Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
tg4360
tg4360
Richmond, VA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#809404 05/19/20 1:31 am
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Part 1, 18 May, 2020

Ok so I'm freakin BORED stiff. No work, none on the horizon. Been riding around, all over the neighborhood- in fact I've ridden so much locally that I'm bored with that. Nothing for it then but to make random turns and go in new directions. Today, I raised I had not put up a single photo or ride report all year long, in spite of riding more than normal. Not really taking any digital photos, guess I'm bored with my digit-cam too.

Today, after reading Shaun's ride report , I thought "well why Not do a ride and take some photos!" SO I got my digital camera all ready to go- then rode off without it by accident! Well, there's always the phone, so here it is. But then when I was thinking about it some more, I thought maybe I'd begin a new thread for the season, to cover all my rides, post some pix from my various film cameras, and whatnot. Maybe it'll be a "thing". I'll. be busy trying to occupy myself for most of this year, the way things are looking right now for the entertainment industry.

Right then, here we go. This afternoon, I hopped on the Norton. Thinking on it just a little, I decided to ride downriver. For those who don't know the River in question is the Mighty Susquehanna river. I hadn't ridden straight south any time lately, so I figured I'd ride as close to the river as I could, feeling my way along as I went. I can, in theory, get "lost", but only to the extent that I don't really know "where" I am- but also knowing that it's only matter of time until I come out either on a road I know, or come out into some PLACE I know. I only live in one of the most populous sections of the entire country, right? So it's not like I'll need the North Star and the satellites for navigating my way home.

My ride began going through the next town south, New Cumberland. I lived down there for a few years above my old friend' hair salon. Across the street from there is a cool old building where another good friend has a hippie burrito business, this is the HQ location. It's called Neato Burrito. My fri ends Shayne. & Grace decided last year to have somebody paint a massive mural on the entire east side of the building and boy is it ever a ton of fun. SO that made a good fist stop for a photo.

[Linked Image from ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com]

Heading south, I aimed my front wheel for Goldsboro, a tiny little village right on the river, straight across from the now defunct Three Mile Island. Finally, it's shut down after all these years. Can you believe the power company that owns it tried to sweet talk the Pennsylvania legislators into having us taxpayers foot the bill for clean-up on the place? Well THAT didn't get very far, thankfully.

river looking like a lake here above one of the many dams

Big view looking back upriver, from this hilltop

Further downstream, at the little town York Haven, there are a. couple other power stations, One is water powered and the other is coal fired.

Since there's a lot of railroad activity around here, and trains help supply the. above power facility, there's all these railroad bridges around. Most of them are made out of Ironstone, which is super heavy and dense.

A lot of iron was forged locally back in the day, and there are more than a few place where one can fin old iron furnaces. This, that I just found today, is the biggest one I've seen, and. one of the most complete too.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/19/20 1:49 am.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

1 member likes this: GrandPaul
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
So basically, I left York Haven, went onto Brunner Island, Crossed the Conewago Creek, and rode south ish, sticking to small lanes as I found my way along.
If I wanted to ride some dirt roads, I could have stayed closer to the river's edge, but then I wouldn't have found all the great roads! I came up off the river a ways and made a hard left onto Gravel Hill Road, which ended up being a long run on a handful of excellent roads, through deep, newly green forest!

Eventually, I crossed the Codorus Creek, and kept making my way sought, over hill & dale on some really exhilarating roads with zero cars. Again, I could have stuck closer to eh river had I want to ride dirt. I was beginning to realize that at some pint I couldn't help but end up at Wrightsville. At Wrightsville there's anole cement bridge that was built back in the 1930s? (I think). I could cross the river there and head back towards home.

There is also an old foundry here, and it's now a bit of a high end restaurant & tourist trap. We've stopped here on rides before to enjoy a bite and beverage while admiring the views of the river. It's lovely tho for sure and if you're ever down that way, be sure to pop into the John Wright Foundry to check them out!

Now this is where the ride could well continue south along the river, there's a bunch of good riding down in here- AND if you go far enough, you can cross the river at the Conowingo Dam and turn back north through Lancaster County's lovely farm country.... but that gets complicated, and besides, it was later in the day and I wanted more to get back towards home. So I crossed the old bridge after gassing up and found my way to PA 441 North. BUT not before taking some pix at waterside in Columbia- an old Susquehanna river commerce town from way back.

Riding back upriver on PA 441, it seemed I maybe could have stuck to some smaller roads, and now looking at the map, I see it's possible to zig and zag a little, but there's a lot of industrial stuff not eh east side of the river, including a couple more power stations- It'll do to take more time on another occasion to explore this area some- and there's a bit of a hike just north of Columbia that leads to an astonishing view of the river. Today, the parking lot for that was slammed tho, so not a good idea to get that close to so many people..... I've walked it before tho, and we'll do it again in the future. Also, looking at the map of the west. side of the river, I do see I could have stuck a lot closer to the river- again, most of that would be dirt roads, tho. It's doable, its not like single track or cow paths... Just wasn't going to get into that today- and I rode some GREAT Stuff along the way! Will definitely show you some more of that sometime soon.

SO meanwhile one last pic from today... up close & personally this time- and down wind too! laugh

Cheers, everyone. Please excuse the phone pix. Some of these I was able to do some mild editing. on and some I wasn't so the pix are a little rough today.
Thanks for riding along just the same.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 05/19/20 1:53 am.

1 member likes this: GrandPaul
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
We need to go that direction again on one of our rides.... I forgot how great the roads were that we use to ride when I was in Dover.... They really are great all over PA

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Man!!!! What a ride! What a bike!!!! Great post!

1954 B31 Plunger 1966 BSA Hornet 1969 T120R 1969 TR6C 1971 B25SS 1972 B50SS 1969 B44 Victor Special
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nice assortment of bikes there Kevin Victor

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Kevin Victor
Man!!!! What a ride! What a bike!!!! Great post!

thanks dude!

Originally Posted by wadeschields
We need to go that direction again on one of our rides.... I forgot how great the roads were that we use to ride when I was in Dover.... They really are great all over PA

My thought exactly bro. If we go on a weekend, we can pop down to that old biker honky tonk joint down along the Susquehanna in Maryland. We c Ould come. back thru Lancaster but that gets us into the city and also adds a lot more miles on the day. I rode that big loop on the K1200 that day we met after you got off form work at Atomic a few. years ago. Coming back off the river up that east side I rode US 222 or some such. So not a tiny lane,AND it brought me straight thru the city of Lancaster!

Although we could probably figure out a way to stick closer to the river and ride the whole way back to Harrisburg.

Better start THAT day at sunrise tho! laugh

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
OK so I'm bored, right? Probably go for a ride today, but in the meantime, here are some recent photos. I've been shooting quite a bit of film lately. I actually have a project I started- documenting Pennsyltuckey's old coal mining region's tiny villages & small towns. The area seems mostly kind of depressed, even th there's active mining going on. The color shots are 35mm, the B&W shots medium format. YES, I said "film".

Here are a couple *other* shots of some typical Pennsyltuckey stuff- old 1 room schoolhouses and covered bridges

OK so what's everyone else doing right now? Let me remind you all that anyone can post photos and show us your rides around your neighborhood, wherever you are.
You guys have bikes, yes?
You're riding them, yes?
You have a camera, or at least a phone, yes?
Alright then what's the hold up.

So there are multiple tutorials around this site nohow to post photos. Easiest and best way is to have a photo "host" site. Sure there are numerous free sites for Hosting and there are a few real good paid sites. I use Zenfolio, but there is also another good one called SmugMug. Get it sorted anklet's see your rides!

NO PRESSURE, "just saying". grin

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
OK s I've been d doing a lot of riding. WAY more "riding" than "taking photos". SO no pix. Yesterday I rode 277 kms, about 172 miles. On my R100RS. I was flogging it pretty hard, I guess. Blew out a fork seal, tho and at. one point the front end began to feel "funny". Not "funny LOL" but "funny uh-oh". Stopped to take a look and my front tire was drastically low on air. Thankfully I was on the edge of a small town, so I limped s-l-o-w-l-y back into the town to a convenience store with gas pumps and and air pump/compressor vending machine.

Cranked the tire up to over pressure, as I was about 30 or so miles from home, said a prayer of "pretty please" and eased my way back to the house. I made it without further ado, and just now checked the tire. It's holding air, and my "kick test" seems to indicate it being roughly similar in feel to when I kicked it yesterday after airing it up. All I can figure out is that with the bad fork seal, I might have partially and momentarily broken the bead on one of the hard downhill sweepers, and released some air out of the tire?

Suffice it to say I rode considerably slower going home than I had ridden earlier! *whew*

My route, if you want to follow along was something like

US 11/15 north out of Harrisburg to Duncannon PA
322 east across the Susquehanna river to PA 147 north>Halifax
225 from Halifax up to PA 890, over to US 61 to Sunbury
US 15 N to PA 304

I took 304 over to Wildwood Road and noodled my way along Penns Creek for quite a while. If you look at the topography, you'll see I was also following a ridge. I was on the tiniest lanes, more than once I got onto a road that I thought might dead end on me. Thankfully there is almost always a "no outlet" sign if that's the road doesn't go through. Following my front wheel, the creek, and the ridgeline- and vaguely knowing where I was headed, I eventually came out onto my targeted return route, PA 235. This route was pretty much following the edge of Penns Valley- paralleling PA route 45.

I rode 235 south though McAllistersville and picked up PA 333, riding that over to Thompsontown where I got up on 322 eastbound for a few miles. Got off at the Millerstown exit and followed the Juniata downriver to Newport. After airing up my tire, I rode 34 south to the top of Sterrett's Gap, made left onto Sunnyside Drive, going down the mountain out onto 944 east, which basically took me home. 944 ends at Enola which is upriver (on the Susquehanna) from me.

I think this all took me about 5-6 hours. Pennsylvania is perfect for motorcycling. Great roads, very little traffic. I've ridden so much of the state that in many places, I simply cannot get truly lost. At some point I'm going to come out onto a road I know, or that is a PA state route. I do carry an old road atlas. in my saddle bag tho, so I have a handy reference if I need it, and there's always my phone for that matter- along as I have signal. there's a series of ridges and valleys that run in a downward arc to the south and west, and it's virtually impossible to get lost in that region- l you have to do is follow the ridges on either side of each valley. Some of my friends marvel ay my "ability" to navigate by landscape features, but there's no real secret to it- after all I've lived here for most of my life now...

Well so far, anyway!

Maybe one day soon, I'lll slow down and take some photos. ha ha

1 member likes this: Noe
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Never slow down Tom, 'cos the Reaper might catch up!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C7CZYL?ref_=dbs_r_series&storeType=ebooks

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
As you is bored, how about a trip down memory lane .... remember this?

DSCF2338.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C7CZYL?ref_=dbs_r_series&storeType=ebooks

Good judgment comes from experience, but the most memorable experiences tend to come from bad judgment!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Thanks for the ride report and photos Tom.
It’s a long way from Harrisburg but a favourite of mine when riding down to State College from Niagara was a little road off Pa Route 120 at the village of Sinnamahoning. It runs up to the Quahanna Wild Area and is called Wycoff Run, and it has dozens of great curves and elevation changes. When I got up to the end of this road I liked it so much I turned around and ran it all the way back down and then turned around and went back up to continue my journey.
Pennsylvania has some great roads, where I live it is flat and boring!
Cheers. Stay safe and stay healthy.
Don in Niagara

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
1 member likes this: ricochetrider
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Graham Ham
As you is bored, how about a trip down memory lane .... remember this?

Hi Graham! Yes, I remember it well, the old castle at.... well wherever it was in Yorkshire. Names of the village and the castle escapes me currently.
Nice pic, BTW!

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Don Leaming
Thanks for the ride report and photos Tom.
It’s a long way from Harrisburg but a favourite of mine when riding down to State College from Niagara was a little road off Pa Route 120 at the village of Sinnamahoning. It runs up to the Quahanna Wild Area and is called Wycoff Run, and it has dozens of great curves and elevation changes. When I got up to the end of this road I liked it so much I turned around and ran it all the way back down and then turned around and went back up to continue my journey.
Pennsylvania has some great roads, where I live it is flat and boring!
Cheers. Stay safe and stay healthy.
Don in Niagara

Don, howdy, man!
I've ridden up & down 120 along the west branch of the Susquehanna more than a couple fo times over the years. Was just thinking recently that I need to get back up there. I'll check that road out on the map, I may have ridden it already. SO many roads running north off 120 run up/down creek valleys that spill into the Big River. A bunch of them run all the way up to US Hiway 6. I'll have to take a couple days and do some distance riding since I can't work- and it doesn't LOOK like Ill work at all this year, which is to say that all major tours have canelled- and nobody forsees any concerts in arenas or theaters or stadiums in 2020!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'm still getting acquainted with the roads in my new neighborhood, but I grew up about 70 miles east of here. Once I find a major road I know where I am.
It's fun following roads with animal names and ridge or hollow in the names.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by DavidP
I'm still getting acquainted with the roads in my new neighborhood, but I grew up about 70 miles east of here. Once I find a major road I know where I am.
It's fun following roads with animal names and ridge or hollow in the names.

I agree. "Hollow" is always good. Around here "Ridge Road" and "Creek Road" is everywhere. In Pa there are many many ridges of all sizes and I think I read somewhere once that PA has something 6,000 miles canoeable creeks and rivers. Those two road names are everywhere!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tom bro dude sweet....Just Sweet my man, but you're going to have to stop this, or one day soon y'all will have a big fat English guy, standing on the porch of the sky tower, asking for the key to big Red.... wink

We could ride them roads for a couple of days, then go pay Don a visit up in Niagara, no Doot About it eh, sure would like to have a beer with THAT dude... thumbsup

He could tell us about the Larch the Birch and the mighty Scots Pine. And point out which tap we need to pull, to get us some Moose juice.... beerchug

In the meantime..... I'm available in a few hours for riding a photo taking, watch this space..... wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
1 member likes this: ricochetrider
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Oh Shaun. Sorry lad but I, like you, live in the south, the Deep South, about as far south as as you can get in this land. There are a few scots pines, but the birch and larch can’t hack the climate or the soil. They like the far north Canadian Shield, lots of granite and some moose, grey wolf and black bear. The native forest around here is pretty well all gone, it was Carolinian forest, sycamore, oak, soft maple and such.
Besides the 5 million people who live within a hundred mile radius the whole place is nearly flat farmland. But! ... little country pubs, that we got, so all is not lost. Any and all of you guys are welcome here, anytime.
Cheers
Don in Niagara

1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Shaun, Don, LETS DO IT! I'm hankerin to get nawth. To get ANYwhere really. This sitting around, not my style dudes. Meanwhile just got some scans in from having my recent film developed. Here's Sixth Street Specials in NEEEW YAWK SITTY

and a close up of one of the Bing carbs on the *cough cough* R100RS

cheers guys, gotta bounce
more later

Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo

1 member likes this: Hugh Jörgen
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

1970 T120R - 'Anton'
1970 Commando - 'Bruno'
1967 T120R - 'Caesar'
1968 Lightning - 'Dora'
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There is the small problem of coming north with the border being closed to all non essential travel. Afraid a ride north will have to wait until this virus goes away.
If we leave the province and get back in we have to go in quarantine for 14 days! We did that already in March when we got back from AZ.
Don

1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Don, no worries daddy o, all good things in all good time!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tom Bro dude, y'all have a photo of Bing, but where's Bob.... shocked

Bing & Bob are always together, my man....Just sayin'

This not going anywhere lark is doing my head in dudes, can't even have a pint, or get me hair cut. Out on the Commuter today, and had to stand outside the Fish & Chip shop.... cry

It's getting to be silly now, worst thing of all, I can't ride to Croatia with the lads. And THAT'S what the Curry Muncher was purchased for.... frown

Oh well, always another time and another place dudes, do the British thing. Keep that upper lip stiff, and carry on... beerchug

Last edited by Kent Shaun; 05/31/20 4:06 pm.

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Snapper Soup Anyone?

I resemble some places near you! I grew up on a farm on rt. 896 just outside Newark, Delaware just down the road from Lancaster and the Amish country. Except that I moved to Nova Scotia in 1973 but still have roots down there.

I took the Norton out for a stretch today to find some of the old bridges, as most of them have been replaced with "Bailey" bridges, so not so picturesque. But here are a few.

This one on the Tusket River near East Kempt which is about 20 miles from me.

And a little further up on the Tusket River I found one of the old iron bridges, but you have to go on some of the gravel roads to find them.

And finally, I found a companion crossing the road. Snapper Soup anyone? The snapping turtles come out of the lakes and rivers at this time of year to lay their eggs and can quite often be found crossing the roads. I stopped and helped this guy along after he posed for the photo.

Tom

Last edited by koncretekid; 05/31/20 7:49 pm.

Life's uncertain - go fast now!
Moto Mojo
OP Offline
Moto Mojo
Tom, thanks for posting! Not that I have any REAL idea where you live in Nova Scotia but it LOOKS (to me) rather like the peninsula, than "oop nawth" on The Island.

Nice bike, BTW.

I'm riding with at least one buddy today, maybe I'll have some pix to add.... *spoiler alert*: these guys ride *cough cough* Harleys.

Cheers everybody! Happy June. WOW is it really June already? 3 months of sitting around never went so fast. ha.

Oh BTW to end on a note of humor, I saw a thing the other day after the Space-X/NASA rocket launch. It was a tweet from somebody saying "Congratulations to the 2 astronauts who left earth this morning. Good Choice" laughing

Meanwhile back down here, for lack of having a rocket, WE RIDE.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor