film- including B&W and some color stuff. All the B&W so far has been shot in medium format (120) film, the color on 35mm.

The coal industry reaches far & wide in PA- a lot of folks still het their homes with coal, for example. This means there are aspects of the coal industry in unlikely places, so I don't always have to travel up to "coal county" to find some "coal country content".

Here's a teaser pic (cropped from 6cm X 6cm square to a 3:2 rectangle) that I like, but see more photos in the link if ya want. These were shot in and around Frackville PA

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Hi everyone, hope this finds you well. We had a nice weekend, seems the lockdown dam got a tiny crack which soon became a flood of stuff going on. It began when Cynthia told me that Gerry told her that there was some sort of motorcycle event going on on Saturday. Good news may travel fast but this- although good news, was shadowy and incoming from via the grapevine!! Seems that the NYC BritBike gang from Sixth Street Specials was coming in as well, so this was news indeed. I figured I better get a handle on this and flush it all out.

I called Wade and asked HIM what was happening. He told me there were flat track races scheduled for a dirt track out near the town of Hanover, and that the crew of our friends in the city was definitely coming down to race. He couldn't seem to fill in any details tho so a quick jot out the the World Wide Web soon turned spa. phone number for the Trail Ways dirt track. I called and spoke the nice man, there who confirmed that they were holding racing on Saturday with Vintage class races in the earlier half of the day and more modern racing going on in the evening. Well Yee Haw. Out of all the usual vintage motorcycle events we normally do all spring and into the year, everything so far has been cancelled. Here, however, after all this shyte, was an honest to goodness vintage bike event!

Saturday dawned and boy was it HOT. We've gone already this year from being miserable and cold with some rain, straight into already having had our first tropical storm with a 2nd having made landfall yesterday, and temperatures slated to be into the high 90s all this week already! What the absolute f*@#. I was up E-A-R-L-Y. Not that I saw the *actual* dawning of the day but folks, I was up not too long afterwards. The "plan" was to hotfoot it down to Wades and meet him at 0800. Gates opened at 8 with practice runs and qualifying heats shortly thereafter, and racing at 10,00. Rather than ride down, we took the car so we could handle carrying all the camera gear. Wade had his "big rig" digital Canon and also a sweet little folding Polaroid for some instant gratification. I was packing a couple film cameras, my digital rig and my phone.

We were able to drive right into the pits as part of the "Sixth Street Team". Things are pretty loose out here in the country! It didn't take long to locate our gang, they were there with the bikes out, already getting set to begin the day.

We had a bit of a mooch around the pit area. When all was said and done, I took zero photos with my digital camera. I shot a few rolls of film and shot s one phone pix. Wade shot a handful of polaroids, not sure he ever shot a whole lot with his digital camera?

Of course there was a bunch of eye candy around

But that's about all I have, since I was mostly shooting film.

Here's some shots of the initial heats tho. The first class of bikes out was the old American iron

These guys weren't running too fast but boy was it great to see them out there in the dirt!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 06/08/20 12:20 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
There was a pretty big selection of bikes. Lots of Harleys in various classes, twins and singles running Rotax and different motors. There were 2 stroke and other Japanese bikes, in a couple of classes, and of course the Britbikes in 2 or 3 classes. I think we stayed through the entire process of qualifying heats, but left outta there by early afternoon, before proper racing began.

Here's one more of the old American bikes

SO, it was a great day out- even as hot as it was. We had a great time hanging out talking to people and taking photos. We kinda had to hot foot it out because Wade had some job that got pushed forward and Miss C and I had an evening "engagement", a bit of a cookout and get together with a few friends elsewhere.

Not sure how many other motorcycle events there will be all summer- but you can be sure I'll make every effort to get out there with the cameras. In a couple weeks or so, I'll have this film processed so look for more photos at some point. I have 5 rolls out for processing right now, too- so maybe there'll be something to share from that lot in the interim.

Cheers, everybody! I appreciate y'all tagging along.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A great day out Tom.... Here are the polaroids I took at the races .

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Thanks fr posting, Wade! Those have such a great, lo fi look to them. Now I wanna get a polaroid!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
WaBob would love the "oldie" photo effects. He posts a photo every Tuesday on fecebook.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
SX70 and polaroid 600 are the two that I use and I know they still make the film

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
SX70 and polaroid 600 are the two that I use and I know they still make the film

Yes and they sell the cameras (brand new) too, but WOW, they're not giving them away.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Polaroid 600 is the standard film used on a lot of microcsope photo backs.
The volume used in the iron & steel foundries would put Fashion Week to shame.

Did not know the Sx 70 was still being made.
Excellent colour from them but they do tend to fade with time.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
DOPE
DOPE
i used to use panatomic x, 32 asa. had an old leica and a. adjacent darkroom

nice setup

2 members like this: ricochetrider, wadeschields
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I havent tried it with the new emulsions but the SX70 was the choice for squishing the emulsion around while it was developing , for a cool look... Never my thing but I should try it to see if the new film still does it...

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Things have been a little less boring for me. lately, as I've been out and about. Last week was a short run south to visit friends and family. First stop, Onley/Onancock, on Virginia's Easter Shore, where a long overdue visit was in order, I mean since I was driving past and all...

Got out of the car at my friends' sweet OLD house and they had a bunch of crepe myrtle going in their yard. This brought back many fond memories from my youth- before I lost my way! laughing Seriously tho, both my. grandmothers had crepe myrtle growing in their yards and we kids would clamber all up, in, and over them.

Loads of history in this area going back since just about the beginning of. time. My buddy there is a history buff but also a bit of a treasure hunter. Arrowheads and such were hs thing for a long tie but more recently his subject of choice has been searching out the first settlements by Europeans along the coastal shores in that area. This has resulted in bits and bobs, from ancient belt buckles and coins, with other more mundane items fr om daily life in Colonial Virginia. He was lucky enough to hunt out one of the first settlements and be the first one to search the land- turns out this was located on private property and nobody had given a thought to what may've gone on on the spot before he got to it! Sorry but no. pix of any of that, I did have a bunch. of cameras along but as of yet haven't sent film to the lab, so all of what I'm showing here are phone pix, as I never even got my digital camera out of the car!

Moving south, the next stop was Norfolk to see some first cousins, taking the scenic route, or course

this cool old church building sold for 32,000.00 not all that long ago!

every little wide spot has an old RR station. sadly, the railroad stopped running down here ages ago

crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel: somehow this never grows old. However many times I've crossed this, it thrills me to pieces to this day

well the HOPE, while in Norfolk, was to see cousins from both sides of the family and to drop off china sets I inherited from my paternal and maternal grandmothers via my mom... Sadly, my cousin on my mom's side and her daughter just didn't respond to any of my communications! Ah well, I had a really great time with my cousin Ginny and her family... great people, so genuinely nice and sweet.

Ginny's youngest daughter lives next door and the four grandkids are a lively lot! Good kids, and believe me, there's a lot of character going on in this bunch, can you tell?

Is it possible to fall instantly head over heels in love with a gang of young relatives? Methinks so.

Moving down to North Carolina, the next stop was at the old family home place on the south side of Raleigh NC. My older cousins there are a really nice bunch of folks. Funny, even tho our extended family isn't real close and never has been, I continually marvel at how lucky I am to be related by blood to so many wonderful people! To a person, every member of our family and extended family is just super! Without exception- there is not one difficult or even remotely bad person, each and every one is a total joy to be around. What a blessing, I wonder. how many. people can honestly make this claim?

SO meanwhile My cousin Nancy is currently fighting cancer. Nothing for it then in the middle of the ongoing pandemic to stay elsewhere. Again, thankfully- Having fr vends everywhere has its upsides. A quck reach-out to our BritBike.com buddy Jim Hunsberger and I was set to spend a couple days with he and his wonderful wife Ann Marie, near to our family, in the smaller NC town of Fuquay (pronunced "few-kway") Varina. Again this is an old town that still has a semi active railway line, and still has its old downtown rail station building...

Last edited by ricochetrider; 06/23/20 3:30 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
the back of one of the outbuildings on the property that once belonged to my old Great Aunts'. The house is one of the few remaining original homes in the area, owned by one of the original families living out between Raleigh & Fuquay Varina- and is established as having historical significance.

After a couple days at The Home Place, and a fantastic visit with Jim & Ann Marie (thanks so much, you guys are awesome!) and. my cousins,

I moved over to Greensboro NC to see my brother. He's working and living there currently, although he landed there by accident. He had told me there's not much happening. in the town but I beg to differ! Loads of cool old neighborhoods with typical small cottage homes, similar to those you might find in many I not most of the bigger southern cities, numerous little hotspots within the city limits with old shops turned into commerce zones, neat and interesting pockets serving their immediate neighborhoods. Loads of character, and some of the old textile mills were converted to living/working complexes, as well. Ray & I had supper out then spent the evening just driving around checking out the city and various zones within the city limits.

Next day, I headed back north. Were I to bee-line it, I could make it home in roughy 6-7 hours from Greensboro, so that allows time to strike a more leisurely pace and stick to back roads for much of the way. This meant traveling through the northern tier of rural North Carolina and southwestern Virginia. Traveling a route such as this, there's always a bit of time to cruise some of the fabulous Blue Ridge Parkway, which truly is one of our Great American Treasures. Way things are going with the current lot of criminals in Washington & their campaign to eliminate National Parks and Wilderness areas and open them up to oil & gas exploration, this could well soon be oilfields and industry- so make no mistake- I was definitely going to get a bit of "parkway time" in, while it's is still pristine!

Lots to see before I got that far north tho... I love all the old country style stuff, small towns and open country, aspects and imagery from times gone by, and all the signs of rural living that are so close to my heart. It makes for great photos, the imagery is just too tempting not to stop and take some shots.

So long, North Carolina, see y'all next time!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 06/23/20 4:42 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
When I was a kid, we moved around a lot, being as m dad was in the Army. He had a 1955 Triumph TR2, and we seemed to always have time to travel rural back roads. My dad always said that we had to wave at folks sitting out in their yards or on front porches. I still do this, decades later and find that by and large, most folks readily wave right back! This is such a small thing but to me it is one of Life's Greatest Pleasures.

Since our family was located in North & South Carolina, much of our back-road time was spent driving through the U.S. South. To this day, I love the sort of and deeply "southern" vibe or "country" things that crept into the broader consciousness. Clearly, a lot of this stuff doesn't make sense any more but some of it was and remains harmless. The original, long since replaced, Mountain Dew slogan, "it'll tickle yore innards", was clearly seen ages ago as derogatory towards Southerners but it's still barely visible here, decades later. This Mountain Dew sign from the early-mid 1960s typifies this trend of a country whose traditions were and largely remain steeped in rural life, It stands as a testimony to the importance and strength of companies that came directly out of the south- and the impact many of these companies had on life across the whole of the United States, both socially and economically.

One can almost imagine hanging out at this old store sipping a mountain dew in the summer heat. The stories these old seats could tell!

Moving along, it wasn't too long before Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains came into view. Driving north out of North Carolina and up into Virginia, every single creek and river I crossed was turgid and rushing with muddy water as tho some rains of near biblical proportions and swept the state. The James River, as seen here on the Blue Ridge Parkway, was about as far north as this phenom went however.

Not to worry, tho as the sun was giving it its best effort this day!

Arriving home, finally, after many twists and turns, I was greeted by this view of "our" sky as I stood in the driveway of the Sky Box at Negely Park, giving thanks for my wonderful family & friends, for a safe journey, for having a great home and lady to return to, and all the many blessings of my life.

Cheers, everyone! Look for more adventures to be posted soon, and thanks so much for riding along.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 06/23/20 5:16 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
OK so thinking about Mountain Dew and its country, southern origins led me to Wiki.

Here. for your informations dn reading pleasure, is a WIKI ARTICLE ON MTN DEW, the company which did indeed have its origins in Knoxville TN back in 1940!

Yee -and indeed, haw.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Meanwhile in Lancaster County

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
So a couple weeks ago some friends of ours had a cabin rental up in the Northern Tier of Pennsyltuckey. This is about as serious as wilderness gets on tehEast Coast USA and infant is. one of the very darkest places in the U.S.- probably in the top 3 darkest nationwide. This is south of US Highway 6, but in teh general area where @mikeg was holding the One State Mountain Ride.

We had a great time with them and he & I got some lawn chairs out on Sunday night and leaned back to watch the sky. I'd never been in a place so dark that you could view satellites causing across the sky and not to mention the stars being just crazy. That alone was a personal, all-time highlight. BUT this is in an area where a secondary creek runs into a bigger creek, and all of that runs into the west branch of the Mighty Susquehanna River, maybe 30 miles to the south of where we were at. The smaller creek is Slate Run; the bigger creek is Pine Creek. OH BTW- the forecast all weekend had been for rain, rain, and more rain. All week. Sunday dawned beautifully however and the skies became more and more clear as the day went on! Sunday night was crystal clear, it could not have been a better night for star gazing!

Ages ago, and I mean back in the late 1980s, I first got up that way because a buddy of mine at the time, knew of a swimming hole up there. Now this is 2.5-3 hours north of where we live. How he knew of this hole, I have no idea. I had vague memories of it and of how to get there. And when I say it's pretty remote well it is exactly that. I say my memories were pretty vague, well they were VERY vague. We'd run up there in the hottest of summer days, get up there and it'd be 20 degrees cooler- AND the water temps areaways COLD.

Now the set-up is that Slate Run is a generally not-very-deep trout stream. This hole is pretty huge and has an estimated depth of 18-20 FEET. Above the hole, the creek runs across flat rocks and makes about a 3-4 foot high water fall into the hole itself. There are BIG rocks and bluffs (of sorts) on both sides, and now some people have hung rope there to swing off of. Wel this became our mission and after some mucking about we found the place. My friend's wife's family has had a cabin at the tiny "village" of Slate run for generations and she had never heard of this swimming hole. BUT we asked the lady at the Slate Run store- who knows a lot about the area and she aimed us in the right direction- which was only a start to what turned into a sizable effort.

But find it we did indeed- so now my friends can take their kids there and enjoy wild pennsyltuckey when they go up there for Grace's family's annual reunions. Wildlife seen over our stay here: 1 bear cub, 2 bald eagles, many deer, many large fish, ducks, geese, and other birds- and butterflies galore!

Here's a few pix for your viewing pleasure.

Looking downstream on Pine Creek from the rental cabin. This is about 8 miles below the village of Slate Run at Cammal, PA

PA is rife with old school hunting camps like this one

kids

Shayne

turning back to flag the crew in

upstream view of the hole

kids again, in the water

downstream view

rock with rhododendron & Shayne, below the main hole

typical view of Slate Run

the air above the water at the swimming hole was thick with these massive yellow swallowtails & Eastern black swallowtail butterflies

This place turned out to be as great a place as I remembered- 30 PLUS years ago (!) and it actually has changed very little in all this time

ALTHOUGH the water, which used to be darn near crystal clear, is now a lot less clear. Still, tho with a mask you could no doubt see the trout in the hole as you swim the depths along with them.

Stay tuned for more boredom as 2020's ongoing __________ continues.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/01/20 6:13 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
SO. we are still in something of a... well, a something for sure. We're not locked down but we aren't 100% opened up either. I'm not "back to work" because frankly, the entertainment industry won't be holding any major live events any time soon. I've spent the months shooting photographs, moving about solo, whether by (motor)bike or by car, and sticking to small gatherings of 6 or less with the closest of friends only.

I've made some effort to push my photography forward; I bought a 3rd film "back" for my big camera- this one turns a square into a rectangle. My medium format camera shoots a 6cm X 6cm frame; the new A16 film back provides. 6cm X 4.5cm frame. The backs for the Hasselblad are interchangeable, so there's one "new" thing I've been doing. Aside from that, I got some devices for the camera called extension tubes. These allow for close up photography. not exactly macro, I don't suppose, but then again, I'm not certain I understand the difference between macro and an extreme close-up. Anyway, I have been shooting just about non stop. At this point, I have 7 exposed rolls of film that need to be processed, and film in both cameras.

So here's a bit of a smattering of some of the things I've shot since March. I'll try to present these roughly in the order in which I shot them.

Staying at home means shooting at home, so...

here's a shot of our living room:

one of my close-ups

popped across the river one night, after midnight, to shoot some empty street scenes. Only ones around were me AND the police. I drew some "looks" for sure, but didn't get any hassle.

I've done some running around, just me & my cameras in my car

abandoned one-room schoolhouse- this shows the 4.5cm X 6cm frame

another close up, in 4.5 X 6- back in daffodil season

an old friend of mine, who I hadn't seen in years and years, died not long ago. I had the occasion to spend some time on his land and in the trailer he lived in. For some reason, I felt like I had to shoot these old family photos of his. The trailer had been cleared out but nobody took the, and I guess it felt like just one more tragic element in the whole thing- which hadn't ended well for him. Maybe I got some form of closure from shooting these? The photo at lower left may be my buddy during his Army/Viet Nam days?

I've always been fascinated by this sign, high up on this antenna-looking tower. The bar below it remains but isn't called "Borsa's" any more, now it's The Brickyard.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/05/20 7:27 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
So there's an old iron bridge not too far from here. Actually there have been quite a number of these around and the state is slowly replacing them, one by one. Few have the character this one has. It's closed to traffic now, pending some decision as to its fate- suddenly there's a movement to "save" the bridge- even tho all the years have passed without any effort to date to fix or maintain it.

I took a camera out there to shoot it.

Sheepford Road Bridge

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Fantastic pics and stories !

The Mid Century lamp is full on swinging in my book and would love to find one like that. Teak perhaps?

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by rick e.
Fantastic pics and stories !

The Mid Century lamp is full on swinging in my book and would love to find one like that. Teak perhaps?

Aw shucks, Rick, thanks man. Glad you’re enjoying everything, and I very much appreciate the comment. The lamp... pretty sure it’s mahogany, teak has a totally different grain structure. Methinks it’s sitting in too strong a light- seems like it’s fading a bit and feels a bit dried out too. Need to oil it up a little, or wax it, or something.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Get some Sea Fin Teak oil By Dalys if you can find it on the East coast. It's for sail boat decks. Really good UV protection.
It's used just like Watco. You just slop it on, let it set for about 10 or 15 minutes and wipe and buff. I think it would work great on your lamp.

JW

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Ennio Moricone, the amazingly prolific Italian composer who penned the scores for Segio Leone's 1960s Spaghetti Westerns -at the very least- and scored as many as 500 film in total, has died. A few years ago, I had actually bought tickets to see him perform. He was scheduled to do 3 gig this side of the Atlantic Ocean: one in Mexico City, one in Los Angeles, and one at the new (at that time) Barclays Center in Brooklyn. At a cost of about 375.00 per ticket, these were indeed, BY FAR, the most expensive concert tickets I ever purchased. Alas, Mr Morricone had had surgery, I believe back surgery- and his physician advised him not to travel. Hence, all 3 performances were cancelled! Dan, it would have been so great to witness him with a 200 person orchestra and choir!

Here's the full NYT obit, from which I quoted in the shout box:

ENNIO MORRICONE NYT OBIT

Now I guess I have some films to see!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/06/20 12:48 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The Mission main theme (Morricone Conducts Morricone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag1Dfa1e_E

Great music for a great movie.

Last edited by Hugh Jorgen; 07/06/20 12:56 pm.

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Listened to a great overview about him and his work on NPR on the drive to work this morning. Really good and interesting life he had.

----THE CLASH-----

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
I love that he would compose scores while sitting at his desk! No need to sit at a piano; he’d write the charts and hear them in his mind’s ear.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
[email protected] man, Charlie Daniels also died in the past couple days. I fell away from him in his later life as a country music "star", but his early work was big in my world, specifically, the record Fire On The Mountain- his song "Trudy" (call up trudy on the telephone) plays in my head on a regular basis, for some inexplicable reason. I saw the Charlie Daniels Band live on many occasions back in the mid to late 70s, and they were a very solid act. But he had also worked (out of Nashville) on 3 Bob Dylan records and played with and produced Roy Buchanan as well (with Billy Price singing, too BTW). EDIT seems Mr Daniels also worked with Leonard Cohen somewhere along the line too- he really got around back in the day!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/07/20 1:16 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
14 July 2020

had a bit of a ride on the Airhead RS. Hot as blazes but whatever. Didn't take too many photos although I did take the digital camera along, just for a lark.

back'ards:

forwards:

sideways:

the "old" Laughlin Mill, built approximately 1763- pretty old for this neck of the woods, older by nearly 100 years than most of the "old" stuff around here.

Rode a mix of fast 2 lane state roads and tiny, slow, back country lanes. Covered 249 KMs so about 154 miles which seems to be about par for the course here lately.

Stopped for ice cream instead of beer, must be getting old laughing
Sorry, no pix of the ice cream, my bad. laugh

Cheers, hope everyone is well.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/15/20 7:21 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Dick Page
Is that old mill somebody's house now?

Dick, it doesn't appear to be. The historic mill is a bit of a public shrine in a tiny town. It's not open, but folks can park on the grounds to fish or whatever.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Hey so any of you with [email protected] accounts may know there a thing going around for a while (probably still is going) called something like "the 10 album challenge". Our own @jubeeprince tagged me in it, so I "had" to get on the bandwagon. So I'm 63 now, been listening to rock and roll all my life. I had to really dig deep to sort out a handful of records that were more than just generally impactful. I had a lot of fun in this, and in the end, put a LOT of thought into my album choices. I thought it'd be fun to post this here too, what the heck, right? I'm doing the copy/paste thing to get my text from each post in here.

1st album: Abby Road

(Steve Prince) tagged me in the “top 10 albums” challenge, so um yeah, wow where to start?
My musical rock and roll journey began with The Beatles when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade- a friend’s older sister had every record, both 45s & albums, of any and every band from the early/mid 1960s going forward.
While I could really post any Beatles album to start with, the one record that had a major, life altering impact on me, that I can pin to one song in one moment-

was Abby Road.

In summer 1969 our family had moved to Newport, Rhode Island for my Army dad’s year-long stint as a student at the Navy War College. It was here that I heard so many great records - many in school where my music teacher would have us bring albums in to listen to and discuss each Friday!
BUT having been groomed by Dixie Curtis’ impressive rock and roll record collection, I was already a big music fan on my own- even if my tastes weren’t as refined or eclectic as some of my school peers.
My first taste of Abby Road came when I happened into a “head shop” in downtown Newport one day. “She’s So Heavy” was playing and at that very moment, I knew definitively, what it was I liked in a rock and roll song. I was 12. To this day that song evokes the same deep feelings in me as it did then.

2: King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King

I heard King Crimson’s debut album immediately after its release in 1969. For me and for many others it was both eye opening & mind bending. The opening track, 21st Century Schizoid Man was and remains one of the single most formative songs I ever heard and to this day would totally rank in my top 5 songs of all time.
But to go from the all out mayhem of this track into... well the whole rest of the record, really? There is nothing else like it, and this album went on to be one of the most talked about and influential records of all time.

Again, that 1st track formed, in my young brain, THE vision and the expectation of what a great rock and roll song should be. The rest of the record is simply pure, great music. It is also probably fair to say- and important to mention that this record introduced me to jazz and to the avant garde- both genres of which I became more and more into as I grew and expanded my capacity for ingesting various forms of music (and art).
King Crimson went on to be a super dynamic band, and they were always a part of my world as I grew up. They were super active tourers and recorded so much if not all of their shows over the decades- much of which is readily available via Robert Fripp’s website. I’ve been lucky to see them perform on 2 occasions, and would love to see them again sometime soon- they have been on the road a lot lately, doing U.S. tours regularly.

3: Woodstock

We were living in Rhode Island in 1969 and Woodstock took place not real far away. When the record hit, I was introduced to a bunch of bands I’d never heard of before- some of which went on to be my favorites for quite a while- namely Santana, Ten Years After & Canned Heat.
Artists like Crosby Stills & Nash, Arlo Guthrie & Richie Havens, Jefferson Airplane, and The Who also stayed pretty high on my list of likes, and Country Joe & The Fish’s epic Fish Cheer was like a battle cry! By the time Woodstock II was released, I had found Mountain and the fact they played Woodstock helped to further them in my estimation.

Over the years, and I mean to this day- I’m still finding out people who played this epic festival- like Johnny Winter, to name but one of my all time favorite artists who made neither the albums or the film! Woodstock may have been “only” 3 days but that moment in time has stretched on throughout my whole life (well to date anyway) and continues to surprise and entertain all these years later.

4: Mahavishnu Orchestra, Birds Of Fire

I missed Mahavishnu Orchestra’s first record but Birds Of Fire came into awareness in the crew I was hanging out with in 10th or 11th grade.
While I’d never heard of John McLaughlin, I did already know Jerry Goodman- a wild wild electric violin player whose band The Flock had made the rounds in some earlier circles I had been in a year or so prior.

The Mahavishnu sound was electrifying and magical, coming off the heels of John McLaughlin’s stint with Miles Davis in his electric fusion days. It took me a while to really “get it” with these guys, but I’ve gone on to be a big fan of John McLaughlin.
Jan Hammer of course had his own rise as did Billy Cobham, in the “new” world of fusion jazz as that genre became more mainstream. Jan Hammer of course played with Jeff Beck over the years- who also influenced me considerably as a guitar player I admired tremendously- and who broke his own ground in the realm of fusion jazz a couple years after Birds Of Fire with his record, Blow By Blow. Billy Cobham, one of the few drummers I ever knew of whose playing was being referred to as “musical”, put out a record called Crosswind in 1974 and that was the first jazz fusion record I ever bought. Way later in life- like just 10 years ago- I got into Miles Davis and explored the work Mr McLaughlin did with him. I saw John McLaughlin play live in Orlando back in 1978 or so, with his band Shakti, a completely amazing group of players that included the stunning violinist, L. Shankar- no apparent relation to the sitarist Ravi Shankar. Interestingly, as an aside, the opener that night for Shakti was none other than the great Roy Buchanan! So that particular show was quite the bill, indeed.

Suffice it to say this band and the first members of its first incarnation stayed with me and have taken me down many different roads over the course of my lifetime. Again, I’m still finding out about work that some of these guys have done, for example just a couple months ago I found out that Billy Cobham played in Bob Weir’s band Bobby & The Midnights! To this day, although I own a bunch of John McLaughlin records and a couple Mahavishnu records, I’ve never owned a copy of Birds Of Fire.

Maybe it’s about time.

5: JJ Cale's Naturally

At age 15, in 10th and 11th grade, I was hanging out with a handful of Army guys who had been drafted. We were all at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri- my dad was a brigade commander there and these guys were all doing what was called “short time”- serving out their required military duty, having returned to U.S. soil after fighting in Viet Nam. These guys were a few years older than me- and a heck of a lot wilder. They survived the war, and definitely partied their way through their tours of duty in VietNam. They all had nice stereos and they turned me into so much music! I can go on about it all and at least one more record from this period in my life may make it into my list-
BUT

This first record from JJ Cale hit and I heard it probably not too long after it came out. I took me a while to really appreciate JJ Cale’s down tempo style. It wasn’t exactly hard rock but in the mode du jour, was accepted just as any other record or band would have been, and I mean from folks like Country Joe McDonald & Arlo Guthrie or Bob Dylan to Deep Purple and Steppenwolf. People’s ears were wide open and we didn’t have all these micro niches.
Competition for my attention was pretty stiff just then; records that came out about that same time included David Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust, and Steely Dan’s debut record, Can’t By A Thrill, to name just 2. JJ Cale rose higher and higher into my realm of awareness and I came to really appreciate his entire thing. I must have been in good company, because songs off this first record were covered by Eric Clapton, Kansas, & Waylon Jennings. Another band who covered his later work was someone you might have heard of: Lynyrd Skynyrd- who covered Call Me The Breeze on their 2nd record. Eric Clapton covered a 2nd JJ Cale song: Cocaine. JJ Cale went on to make many more records. I’ve heard most of them and each is as good as the next.
Sadly, I never had the chance to see him play live.

6: Pink Floyd, Ummagumma

Pink Floyd was a big part of my life before their release of Dark Side. I first heard Meddle, and the first record by them I ever bought was Obscured By Clouds. Much later on, I got into their really early works from the mid 1960s. But Umma Gumma was a record that not only stuck with me, it introduced me to “sounds” as music. This record had a big mixed bag of stuff- from live songs, to nice mellow music to just plain experimental noise. It opened the door for me to the world of the avant garde in music and art and performance. In short Umma Gumma expanded my consciousness and horizons. It’s influence stays with me to this day.

to be continued

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/16/20 3:17 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
OK the 8th record in my line-up of influential albums is...

Edgar Winter's White Trash's live record, Roadwork

I can’t even say how I ended up with this Edgar Winter’s White Trash “Roadwork” album in my collection when I was 15 or so. But it spun my head around with its rockin soul & blues vibe. The epic long version of Tobacco Road was amazing and this was my first music of Edgar’s brother Johnny Winter, who puts in a guest appearance- that I ever heard. There’s a big blend of great tunes here with a fantastic band. It was far quite different from
most of what I was listening to at that time- but Tobacco Road and Still Alive And Well saw some heavy rotation on my turntable! I went on to be a lifelong fan of Edgar & Johnny Winter, seeing both of them many times live. Incidentally, this was also the 1st time I ever heard Rick Derringer.

my 9th post was a 3 record smash-up post with Wishbone Ash's Pilgrimage, Uriah Heep's Salisbury, & Deep Purple's In Rock

Wishbone Ash had epic twin guitars and sweet melodies. I was a huge fan of those guys for years- their twin guitar harmonies were and remain great. The first record by them I heard was Pilgrimage. Their 1st record, titled simply "Wishbone Ash", and Argus saw some serious turntable time in my life as well over the years.

Deep Purple’s In Rock turned my head around and between them and Steppenwolf, my love for hard rock was set in stone, you might say. A couple years later, Deep Purple records Machine Head and Live In Japan saw some heavy air time with me and the gang I was hanging with.

Uriah Heep’s Salisbury was a departure for me but those guys went on to play a big role in my teenage years- staying with me all through high school. Some of my best ever summer days were spent in the wilds of south central Missouri with Uriah Heep in the 8 track player. In spite of the whole British Invasion thing that had already happened,Uriah Heep was a distinctly English band with a strong "otherworldly" vibe!

10: Fleetwood Mac, Bare Trees

Fleetwood Mac was a band I had first gotten into earlier with their relative “hit” Oh Well about 1970, but that was as far as I got with them until
a couple years (or so) later when their record Bare Trees was a staple in a friend’s collection of 8 track tapes we’d listen to when hanging out in her parents van and running around in the wilds & back roads of the Ozark Mountains.

The songs were (and are) great and their brand of folksy, guitar driven rock was just perfect for our backwoods adventures. A couple of the songs here, Bob Welch’s Sentimental Lady and Spare Me A Little Of Your Love had long legs and were staple tunes for a long time going forward, with Spare Me A Little in use for some time in the band’s touring repertoire, and Sentimental Lady being remade a few times in Bob Welch solo career projects over time.
Going both forward and backward from Bare Trees in Fleetwood Mac’s album list there are a lot of sweet spots- and this is a band that I love to this day.

They had many personnel changes over the years but always, they had great guitar players- with Bob Welch, Danny Kirwan, Peter Green, and Lindsay Buckingham in their line-ups over the decades. Their last tour- in 2019 featured Mike Campbell from Tom Perry’s Heartbreakers so they managed to continue that tradition into the 21st century.

Their first few records were straight up blues records, and Peter Green penned Black Magic Woman! In 1968 Fleetwood Mac released it as a stand alone single; it was put on a following record the next year. The song was made famous by Santana, on their 2nd album Abraxas.
Fleetwood Mac had some high and low points over the years but by and large their catalog of records is pretty solid, much of their music holds up well, and some of their songs are a major part of the soundtrack for my generation.

Ok my final post, number 11, was another triple play with 3 records that were all interconnected in some way or ways: David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders from Mars, Mott the Hoople's All the Young Dudes, & Lou Reed's live Rock & Roll Animal.

This is another 3-pack and these records tie together in many ways. Ziggy Stardust and All The Young Dudes came out around the same time and I heard them both almost immediately. Tho vastly different from one another, they both came out strong.
Ziggy Stardust’s complex layering of tracks on top of tracks on top of tracks was a ground breaking achievement and is still mind blowing to listen to decades later. David Bowie was of course, amazing in every way- and I was very fortunate to get to see him live on 2 occasions. This record also firmly establishes Mick Ronson as an amazing tour de force in his own right.

All The Young Dudes has a much more organic, down tempo feel. Ian Hunter’s writing and singing are great, the band lays it down solidly, and the whole record is pretty amazing- and again, sounds as great today as it ever did- in fact I have it on vinyl and the recording is awesome! There’s a cover of the song Sweet Jane- the first time I ever heard a Lou Reed song. David Bowie wrote the title track & produced this record. He also plays sax on track 5. Mich Ralphs, a founding member of Mott the Hoople of course, left the band to found Bad Company with Paul Rodgers- not a bad career move, really. This and other work slots him right up there among the top tier of rock & roll hierarchy. Ian Hunter is, of course, amazing! What a great front man he always was.

Lou Reed’s Rock And Roll Animal came out several years later- in 1974. This amazing release absolutely blew me right out of the water! The twin guitar onslaught of Steve Hunter & Dick Wagner was strong and on point- and remains as strong now as ever. These two players would go on to be in an Alice Cooper band and continue their onslaught in grand style. Steve Hunter came out of a Mitch Ryder band called Detroit and is widely considered to be one the greatest contributors to rock and roll. The dark feel of this record is down to it being mostly covers of Velvet Underground songs. That said the overall effect of the record is stunning and spectacular. A writer for rolling stone magazine said of the performance at the time:
“The band does not emulate the violent, hypnotic, dope-trance staccato power and subway lyricism of the Velvet Underground, but rather opts for a hard, clean, clear, near-royal Mott the Hoople/Eric Clapton (Layla) opulence”
This I did not know until just now reading the Wiki page on the record- but I feel it totally justifies my choice to link these 3 records into a single post. When the opening track kicks off- the soaring instrumental intro to Sweet Jane, it sends chills down my spine still.

Incidentally, a 4th record that is worth a mention here is the sequel to Rock & Roll Animal- Lou Reed Live. Both records were recorded at a single live performance by Lou Reed and his very special band.
Additionally notable: the song from Ziggy Stardust, “It Ain’t Easy” (a Ron Davies tune) appeared also on Mitch Ryder’s album (with band of the same name), Detroit. Steve Hunter (of Lou Reed's live band) played in the band and on that song, so there’s another tie-in!

All three of these records spun me around and expanded my horizons by considerable margins. Lou Reed Live is also a joy but I came into it much later on so it could not be said to have had as important an impact on me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
******************************************************************************************
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
..............................................................................................................................

Hey so what a load of fun I had in compiling this list of influential albums. It really was a "trip" back in time, and I had as much fun reliving some of the seminal moments in my life as I had in concentrating enough to compile this list. I want to also say that many of these records still perform well, holding up just as strong all these years later, if not stronger than ever, today. I still listen to many of them on vinyl and/or CD, although some have fallen away.

Cheers, everyone. Stay tuned for more "boredom".

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Too much to quote so I'll just refer to each.
Abbey Road: I bought that album when I was maybe 14. Used to sing it to myself while I did my morning paper route. I also love the White Album. I played Revolution Number 9 backwards, turn me on dead man!
I came to appreciate Crimson later. I still love 21st Century Schizoid Man and Epitaph, but Starless and Bible Black is more to my taste. Cigarettes, Ice Cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary. Bruford is one of my favorite drummers. I also love the '80s incarnation with Adrian Belew.
We all listened to Woodstock and took our girlfriends to see the movie. Never bought that album, but I recently got the recording of Johnny Winter at Woodstock. Don't know why they left him out of the album.
Never really got into Mahavishnu. I had Zappa and DiMeola for machine-gun guitar riffs. Tommy Bolin too.
We all had the quad headphone experience with Dark Side of the Moon with some serious chemical aids. Today the only Floyd I have is Meddle and Obscured by Clouds. I was more into ELP, only quad concert I ever saw.
I had DP In Rock for a short time until my dad made me return my order from Columbia Record Club. Heard all the later stuff at a friend's house. I really love the comeback albums from the 90s with Gillan back on vocals.
I was also late to appreciate Bowie, though one of my best friends really idolized the dude. We spent a lot of drunken nights singing Hang on to Yourself, etal.
Bowie really made Mott into a great band. I have some early albums, and they really sucked before Dudes. The only thing that bothers me about that album is that it sounds as if they left the Dolby off when they mastered it, really cheesy high end. We all used to do this with cassettes to get more high end out of the playback, but it kinda ruins the recording for me. Really great live show in '74, probably the loudest band I've ever seen, including The Who.
Rock and Roll Animal, what can I say I used to use Sweet Jane to introduce myself to new neighbors. Now I use Live at Leeds. I saw Lou in Atlanta in the late '80s. Didn't have Steve Hunter with him but Lou can flat play guitar himself.
I was a big fan of Steppenwolf, first concert I ever attended. Until my older brother brought home Aqualung. My high school marching band played an arrangement of Thick as a Brick. I saw the premier of Passion Play in Knoxville in '73. Best concert I ever saw.
First album I ever bought was Are You Experienced. I found a reissue a couple of years ago. First LP I played in the new house. Amazing what can be done with 'only' 8 tracks!

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Gees,
THis is getting weird
We actually studdied "In the Court of the Crimson King " in my final year of high school .
Have all of Crimson on an open reeler & listen to it regularly .
Zappa was not allowed because of the naughty word, so I have the complete set including cruising with Ruben & the Jets & Shut up & play yer gituar .
If he was not such a brillant musician he would have made an excellent urban philosopher.
Lou Reid was maditory but I got into things like Fripp & Eno ( follow on from Crimson )
Zappa got me into the Dah dah musicans so Edgar Varaise was then only one I could find on LP's
Zappa also got me nto Jean La Ponte which led into acid Jass & the Soft Machine.
Amazed there are others with similat tastes.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Gees,
THis is getting weird
We actually studdied "In the Court of the Crimson King " in my final year of high school .
Have all of Crimson on an open reeler & listen to it regularly .
Zappa was not allowed because of the naughty word, so I have the complete set including cruising with Ruben & the Jets & Shut up & play yer gituar .
If he was not such a brillant musician he would have made an excellent urban philosopher.
Lou Reid was maditory but I got into things like Fripp & Eno ( follow on from Crimson )
Zappa got me into the Dah dah musicans so Edgar Varaise was then only one I could find on LP's
Zappa also got me nto Jean La Ponte which led into acid Jass & the Soft Machine.
Amazed there are others with similat tastes.

My favorite Zappa album is Hot Rats but Apostrophe, Overnight Sensation, Zoot Allures, and Roxy & Elsewhere rank too. Got to see Zappa 2 times, great shows, both. First time was on the Zoot Allures tour, like 1977, maybe? Halloween night in the old Spectrum in Philly. What an arena that was. Saw many magical shows in there back in the day.

I knew Jean Luc Ponte (sp?) before he played with Frank. Saw him once too, at an old Opera House. Amazing show.

I was deeply into electric fusion jazz. Hanging out with musicians will take you to places you might not get to on your own.

Weather Report was big on my list and to this day I listen to them regularly. Heavy Weather & Mysterious Traveler are as solid and relevant today as ever. Saw them twice over the years- and also had the great pleasure to see Jaco Pastorius playing bass with Herbie Hancock! I loved Alphonso Johnson but Jaco added his own level of energy that few could have matched. Always thought Weather Report was 100% Joe Zawinal's band but Jaco really tried to usurp him. If you haven't seen the Netflix doc on Jaco, it's worth a look.

Oddly, I never heard any of that electric Miles Davis stuff from Bitches Brew onward, until 10 or so years ago!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/18/20 9:03 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
First time I heard Jaco was on an Ian Hunter album, All American Alien Boy.
I only got to see Frank once, kinda slim pickings for concerts in Knoxville. That was pretty much the Live in NYC show, Roy Estrada wore a ski mask during Illinois Enema Bandit.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Just for fun.
I saw all of thr Zappa concerts in Sydney from all 3 tours ( crashed them all )
The overnite sensation concert will always be top in my list because some clot lit a roman candle in the audience.
He stopped the show till the idiot was tossed out, Abused him let right & center ( rightfully so )
When it came time for Saint Alfonsos he call signed the word Marjurine in tribute to the idiot
M is for a moron who lights a bomb in a crowded theatre
A is for Arsehole
etc etc etc.
Always hoped it would make it into one of the anthology albums but no suck luck .

Now we had a pretty good trad jazz player, Kerrie Biddle & her band "The Hottest Band in Town " were the opening act for Zappa's one only concert in Albury a sort of anally retentive town on th NSW Victoria border.
The town fathers were rather concerned than "The Hottes Band in Town " might be a bit risqué for the nice clean God fearing folk of Albury so they cancelled her appearance and allowed double bill for that nice sounding band "The Mothers of Invention".
The mayor tried to stop the show mid the second number & the audience rioted .

But probably the best concert I ever went to ( mostly because I was very young ) was Herbie Mann at the Sydney Opera house.
Now entertainment staff go into double time at 11 pm so most shows finish at 10 pm.
Herbie & the full Sydney orchestra cam back & did 3 more numbers by which time it was 10:30 so the lights went on & the orchestra walked out.
Herbie sat at the mike and played solo till 11 when the power got cut off so he did another hour acoustic till the police came and dragged him off the stage.

Not far from the Opera House ws a dive called, naturally "The Basement " where they played mostly modern-progressive-acid jazz.
The house band for a long while was Galapagos Duck which was a different line up to the touring band.
If you can find a copy of Ebony Quill, it is worth the effort.Ebonoy Quill on You tube.
The Basement was the 1st & 2nd basement of a mostly derelect building and wereboth lower than high tide level on Sydney harbour.
More than once I can rememberbeing there as the harbour back flowed up the drains so the seated area in front of the stage was 2' deep.
Being acoustic ( like jazz should be ) the band kept on playing and we just stood on the chairs or sat in the sea water depending upon the state of intoxication

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
I saw Zappa Plays Zappa once and can say it is totally worthwhile to go see Dweezil Zappa and an all star band made up of FZ alumni, playing full versions of Frank Zappa songs. Dweeil, no slouch at guitar himself, said he had to pretty much relearn the instrument before he could play his father's compositions!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I figured out the oddity behind Zappa's guitar playing. He was a drummer before picking up guitar. A lot of his lead riffs are 13 stroke rolls played on another instrument.
The latest I ever saw a concert end was the '73 Jethro Tull Passion Play show. From what I've read, Knoxville was the first place they ever played that show, having rehearsed for a few days at the UT music department auditorium. They played until 12:30. Knoxville being in "right to work" country, I doubt they were subject to double-time rules for the local crew.
My first year in Atlanta I went to a blues festival in Piedmont Park. John Mayall was the headliner. About 10:30 he said, "They're closing the park at 11. We're staying at the Marriott. C'mon over, we'll be jamming late." I went over to the hotel and sure enough John sat in with the house band. Had to be a big thrill for those guys.
That's one thing I miss about living in Atlanta. Virtually any band on tour is gonna play there. Very often one can see semi-major acts playing in smaller venues, even bars. I got to see Ian Hunter with Mick Ronson at a punk bar.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Got some film scans in my inbox from the photo lab yesterday. Here are some nice shots from that vintage flat track race Wade & I went to a few weeks back

Hugh Mackie's 500cc flat tracker

and his 750

around the grounds

look for more later

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
A few more of my film photos from around the grounds of this dirt track out in rural Pennsylvania. All these are 35mm photos shot onFuji Industrial 100 color film, a film stock that's a Japan-only release. I buy it off eBay, have shot a fair amount of it, and really like the way it renders color.

basically nobody came out early in the day for the vintage race portion of that day's program- just a few race teams and near zero spectators

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/29/20 6:08 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
these are the last of my medium format shots from that day at the flat track races, also in color- shot with my Hasselblad 500cm on Kodak Ektar 100 film. Ektar really shines in some instances and you can sure see the film in all its glory in these first 2 photos!

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Went to some drag races couple weeks back also, and shot a few rolls of film, although mostly I shot 35mm as I jammed a lens on my medum format camera!
frown

But here's some 35mm stuff I shot, from roll numero uno. People were racing all kinds of things, from funky OLD 40s cars to modifieds and funny cars, to stockers and snowmobiles and rails with what I THINK were snowmobile motors fitted. Fun stuff- and not a bad turn-out for a small time, local drag strip! One guy I'm getting to know brought a handful of cool old cars, one of which was outfitted with an old International Harvester tractor engine! I'll upload some of my phone pix from the day and put them up too, in a bit.

OK here's the phone pix from the drags. Fist off is the tractor powered car. I asked the guy about it and specifically about the 3 carburetors because obviously, the tractor didn't come equipped with triple carbs. He said he made the manifold for them. I hope to get up to this dude's shop some time to interview him and shoot some of the work he's doing. He shows up at all the drag and dirt track/jalopy stuff around Pennsylvania and always has a handful of cool vintage cars with him.

People watching was great at this event. I did manage to take some film photos of a few folks. I was a little worried about going over there but everyone was mindful of each other's space and most were wearing masks as they moved ar round the pits and stuff. It was a GREAT day. out. The drags were sponsored by a local vintage Motor Racing Museum. Here's a link to them, they have a massive annual calendar but this summer its a bit curtailed due to the pandemic.

Eastern Museum of Motor Racing

The museum is not far from Wade & Gerry's house down south of here. A bunch of us went over there to see the place some years back but since they have remodeled and expanded a bit. I need to get back over there to see the place now.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 07/29/20 7:01 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Not to be picky, but thats not a tractor motor. Green Diamond International Harvester motors were in K series trucks in the 1940s. The triple manifold is way cool though.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
AH! Thanks for the clarification Zimm. thumbsup

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
This photo, from Dieter (@expresidente) and my trip from Hamburg north, to attend the Norwegian BSA Inter, popped up in my [email protected] b00k feed today as a “memory”. This photo, which has always been a favorite of mine, was taken in Denmark at a beach called Fyns Badestrande. This shot was originally in 4:3 format but today I cropped it to a square, which I think suits it nicely.

Let me know what y’all think.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...several photos that are really good. Mostly medium format with those incredible colors and contrast...making plenty of other digital images dull in comparison.

Regarding your choices about popular Music; I only say that seems that I lived in a parallel non mainstream World since forever.
I mean; not bad choices but...

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by reverb
...several photos that are really good. Mostly medium format with those incredible colors and contrast...making plenty of other digital images dull in comparison.

Regarding your choices about popular Music; I only say that seems that I lived in a parallel non mainstream World since forever.
I mean; not bad choices but...

Since you have the Internet you should stream WFMU from Jersey City New Jersey.

A very strong mix of great non mainstream and weird music, and sometimes just plain noise and sounds, along with pure avant-garde. Free form radio at its finest, and the station has been in operation since back in the 70s. Still at least one DJ who’s been there all this time.

High weirdness never sounded so good- haven’t listened a whole lot lately but they used to have a Jewish radio show every week day morning that was called something like JM in the AM. Which did include some Klezmer stuff amongst all the talk- so even that talk show had some redeemable qualities.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...I will try to listen.
Some 20 -22 years ago I listened from your Country, KFJC. A college radio that was super good where every DJ had their own approach; then times changed.

From what you choose I preferred the Abbey road. I have it in vinyl and I listened few hundreds of times when I was young but probably I will listen it some more hundred times.
From the Beatles I normally listen Get back (naked) and Revolver; sometimes the White album.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by reverb
...I will try to listen.
Some 20 -22 years ago I listened from your Country, KFJC. A college radio that was super good where every DJ had their own approach; then times changed.

From what you choose I preferred the Abbey road. I have it in vinyl and I listened few hundreds of times when I was young but probably I will listen it some more hundred times.
From the Beatles I normally listen Get back (naked) and Revolver; sometimes the White album.

Right on. No idea what WFMU is doing on the weekends, I have mostly listened to them during the week, at mid day or evening But in general they play a super wide range of music across several spectrums of rock, jazzy funk, & punk- into avant-garde and all the way to just plain weird and beyond even that. They are one of my all time favorite places to listen to.

These on my "list" above, were all albums that I deemed "influential" to me over the years. I really had to put some thought into figuring this list out, because I've listened to so much during the course of my lifetime. So these records were ones that set me on a certain path. It was these records & bands, that totally shaped my music appreciation today. Of all these, on my "list", I would say that the only ones I listen to with any regularity any more would be Bowie, King Crimson, and occasionally John McLaughlin, but not Birds Of Fire, more his solo work.

I have a copy of John McLaughlin Live At Royal Albert Hall that stays pretty close to the top of my pile of CDs, in fact. It's not nearly as wildly electric as Birds Of Fire or any of the Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff, but the recording is superb and the instrumentation almost otherworldly. Overall, it might be said to be kind of mellow. I don't know how much you know of John McLaughlin's work but he went thru a sort of "Indian" musical period with a group of folks and had a band called Shakti. His associations with some of these people from Shakti stretches out over years and I believe (but don't know for certain) that some of these guys were in his ensemble for Live At Royal Albert Hall.

I have All The Young Dudes & Lou Reed Live on vinyl so they do occasionally see the light of day.

Bowie is and always will be pretty high on any list I would ever come up with. His work, no matter which period or phase he was in, is always worthy of a listen.

Another interesting "radio" show I like is a syndicated show that's also available by podcast: The Many Moods Of Ben Vaughn. He picks a super eclectic blend of many different styles of pop and rock, going as far back as the 1950s.

Here's an example from Ben Vaughn' radio show, a song he played yesterday: a 1974 piano "hit" version of Dick Dale's Misirlou - happy listening, brother!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/02/20 2:26 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Got some recent film scans in from my summer exploits.

train stuff

caboose:

depot

loco

moto

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
color shots

family: my young cousins. these 4 are the daughters of eldest 1st cousin's daughter. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family, all my cousins and all their kids are just fantastic. such sweet, nice people. the girls here are carrying the family tradition of having plenty of "personality".

onancock

norfolk

raleigh

greensboro

pine creek in PA's northern tier

and back to the house for some close-up work

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/05/20 1:19 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ive been busy so not exactly bored .. Between Driving up and down the coast in hurricane weather and Breaking down in Maryland and AAA leaving my jeep in the middle of the road on the top of a hill on a curve while my good friend Tom rescues me and my trailer on I 95

Good things happen too. I got to visit with Jim in NC on Sunday have a few beers and take a dip in their pool to wash away 500 plus miles of rough road and heavy traffic.

But last week in the city I was walking through Hells Kitchen and this homeless looking guy was sell records on the street.... Usually I dont stop to look but what a collection and he knew his stuff.... The good stuff wasnt cheap.... I had to stop after just two bins . There were at least 10 more bins ....

Ill be listening to these the next time Im near my turntable.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
XRDS FM in Clarksdale, Mississippi. All most all of the Blues greats were out of Clarksdale. About a year ago the FNG decided to improve my favorite blues station. We all know how that worked out! So I was thinking lf Clarksdale has a station I bet it would be good. I was not disappointed. Blues and Roots. It's not just an algorithm the guys down there put it together as they go. I never hear a set repeated. some Stones, maybe some Haggard followed by Charlie
Paton and some Howlin Wolf. Check it out.

JW

Last edited by bsawood; 08/06/20 4:03 am.
4 members like this: ricochetrider, ricochetrider, DJinCA, wadeschields
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Listening now !!! My wife likes Radio Paradise for her online listening.... Its pretty great and does have some blues as well but I liking what Im hearing on XRDS so far !!! Thanks !!!!!!!!

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Your welcome. I hope you get to like it as much as I do.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Wow! score on the albums Wade! I am a bit jealous.

bsawood, thanks for the tip on XRDS, listening and bookmarked.

DJinCA

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by bsawood
XRDS FM in Clarksdale, Mississippi. All most all of the Blues greats were out of Clarksdale. About a year ago the FNG decided to improve my favorite blues station. We all know how that worked out! So I was thinking lf Clarksdale has a station I bet it would be good. I was not disappointed. Blues and Roots. It's not just an algorithm the guys down there put it together as they go. I never hear a set repeated. some Stones, maybe some Haggard followed by Charlie
Paton and some Howlin Wolf. Check it out.

JW

Aw hell yeah man, word up- will definitely check that out!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/07/20 3:22 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
But last week in the city I was walking through Hells Kitchen and this homeless looking guy was sell records on the street.... Usually I dont stop to look but what a collection and he knew his stuff.... The good stuff wasnt cheap.... I had to stop after just two bins . There were at least 10 more bins ....

Ill be listening to these the next time Im near my turntable.

Whoa. Cool @ss street score!

The London Blues & Rock Project series was so great. John Lee Hooker has always been a fave too, and I was lucky enough to have seen him 4 times in his later years. He was often out touring, and I caught him playing outdoor gigs at festivals or shed venues.
Look forward to hearing these.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/07/20 4:04 pm.

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Way good albums!

Love to have that Chet Baker and Bud Shank....and Art Tatum and Charlie Parker...

And if you are a John Lee Hooker fan, don't let records with names like Booker and Texas Slim slip by. Same guy....

----THE CLASH-----

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
This has been getting some air play on my local radio.
Irish punk band Fontaines DC
Really lush guitar textures and tones in these guys' music.
I really like it.

Here's a LINK to the LYRICS

Here's the next video if you let it roll.

Just heard this last night. I like this a lot, it has a sort of melancholy vibe. Lovely jangly, vibrato guitar, sweet harmonies. Kinda folk-y.
Sarah Jarosz.

[img]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8hn0Qo-XM[/img]

Again, if you let it roll, you'll get a nice sense of what this talented lady is doing.

I've been coming on to so much music lately, I like to look em up on you tube, go to whatever song of the person or band I've heard and then just let their stuff roll for a bit. Ms Jarosz is on the Sugar Hill record label, seems to fit.

The next song I heard between news segments on NPR. It played long enough for my phone to ID it! Nice modern jazz. quartet- kind of driving, but mellow just the same. really great stuff by drummer Matt Jorgensen
Music inspired by the paintings of Dale Chisman

Big Chief With A Golden Crown

Rex Gregory – saxophone
Cole Schuster – guitar
Michael Glynn – bass
Matt Jorgensen – drums

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/08/20 6:49 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Good stuff Ricochetrider. Here's one that turned into an earworm for me:

1966 BSA Lightning
(2) 1967 Triumph "Choppa"s
1974 Indian ME125
1960 Harley Servi-Car
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Just got some scans in from the last of my recent film shoots. These are from a great new film developed by some Italians- Ferrania P30. These folks built this around the concept of old time movie film stock. The film has quite a lot of "character", more or less to peoples' liking, depending on who you talk to.
A lot of the folks like it toned down, and honestly it depends on the subject matter, I think (my opinion). When it comes to shooting traditional hot rods and vintage dragsters, however, let's let it be contrasty and gnarly looking. It seems to me to match the subject matter. That said, this being a low IS) film (rated at IS0 80), even tho it LOOKS contrasty and crazy, it's actually a fine grained film. The range of this film, going from black to white is actually kinda stunning. Under the right conditions, the black are so deep and very dreamy, IMO. The highlights seem to almost glow at times.

Well anyway, if you're not shooting film these days, who cares? I think it makes for some interesting photos tho.... have a look.

HERE is a link
to my gallery with the rest of the roll. Have a look if you feel like it!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/14/20 12:02 am.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I like that film !!

W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
ricochetrider

I like it. I googled and only saw 35mm mentioned. Do you know if it is made in 120 or even 4 by 5?

Film is not dead. Agfa is making film for the Rollei brand and Kodak stated a 17 or 18 percent increase in film sales last year. There are young people wanting to try something "new" and are trying film. I get more people bringing me film to process these days and the supply stores here are having trouble keeping C-41 kits on the shelf for those who are shooting colour. I'm still using my remaining stocks of Kodak 5302 motion picture direct release positive for making copy negs from old faded away black and white originals. Down to my last 100 foot roll so going to have to find something to replace it. Old emulsion is being offered at 4 times the retail price I paid for it a few years ago. Hard to know if it's been kept in the freezer or not as it is affected by age more than some other emulsions.

I like your work.

Cheers, Wilf

Last edited by Wilfred; 08/14/20 7:09 am. Reason: added more

"It's about the ride..."
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
I like that film !!

I do, too. I got some blow-back from some of the folks on the P30 fb page, I guess there are some purists out there. (insert *rolls eyes* emoticon here) Looking at their photos, the results they got (which I assume they are happy with) looked really flat. That said, this means this film has an incredible range of capabilities. I'm all for celebrating that!

Originally Posted by Wilfred
ricochetrider

I like it. I googled and only saw 35mm mentioned. Do you know if it is made in 120 or even 4 by 5?

Film is not dead. Agfa is making film for the Rollei brand and Kodak stated a 17 or 18 percent increase in film sales last year. There are young people wanting to try something "new" and are trying film. I get more people bringing me film to process these days and the supply stores here are having trouble keeping C-41 kits on the shelf for those who are shooting colour. I'm still using my remaining stocks of Kodak 5302 motion picture direct release positive for making copy negs from old faded away black and white originals. Down to my last 100 foot roll so going to have to find something to replace it. Old emulsion is being offered at 4 times the retail price I paid for it a few years ago. Hard to know if it's been kept in the freezer or not as it is affected by age more than some other emulsions.

I like your work.

Cheers, Wilf

Hi Wilf,

Sincere thanks for your compliments! Yes, film and film cameras are huge right now, across generations. It's fun to be playing an active role in this boom, if not somewhat painful to buy cameras and lenses currently. I think this film Ferrania P30 is great, personally. I'm not afraid of it being too contrasty, if I want something more subdued, there are plenty of options! I Actually think that look suits the subject matter as well. Just got 5 more rolls in, maybe I'll make an effort to shoot a roll in less-bright conditions and see how it plays out. I love the way it renders light & shadows, Love love love its deep, almost creamy blacks.

For now, P30 IS indeed only available in 35mm. I think they are working on other formats, but I also think they were swamped at first, and may be catching up to the demand, in their ability to meet supply needs. Also I think they hyped the film for a couple years before they actually got their new factory up & running, so their beta batch got snapped up very quickly, and the excitement MAY have abated to some extent by now.

I went down the "expired film" road a short ways. Got a batch of soviet film that clearly had NOT been frozen and the results were... um... fun? for about 1/2 a second. What to do with the *other* 4 rolls of Svema? I've sort of gotten to be a fan of slower speed films thousand I see Lomo currently has some super slow film stocks (B&W) one at ISO 8 and the other at ISO 13! Might have to try some of that out. Been shooting Ilford's Pan F Plus 50 in 120. I'm really liking this film! Judging by the difference between PFP 50 in 35mm and 120 tho, P30 in 120 might be pretty darn cool.

A nice gentleman from this site recently contacted me saying he wanted to give me his father's East German built Praktica camera! I've received it and not only is it pretty decent condition, it has a Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar lens on it- a very desirable, well loved vintage lens! clap I'll post some photos and tell the story at some point soon, but I want to be able to add photos from the camera when I do. Gotta take some time to do some shooting tho. I have 5 more rolls of the P30 and a couple rolls of Rollei Superpan 200, along with one or two more rolls of that Fuji Industrial Color 100 film, all in 35mm. I jammed up my 80mm Planar lens on my Hasselblad 500cm, so that's out of commission currently, in fact I sent it to a gentleman up in Massachusetts to get un-jammed. I have an older 500c body and 3 other lenses- including a "new" 250mm lens I got recently which I've not used yet. But I have a hard time seeing the focus screen on the 500c, so I'm a wee bit wary of it. Ah, what to do, eh? laughing

Anyway, I'm not certain I knew you were a camera/film aficionado. Had you maybe mentioned it a long time ago? I'd love to see some of your photos sometime. British Columbia is pretty high on my list of places I'd like to visit. I kind of have a hankering to noodle around along the northern coast and get a look at some totem poles, among other things. A friend of my sister's has a place on Vancouver Island, so IF we could get into BC at all, we may have a house hook-up. My cousin lives in Port Townsend near Seattle, and I've never been to the Pacific NW. I'm really itching to get out that way and shoot loads of film! IF it were possible and if you were open to it, I'd happily pop by, should I ever find myself up in your neighborhood.

Cheers, man.
Have a great day.
Tom

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sigh, looks like a working commando.......

Envy :-)

Nice pics

PP

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Howie
Sigh, looks like a working commando.......

Envy :-)

Nice pics

PP

Thanks Howie.
Well yes... kinda sorta. Could use a bit of attention just now, actually. That said I’m going to fire it up and have a bit of a spin on it.

It’s cooler today, mid to high 80s (F).

Cheers man!

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...yes; contrasty but with character; almost glorious B&W.
I really like the racing first photo with all that grainy surface. Yes; looks pretty vintage.
No doubt that to shoot with a great film is important but good lenses and big format is very important in my opinion. However; with all that and a bad shooter the final work could be not so good.
With what gear did you shot that photo?

Thanks

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
These were all shot on 35mm format. Ferrania P30 doesn't come in any other. So this wasall shot on my Voigtlander R3m rangefinder camera using a Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 Nokton Classic lens

W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
Hey Tom

Thanks for the great reply. I'll have to see if my photo supplier in Vancouver has any P30. What developer do they suggest or what do you use?

I hope it comes out in 120 as along with my 500cm and my 50, 60, 80, 150 and telextender, I've now got the use of another 500cm with 40, 80, 250 and 500 and a bunch of other stuff so that really fills out the selection of glass. when I get some P30, I'll revert back to the Canon F1 system and have a go.

I just finished my last roll of bulk Pan F plus in 35 that I've been using for standard copy negatives but as I can't easily get it in bulk, I'm back to Delta 100 in bulk. My emulsion of choice in 135 and 120 has been Fuji Acros 100 ( I hear Fuji is coming out with a new version ) Fuji Neopan 400 and Neopan 1600 ( which isn't available currently ). Settling for HP5 plus in 400 for now, including the 4 by 5 Calumet.

Seems the shop in Mass is the place to get shutters done on Blad lenses these days and one of mine needs attention but I need to consider the 300 USD for a shutter job which is 400 in my money plus shipping and all the other costs that go with that. But it'll have to be done as it is my 150 that needs the slow speeds done.

A 500cm could solve your focusing problem as there is a selection of screens available. I've been using the 45 prism lately which is easier than the standard chimney finder. I'm in my 80th year and things don't seem as bright as they used to be but eyes are still good and with fast lenses on the Canons I seem to manage.

If you do get up to B.C. we're on Vancouver Island in Nanaimo, about 1 1/2 hours north of Victoria. Where is your sister's friend?

I have a small bit of stuff on my website if you want to have a look. I haven't got into sending photos on the forum yet as I really am a low tech! ) I've been called " the photo fossil " ). It's mostly older stuff but gives a little idea of what I do. I need to get more stuff on there that's more current. It's " wilfhatch.weebly.com "

Well, tomorrow is another darkroom day as I've still got a week's work on a photo restoration of up to 100 year old photos some of which are badly faded.
Then I'll get back into the bike shop as our favourite riding time is coming up.

Later, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Hi WIlf,

I don't actually process my own film, it's something I'll get into down the line but not for now. The roll with the cars stuff all went to Blue Moon Camera & Machine in Portland, Oregon, who apparently worked with Film Ferrania to establish some protocols for the film.

HERE IS A LINK to the P30 webpage on developing guidelines tho.

I do have a 500cm- unfortunately it is currently at Dave Odess' shop awaiting service up in Mass. But yep, you nailed it: roughly 300.00 USD for the lens and another 300USD for the camera repairs. I figure its well worth it, asI get so much pleasure out of shooting that Haselblad and after all, it's *only* money. laughing. BUT he's also 12-14 weeks out, so there's a significant time commitment there too! Not like I don't have other cameras to shoot. I have found tho, that cameras and lenses are a lot like motorcycles in terms of wifely (or girlfriend-y, in my case) viewpoints & reactions: YOU DON'T MEAN YOU NEED ANOTHER ONE????? WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU NEED THAT FOR????? DON'T YOU ALREADY HAVE X OF THOSE????? laugh

*sigh*

My 500cm has the gridded, split "brite" screen. It's worked really well for me over the past 2-3 years -and is the 1st film camera I learned to manually shoot (and focus) with. I've taught myself photography from scratch over this time period- prior to that, I shot everything with whatever camera set to "auto". My cameras got better over the years but I did not. At one point, I was showing some photos I'd taken to a pro photog buddy and he asked me what settings I used. When I said, "auto" he looked me funny, and was like, "oh". At that moment, I knew it was time to make an effort to move forward with my photography.

Anyway, I've loved shooting medium format. That said I've learned quite a lot and and just loving shooting old (and less old) cameras. Currently my oldest is a 1930s Voigtlander 6x9 folder. talk about tough. Next up the line would probably be a Praktica LTL (just got it, it was given to me, haven't shot it yet), the 500c (not sure which is older the 500c or the LTL?), a Canon AE1 Program, the 500cm, and the newest would definitely be my Voigtlander R3m.

Fuji already re-issued Acros 100, now being sold as Acros 100 II. I haven't shot it, tho I did like the original, and do have maybe 3 rolls of the last batch of original in the fridge- but have more or less moved on from it. I'm not a massive fan of Fuji films, although I have a 5 pack of Provia 100f and LOVE the color reversal film! Shot only a single roll of it and had decent results, not sure if you saw my color pix from Coney Island?

Anyway, I'll let you know where my sister's friend's place is located, once she gets back to me; she's A in Italy and B on a weekend holiday up in the Dolomites as we speak.

I'll be talkin' atcha.
Tom

W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
Tom. Thanks for the P30 download. Great reference.

I'll let you know when I get some and try it.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
thumbsup

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
This just in:

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Well done...

In somewhat the same mode and a shameless high-jack, new release from Toots and the Maytals.

Also throw some really positive energy his way. Google why...

----THE CLASH-----

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Hey guys, hope this finds everyone well.

I've posted a bunch of recent photos in my thread, "A Gift", and also over in "Events", in Gordon's BRITBIKE REUNUION CAMP thread.

Just because I'm unsure who reads what around forum- I'm posting here, for your viewing pleasure (but you'll have to work at it a little smile ), links to my photo galleries of shots taken at that weekend gathering down in Georgia.

FILM SHOTS SLIDESHOW

SLIDESHOW: DIGITAL PIX BRITBIKE REUNION CAMP

Yeah, maybe you've seen these and maybe not. In any event, you've likely not seen all of them- so here they are now- all of them, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Cheers.
Have a nice day.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/13/20 5:46 pm.

1 member likes this: D.Bachtel
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
And in other news, Miss C and I had a lovely little get-away over the past few days, went to someplace on the east coast I'd never been to before- Cape Cod. I'll have some photos to show for it, coming in spurts. Shot phone pics (many) digital pics (a few) and film pics (several rolls)

saw this S & S powered Morgan parked at the harbour one day

old mailbox, made in Carlisle PA where I graduated high school & lived for may years

Looking more or less east from atop the PILGRIM MONUMENT

more views from on high

good number of working boats in the P town harbour.

which of course means for fresh seafood! You can bet we ate our way around town, too.

a fair number of people in town for the weekend- could not imagine how packed it must be in full season under "normal" conditions!

Stayed in a great B&B in a grand old house. Owner has the place decked to the gills

Never did make it to the ocean, unless you count being on a boat! Did have a short walk on a long beach tho, over on the bay side. We'd heard from a friend of Cynthia's who had been up there the week prior to our visit, that there'd been a number of recent great white shark sightings in the area- confirmed by "shark tracker" websites. We didn't "get" to see one but that music from Jaws does tend to loom when thinking of great white sharks, while at the beach.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/21/20 2:40 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
DID get to see a number of whales tho- a 1st for me. Mostly, the views were quite similar:

but we did get a few "other" views as well

the camera view belies the fact of distance to these critters- while the boat's captain did maintain a respectable distance, we were actually closer than the pix let on. Wildlife photos tend not to be very dramatic until one spends overly dramatic money on overly expensive lenses!

BUT it was a fun outing, seas were calm as could be and we saw quite a lot, HUMPBACKS, a FIN WHALE, a pod of ATLANTIC WHITE SIDED DOLPHINS

The tour guide was super knowledgeable and knew each whale by name, ID'ing each according to specific characteristics, per individual- which weren't discernible to my undisciplined eye. We were out for over 3 hours tho and all in all it was really great. I could not imagine how the ocean could have been any calmer, honestly. That factor alone really made the trip- BUT 2020 being what it is, the boat, like stores & restaurants in town, was operating below their actual capacity. So the fact that the boat wasn't fully jammed also made things better than they might have been under "normal" conditions!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/21/20 3:07 pm.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
The drive up the cape to P-Town, all the way up, is a bit of a slog. I wanted to just take tiny roads and see a few things (breweries for example) and maybe shoot some photos along the way. At least a couple things worked against us however and in the end after some confusion (we're NOT lost, we're TOURING) we chose to simplify the day and just bolt on up, get settled, and proceed with our plan to eat and drink our way around town. All good.

BUT as we "toured" our way out the Cape, I spied a tiny airport with some vintage "tail-dragger" planes- Not knowing what I was looking at, I guessed DC-10, but later when I spoke to the owner he told me they were actually DC-3s. One day, after covering most of Ptown, Cynthia and I got into the car and took off strictly with the idea of shooting photos of the surrounding area.

She loaded some books and magazines, we bought a picnic lunch at the store next door to our B&B and away we went. Again, after some mucking about, we decided to go back to find this old airport. As we neared the place,I called and asked permission to walk around the airfield and shoot photos. The guy was amenable enough, even letting me walk around inside their hangar and shoot their old biplanes! All he said was "don't get hurt, don't touch anything, and watch out for airplanes!". Looking forward to seeing my film photos of these planes, but in the meantime here are a couple phone pics.

In retrospect, I could have shot more pics inside their office. Loads of cool vintage goo saws and stuff there. In truth I was somewhat out of sorts tho, my main camera body in in the shop for repairs so I was shooting medium format stuff with a secondary unit. Honestly, if any of these pics come out at all I'll be surprised! I did have 3 or 4 cameras along tho, so certainly my 35mm photos will be fine. Shot a mix of color & black and white film in 35mm & 120, so I don't expect this trip to be a total loss, far as photography goes.

turns out there was a cool vintage Plymouth Belvedere in the car park. I asked the boss man if that was his car and he said something like, "well if you ask me, since I put a lot of my time and my money into it, it's half mine. BUT if you ask my son, it's all his and I don't own any of it".

I don't normally shoot "selfies" but I like this one!

anyone who feels like seeing more phone & digital pix, the link to teh gallery is HERE.

At some point I'll have some film photos, but it might be a minute.

Thanks for traveling along!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/26/20 2:12 pm.

1 member likes this: Gordon Gray
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
I've been wanting to make some longer rides around here but after riding so many of the same, bigger roads over the years, I now make random turns and ride much smaller lanes- using geographical features like ridges and creeks/rivers to guide me. North of where I live it's pretty easy because there's a series of arcing ridges & valleys. There are 2 major rivers in the area also- the Susquehanna, and the Juniata. The Juniata runs more or less W-E, and flows into the Susquehanna, which runs (in our area) more or less N-S. So navigating by eye and by feel has become something I enjoy, and do often.

Turns out there is a side benefit of occasionally finding something new along the way. Yesterday I was out riding. I ended up in Juniata County later on and turned off PA route 35, to the south,figuring on following my front wheel over to PA 850, the "plan" being to ride 850 back to its terminus in Marysville, at the Susquehanna. Along the way, I passed a road titled "Indian Mound Road". I had a car a ways behind me- which soon enough turned into a driveway, so I stopped and got out my phone, searching for "Juniata County Indian Mound". Which led me to the BOOK SITE Indian Mound. Naturally, I spun the bike around to explore a little further.

at first glance it's not as dramatic as say, some of the bigger mounds one might find along the Natchez Trace. But with what must have. been a pretty large population of people in this area, before European settlers took over, I't surpassing to me there aren't more things like this scattered around. OK maybe there are- but just not high on the radar. Maybe its time to actively search some of this stuff out!

here is a little more reading for you on the site

WIKI

Juniata County Historical Society (with maps)

Had a lunch stop at SKEETERS BBQ along the way!

Skeeters is situated high on a hill overlooking the dammed up Susquehanna River- at the point where US routes 11 & 15 split apart f rom one another, near Selinsgrove, PA.

One other "benefit" of navigating by the seat of one's pants, is occasionally making a "wrong" decision. I came into the town of Lewistown PA after following a road that kind of parallels US 522 (southbound in my case). More or less shooting for PA 333, I bumped into a barrier when I hit the Juniata River. Things went sideways when I turned downstream instead of going upstream and I ended up out on US 322 eastbound- a major, 4 lane divided highway at this segment. This took me past a section of hillside that I believe was exposed during construction of the highway- showing millions of years of rock formations. This is a well regarded site for geological students. I's a striking and dramatic visual as well! (not my photo)

I was resigned to taking 322 all the way down to the Mifflintown exit ad PA route 35, but when I saw an earlier exit, I took it. Came down to the roadway off the exit, looked right to ride thru the interchange- and saw this:

OF course I had to stop. Too bad I only had my phone along but it makes some great shots anyway.

I'd LOVE to see their signs all ltt up!

Back on the road, it wasn't long before I came into Mifflintown proper. Rolling out of town on PA 35, I saw a guy intently peering through a chain link fence on an overpass. Looking over my shoulder to see what his interest was, I saw a train on a siding below. Hooking back around, I found this old train depot- no longer in use but the siding appears to still be somewhat active!

On what could be seen at first glance, as "just another day" of riding around South Central (and Central) Pennsylvania, there's a whole lot more than meets the eye. One more episode in The Boredom Chronicles. A great day out, 347 kilometers- roughly 215 miles of smiles.

Thanks for riding along.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gotta love Gooney Birds...

(and Great White Sharks)

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
SO meanwhile, back at the proverbial ranch, I shot a roll of Fuji Provia back in May when Wade & I went to Coney Island. I kinda fell in love with the "positives" (Provia is a "slide" or "reversal" film- so you don't get negatives of your shots, you get magical little "positive" images instead).

That put me onto a track to find any black & white reversal film still existing into days world. It turns out that a European company, Adox, produces Scala films, 2 of which- Scala 160 & Silvermax are either specifically produced for reversal processing- or CAN BE reversal processed. Digging a little deeper, I came across a company called .dr5 Chrome. .dr5 Chrome is the brain child of a guy who invented his own proprietary development process- specially for reversal processing of black & white film stocks. He's moved around the country a few times since his company's inception, and now resides in Stuart, Iowa.
Turns out the .dr5 Chrome process can reversal process ALMOST any B&W film!

Being intrigued by this concept, I sent him a roll of Rollei Superpan 200. Got the scans in last night, he made an effort to deliver them to me after I posted something on Instagram, tagging him in my post! Most of the roll consists of shots either from the BRITBIKE REUNION CAMP weekend, or from messing around here, motorcycle rides and whatnot. For some odd reason, many of the 36 exposures on this roll were underexposed. Out of 36, I got 30 scans. Of those 30, I had 18 good shots. I suppose that's a 50% rate of success, but I must say this is the worst result I've had to date in probably 3 years of shooting almost nothing but film.

Anyway, that's really neither here nor there, jus sayin. The shots I DID get, I LOVE. SO here are a few for your viewing pleasure. The first is one of the underexposures- just barely salvageable, crooked horizon and all.

here are Wade's & my bikes on the trailer at a Tennessee bar b que joint we stopped at on our way home. I don't remember the name of the place but they had cars and bike stuff all over the building & grounds. Note the "floating" car above Wade's bike- parked on the ROOF of the place!

here's a car they had parked off to the side of their parking lot. Cool flame job.

Here's a covered bridge Miss C & I found on a ride one Sunday. This bridge is near Shippensburg, PA- I'd seen it before, quite a number of years ago. Since, I've gotten more active in searching out old covered bridges. Perry County, you may recall, has 14 covered bridges total, and I've shot + posted most of them over he past couple years. Most of them get used regularly- 4 are out of serivce- 2 replaced by modern bridges, 1 is on private property alongside an old mill, & 1 is located in a state park for pedestrian traffic only. That bridge, in Little Buffalo State Park, may have been relocated to where it sits now? Anyway, this bridge, unlike some if its sister bridges to the north, hasn't been refurbished and clearly gets hard use.

Miss C sitting comfortably, biding her time while I shoot photos

An Amish buggy came across the bridge as I was shooting, Man, I have a really tough time manually focusing on & shooting/photographing moving subjects! Result? Another underexposed shot... ah well.

Here's a link to my ZENFOLIO GALLERY if anyone wants to see the rest of these photos.

I sent 5 other rolls of film for processing recently so I should have those scans sometime early to middle of next week. AND I'm shooting vintage/hotrod/jalopy drags tomorrow!

whee.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/26/20 2:07 pm.

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Cool seems to cover it, thanks Tom

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1963 BSA Super Rocket
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1973 Guzzi Eldorado
2006 BMW R1200GS

Life member
Life member
Really like the one of Miss C on the bridge. Brilliant

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

2 members like this: ricochetrider, BeezaBryan
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Likewise Bill thumbsup

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride"
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan
who does not do politics

K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Because it's Monday, because it's relevant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtU9xCbVY6I

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1963 BSA Super Rocket
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1973 Guzzi Eldorado
2006 BMW R1200GS

Kev. #825154 09/29/20 11:22 am
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Kev.
Because it's Monday, because it's relevant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtU9xCbVY6I

wow. what a way to begin a day.

THANKS, Kev.
All the Playing For Change videos I've seen are absolutely fantastic.

Thanks, Bill & Bryan, I like that pic, too!

Many thanks to everyone for checking in. I appreciate it. thumbsup

Hey meanwhile I sent 5 rolls of film in for processing about a week ago so there should be some new photos to post soon? I also shot bunch of film on Sunday at a vintage drag race, AND there MIGHT be something in the pipeline for the weekend...

Watch this space

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/29/20 11:32 am.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Planes, Trains, Automobiles, Boats....
Got the latest scans in from the lab this afternoon. Guess I shot a lot of motorized stuff over the past few weeks- and more to come!

been wanting to shoot this mid 70s Monte Carlo for about a year now

Norfolk Southern rail yard just up the road a piece

mid 60s Ford truck rotting away in an alley around the corner from the Monte Carlo

P Town Mass

the above color photos (rectangles) were shot on a film that's new to me. Cinestill 50D. I like it.

stay tuned.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 09/29/20 11:36 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Natchez Trace, in Pennsyltucky? Down here we all know it as a road from west of Nastyville down to Jackson, Mississippi. A beautiful road, no commercial traffic.
I appreciate the 'Gooney Bird' DC3 (C47). Oddly enough, it had a better glide ratio than the troop gliders it towed. The last time I saw a biplane was while shooting a movie at a small airport in Nashville. The local traffic reporter kept an old Italian biplane there which he flew for his report.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
David, No Natchez Trace up here, but those mounds were what I was visualizing in my head as I back tracked to see the Books Mound! I've driven most of The Trace. We didn't get on at Nashville, but a bit further south. Rode it all the way to Natchez, MS, then followed the river down to Nawlins.

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
I was fascinated with the symmetry of these tiny waterfront cabins up on Cape Cod- at Truro, Mass. Each cabin is named for a type of flower!

DOPE
DOPE
imo the ripple marks are vastly more aesthetic than the cottagez

sedimentary ztructures are an entire field og geomorphology all by themselvez and reveal paleohydrolgy by their shape, wavelengths, grain size diztribution and so on

i cannot pasz a sedimentary outcrop without looking forripple marks in the stone and have brought home many piecez of leaverite az a result

your photograph is really nice

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Those look kinda like the little houses that Alcoa Aluminum built for the factory workers. There are also neighborhoods like that near the labs at Oak Ridge. My parents probably lived in similar dwellings just after WW2.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tom, been enjoying going back over your wanderings. The Norton pics made me recall a chap who turned up to our end of year MZ rally in Kent a couple of years ago on a fully loaded Norton.

I'm still wandering around on my Beemer, though it has gained a proper RT fairing now.

I'm pretty sure I recognise some of these Pennsyltucky locations!

KarlB
Wondering what the next project will be!
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Hi Karl,

That Norton looks like a proper Mile Muncher! Although that mighty top case may be a bit much for my own tastes. Nice set up, all infall tho.

Guess I hadn't realized you didn't already have a factory fairing on the R80, but thinking back, wasn't it a Windjammer or Krauser or something like? Didn't realize its a mono either! Well another day, something new learned! Nice bike (and fairing) for your part of the world! You can laugh at rain, wind, and cold as you toodle around on that!

Cheers!
Tom

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tom, the Beemer had a Rickman Polaris fairing previously, not bad weather protection, except for the hands.
It did rattle a bit and the wind did rattle down the back of your neck.

RT faring is much quieter and protects the legs and hands better ime.

Just need a winter rally up in Yorkshire to test it out in some real weather, but our usual place in How Stean Gorge, Nidderdale, HG3 5SF, has been sold, so awaiting to see if we're going to use it again.

KarlB
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Well the United Nations’ World Food Programme has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2020. It’s exciting for me because my sister has worked for WFP for many years, mostly on the African Continent (although she spent some time at the WFP home office in Rome, Italy). She worked out of Dakar, Senegal managing operations in Sub-Saharan Africa for a few years and the past 2 years have seen her working in Nigeria. She worked her way up the ladder and became (I think) 2nd in charge of WFP operations in Nigeria. Assistant Country Director if I’m not mistaken.

Conditions there are pretty horrific on the ground and she spent at least a year in the field there dealing with refugees rendered homeless by Boka Haram actions on villages. When she was awarded the directorship, she moved to the Nigerian capitol of Abuja. It’s an indescribable & unbelievable mess, 24/7 crisis management, is the best way to describe it. She works her absolute @$$ off tho and has 100% heart, mind, body, & soul into her work.

She retires in early November but to have the WFP recognized in such a way as being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize (for their global efforts) means that every single staff member of WFP also gets their own small share of the glory of that recognition. The work they do in battle zones and hot spots on Africa, in Syria, Afghanistan, Yemen, and other places worldwide goes largely unrecognized and this is not only a great honor but is also gratifying and very very exciting. Jamie, as it happens, gets to go out on an extremely high note!

So to my lovely, talented, hard working, caring & loving sister, I say congratulations for a job well done! Congrats, too, to all World Food Programme staff worldwide.

ARTICLE HERE

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/09/20 9:24 pm.

4 members like this: KarlB, Gordon Gray, BeezaBryan, Noe
K
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
K
It is such a breath of fresh air to hear a "good news" story in these turbulent times. Kudos to your sister.
Tom

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Three cheers for your sister!

Some really good stuff on the news (NPR/PBS..) today about WFP.

Tell her, thank-you.

----THE CLASH-----

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by koncretekid
It is such a breath of fresh air to hear a "good news" story in these turbulent times. Kudos to your sister.
Tom

Indeed, thanks very much for commenting. thumbsup

Originally Posted by rick e.
Three cheers for your sister!

Some really good stuff on the news (NPR/PBS..) today about WFP.

Tell her, thank-you.

Thanks Rick, I'm over the moon about it myself. I've passed your thanks on to her (she's in Rome at her home currently, having got out of Abuja just prior to them locking the country's borders back in early April), telling her I'm gushing to everybody about this- and she responded, "sweet"!

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
I have a "new" (to me) lens for the medium format camera- it's a 250mm Zeiss lens, and although I got it back during early summer, I've not used it very much so far BUT in the past few weeks, I have been experimenting with "long distance close ups". Here are 2 such experimental photos, using my "spare" 500c camera body, the 250mm Sonnar lens on Fujifilm's Provia 100F color reversal aka "slide" film. This is after bringing the Rock & Roll Norton back from our BRITBIKE REUNION CAMP weekend down in Georgia. The bike is clearly a mess, truly "rode hard & hung up wet". laughing

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tom, another bike that you may not have seen is my classic Slabby, except it's not really a slabside anymore as it didn't come with the original race fairing. Though it is a first year (1985) Suzuki GSXR 750 model, short swingarm, fuel gauge in tank, flat side carbs, adjustable forks etc. I wasn't intending on getting it a few years back but one of my older brothers bought it and I just knew he'd kill himself on it as he's crashed every bike he's ever owned so I did a deal with him and bought him a smaller, more manageable bike. He didn't crash that, he crashed another one he acquired and did his foot in so no more motorcycles for him.

It's called the Minion for obv reasons and was painted a local (well local to my Dad's old house) company colours as a previous owner was going to take it racing. Much to Graham and Ed's delight that company was a refuse collection company. Well at least I can't lose it in a bike park. The PO had modified it with the higher bars and I added the Acewell speedo etc when I sorted out the mess that the wiring was in along with sorting out the overly loud exhaust.

It is very nimble and surprisingly has a very broad power band and will pull in nearly any gear from low revs right up to 13000 revs. Never got that high as I normally run out of road really quickly. Top speed is supposed to be 145mph and it get's through the quarter mile in not a lot of time!

I've been really surprised at what a lovely motor it is, probably why they put a version of this motor into so many later road bikes. Handles OK, brakes are what you'd expect from the late 80s a bit wooden but the more you squeeze the more you stop. It has later Bandit wheels so I can use more modern tyre sizes and rubber.

It's an example of Etsuo Yocouchi's first 'light is right' bikes that totally transformed motorcycles in the late 80s.

Not really sure what to do with it now though as it's a laugh a mile but I'm not really getting enough miles on it due to the other bikes being a tad more usable everyday. Ho hum...nice to have such problems I guess.

Anyway, that's four of the five bikes, I'll leave the other one to another time... ohno

KarlB
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Karl, thanks for sharing!

I actually had seen this bike some years back - but not in such detail. It does look like it's probably a hoot to ride! Yeah, nothing wrong at all with a Suzuki inline 4, that much is certain! Interesting frame too, guess that would have been heed behind bodywork on other models, yes?

The *actual* Minion behind the plexi screen with the dual headlamps makes the bike, IMO. smile

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/11/20 7:50 pm.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yes, a fair bit of the frame and engine in the early bikes was hidden, though on later touring or road bikes it was all on show. A good looking motor really with all the finning, it's oil cooled btw.

This is how it would have originally looked when it left the factory. Most of the first year bikes went to production race teams in the UK so mine's likely a grey import from Japan.

KarlB
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Red Rabbit Drive In, not far from home. I believe this roadside joint was featured in a TV show called Drive ins, Diners, & Dives? (or something like that) some years back.

Make The Red Rabbit A Habit

Shot on my gifted Praktica LTL camera with Film Ferrania's P30 film

"