BritBike.com Forum Manuals & Parts books Sponsors

BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
Hermit
Hermit
Quebec Canada
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i came across this recently. anybody ever heard of it?

Juat picked up a nice tip on making 4 speed Triumph, and any other Brit transmissions, shift better. The reason you miss shifts with Brit 4 speeds, particularly the Triumph's, is that they have too many dogs on the lower gears. We got a transmission in that a guy had modified for racing, and what he had done was grind every other dog half-way down, so the remaining dogs would have an easier time engaging, but when the gear was slid all the way over, he would still have full engagment of all the dogs. He said it works slick. I have always opted for the Triumph 5 speed, whenever I could find one as the 4 speeds were tough to catch some of the gears, the 5 speed has fewer dogs, but now I'll try this and see if it straightens out my 4 speeds. BTW, I just bought a 64' TR6 SR and a 65' Bonneville, couldn't help myself. I may sell off one of them.

I would rather be ashes than dust
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by kevin
The reason you miss shifts with Brit 4 speeds, particularly the Triumph’s

Who misses shifts?

And the Triumph’s what, anyway?

I had every second dog engaging tooth break off the pressed-on gear on a replacement mainshaft once.

Last edited by triton thrasher; 10/24/20 7:54 am.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Triumph 4 speed boxes are pretty crude compared to a Bsa or Norton. At race speed, I have no problem (usually) going from 4 to 3, it just drops in. Going from 3 to 2 requires a throttle blip, a deliberate move and hold on the shift lever. And sometimes I still manage to find a neutral. It seems to me that the factory did cut back every other tooth somewhere on one of many versions of the 4 speed. I have 5 or 6 gearsets here, will try to identify which one I saw that on.

1 member likes this: kevin
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by triton thrasher
I had every second dog engaging tooth break off the pressed-on gear on a replacement mainshaft once.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
kevin Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
that is very odd.

was it like that all the way around?

I would rather be ashes than dust

Moderated by  Allan G 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership

Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books