Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
tg4360
tg4360
Richmond, VA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Great bike! I miss mine. I would carry extra relays with you. I had one of the upgraded ones fail out on the road. Did you see if ur bike falls into the trans and con bolt recall? Sounds like the po was pretty meticulous, so I'm sure they were if they were needed. Brian

Brian
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
Thanks, Brian. Will look at the recalls again. I think I saw that my VIN is out of the recall range. Some of the bike's history the PO (Tom M) told me, a lot more I can read in his forum posts -- he was meticulous and generous in posting his experience and knowledge.

I do have the working 10A relays that I took out, maybe I'll order up another set of the 5-pin items.

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
The stupidity was solely my own. Didn’t farm any of it out... best to keep these things to ones self I suppose. Before you know it someone will attempt an intervention.... which in hindsight may have been a good thing.

As for heat... where is you garage? Mine is attached to the house underneath the master bedroom. The house was initially electric heat, but retrofitted to forced air natural gas... probably by a troupe of chimpanzees. They ran air ducts across the garage ceiling to the master bedroom etc. Didn’t think the bride would notice if there was only 2 functioning heat ducts instead of 3. Number 3 now heats the garage. Building codes you ask? I just don’t run anything in there. When welding, (mostly TIG so not much smoke) I close off the heat duct and have a range hood with two fans over the bench which exhausts directly outside. It’s a blessing having the heat. Whenever there is a minute to work on something, then no waiting.... plus all the bits and pieces aren’t sweating away. If I was in a colder climate, I’d figure out a way to retrofit radiant in floor. It’s the way to go. Bunch of tubing, small pump, thermostat. and a hot water tank.

#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
Good plan thumbsup

My garage is a detached cement block on a slab 20 feet x 20 feet. There is power 110v and good lighting. Every year I think I'll look into a ductless mini-split for heating & cooling. Guessing I'd have to run 220v underground for starters. Winters have been a lot milder lately. Last January I was working in there with the double door up on sunny days with temps around 65F. Did get colder after that, though. If it's at least 50F it's actually good working temperature as long as I'm actually working and not just hanging out. No bad weather, just bad clothing.

The BSA spent more time on the lift than on the road, I think frown

Two years ago:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Recently:

Kurt

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Put a mini-split in my son’s house last summer. Seems like the perfect thing for a shop. As for 220, the cable/ box etc. adds up, but you can sort of amortize that with the addition of all the other 220v toys that you’ll be able to rationalize.

Haven’t been to Arlington, but spent a bit of time in Boston. Went to the JFK Library.... surreal. Neat city, although couldn’t figure out why they didn’t develop the Boston waterfront more... same thing applies here though.

#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
Hmmm ... I did just sell a bike (Suzuki DR650) ... maybe I'll look into the mini split. Yes, with 220v, then I can go up on the air compressor, f'rinstance.

A big dock and warehouse area has been re-developed just a few years back, part of South Boston, between the channel and the harbor. Pretty impressive. Access to the water is a big issue, some developers want to wall off the rest of the city from the waterfront.

Kurt

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My house has an integral double garage--originally unheated.
The guy I bought it off was a plumber.
He converted one of the garages into a playroom for his kids.
He drywalled off the garage door and put in a baseboard heater with its own thermostat and teed off the central AC with a duct through the ceiling.
He had left the actual garage door in place.
So basically all I had to do was take out the drywalling and I had a workshop with its own heating and AC.
I leave the thermostat set to 54F all year round and that is warm enough to work in all winter long.
But certainly wouldn't want to work there in the winter with no heat.
Kurt--you should take some of the millions you made by selling your Brit bikes and invest in a heating system---maybe an electrical radiant heater which is only on when you are there?
Oh--sorry---I forgot --you are keeping the money to buy back into Brit bikes when you are fed up with being on the dark side ! (Brit humor!).

#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
Good setup you have there, Richard. This winter I'm planning to keep the garage for the bikes only, the car will stay outside, what with these mild winters lately and the fact that I really don't have to drive much, the car can get iced and snowed in for all I care. So the car may end up in a snow drift til April depending on how it goes.

I'll have to look into radiant heaters -- what with fuel and solvents in the garage. Wondering what I can do with the existing 110 line ... something to check out ... rather than digging a trench for a new 220 line. Although the 110 was installed in a new conduit about 10 years ago with the idea that a new bigger line could be pulled through, theoretically anyway. Guess if I'd thought I was gonna live this long, I might have put in the 220 in the first place.

Are there any bikes built in Britain these days? Any of the Triumphs?

Kurt

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I only take the K wheels to a shop for tire fitment, just can't find the strength to lever on those low-profile Metzelers. I still mount tires on the Brits, I can't subject another person to the joy of tubes and rim locks.
I'm still working in my carport, with a small shop behind. But, in a few weeks they'll deliver my new 8x12 shed. I might be able to run buried cable from the breaker box in the shop about 6' to get power there for lights and a space heater. Luxury laugh

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Our garage used to be a carport. It was closed in long before we came along, so not anticipating any objections. Could you close yours in or would the town hall folk get excited? Close it in and paint a mural of a carport on the front.

#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
Now looking into infrared heaters ... Web searches ... reading posts on The Garage Journal ... one heater I found is a combination of infrared and ceramic ... they seem relatively safe ... also looking at wall/ceiling mounted ... gonna focus on fire hazard now ... .

Thinking of asking my HVAC guy for recommendations.

Tire mounting: I used to be good at tire mounting, that is until some arthritis started creeping into my hands, so I take all such jobs to my HD shop, old friend Paul Morrissey is willing to mount the tube-types, even with rim locks, but I try not to wear out my welcome.

For DIY, these Motion Pro "RimSheilds" are a big help:
https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0546

Kurt

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
If I was smart, I would get my tires done by someone else. The hands don’t need any more wear. I wonder how those protectors work compared to these ones. I’d rate these as “ok”, but annoying at times. You can add a wire to help tether them against the rim, but they do clip over the edge. If you don’t use tethers, count them when you’re done. I highly recommend the lever, in fact I need another one. Just have to use caution and ease the tire on. Lots of leverage at 20”. No recollection of where I bought it.

You have a nice setup there in your garage.... definitely worth adding some heat. Even if it’s just so you can sit out there with a glass of scotch and stare at stuff.

I should break down and get a proper lift. Using an engine hoist to put stuff on the bench is going to bite me someday. I’m a little challenged for space though.

When talking to the HVAC guy.... maybe see if there is a way to control whatever you get remotely so you have the option of warming the place up before you head out.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]8BA09B78-2041-4FF6-A6BC-56F3662334D7 by First Last, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]5A5D5134-4F72-4DEC-B658-F008D7CDF485 by First Last, on Flickr

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
When I first built my 24x24 garage I insulated it and ran 220v out from the house to a sub panel even though I had no need for 220, just wanted more than 1 circuit out there. Didn't take long before I had a Bridgeport and a MIG welder so I'm glad I had the extra voltage. Heat was initially a wall mounted propane unit but it did make me nervous about open flames. A few years later I installed an outdoor wood furnace that takes care of my house, garage and domestic hot water so no more open flames. I'm lucky enough to not have any close neighbors to bother with the wood smoke but I have to admit, it get a little harder each year to have to fill the wood shed with 7 to 8 chords. ..That's a nice tire spoon Cyborg..beats the two short ones I've been using.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
That spoon gets a lot of use between tire changes. Perfect for popping axles out of FWD cars... although I gave that up for lent. Always levering something with it.. the thing stands up to all sorts of abuse.
Wish I had a Bridgeport. Guess I should consider myself lucky that I have a mill, but frustrating when you don’t have enough room to jam a set of cases in there. 220 is like a gateway drug... then again so are mills.

#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
Cyborg -- The new MotionPro Rim Shields are MUCH better than the old skinny ones. Kurt-tested and Kurt approved! Rated *****

I always used three shorter tire levers, and locked them under a spoke as I worked around the rim when removing tire. That's just me.

That HF lift has more than paid for itself, at around $300. It started leaking after a few years, so I use this jack oil with "Stop Leak"
https://barsleaks.com/product/jack-oil-with-stop-leak-hj12/

Plus I get a lot of bang for the buck and usage out of a wheel chock lagged into the floor:

Front wheel in chock:

Rear wheel in chock:
(^^ bike I just sold.)

Gateway drug -- sounds about right.

Mike -- The outdoor boiler -- can you burn most any wood? Scrap lumber, crates, for example?

Last edited by kurt fischer; 10/29/20 7:35 pm.

Kurt

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
[quote=kurt fischer]Mike -- The outdoor boiler -- can you burn most any wood? Scrap lumber, crates, for example?

If it fits through the door it will burn it, but I don't like to do that. The only scrap I'll burn is non pressure treated, nails pulled out, and no plywood either. I've got friends that will put all their household garbage, cardboard and paper through theirs (even the occasional plastic bucket :eek) but it doesn't do the stove much good.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Cyborg #828188 10/29/20 6:15 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Cyborg
. Guess I should consider myself lucky that I have a mill, but frustrating when you don’t have enough room to jam a set of cases in there. 220 is like a gateway drug... then again so are mills.

Mills are cheap....it's the tooling that kills you

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Proper lock-ups have three phases smile

The 1976 Moto Guzzi Le Mans was visually pleasing.

[Linked Image from motorcyclespecs.co.za]

Dibnah #828203 10/29/20 8:06 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Dibnah
Proper lock-ups have three phases smile

[Linked Image from motorcyclespecs.co.za]

or at least a phase converter whistle

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
Heat in the garage would be nice today ... if only ... grin

(Today's snow: rain remnants of Hurricane Zeta moved up from the Gulf and met January-like cold air in New England... so, yes, climate change.)

Last edited by kurt fischer; 10/30/20 6:11 pm.

Kurt

D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
Global warming

Cyborg #828312 10/30/20 5:51 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Cyborg
Could you close yours in or would the town hall folk get excited? Close it in and paint a mural of a carport on the front.
It could be done. I'm outside the city limits, but I would need approval from the property owners' association. I already went through that to get my shed.
The best improvement I could make to my carport is selling the BMW to create more space.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Kurt, Nice bike! MG has always been in my scope of awareness but way back in the back. Not having had any Italian bikes, I (so far) have just chosen to go with what I know. Maybe some day.
Hang in there and enjoy the "new" ride, man.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
Thanks, rr. As mentioned, the MG experience has many similarities to the BB experience.

The 5" snowfall of Oct 30 has melted, now in a warming trend, 60F on the way! So, more miles to go on the Guzzi this year.

I scan the ads on FB and CL for Guzzis, This 1986 V 50 LeMans, listed at $1800 just an hour away, sold in 6 days -- you snooze, you lose!

"Runs and drives great, clean title, great bike for beginner or guzzi enthusiasts. Parts are surprisingly easy to find online if that is a concern. Front visor and windshield are available and I have a box with a few other parts. Runs mint, only selling because I have a child and never have time to ride it. Small tear in seat and paint bubbles in tank are the only defects, as shown in pictures."

* Fly-in-the-ointment: the paint bubbles on the tank mean that the tank has softened, so that would need attention.

Kurt

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
In Texas, our climate changes ALL THE TIME. Yes, the summers are generally hot for longer than other places "up north", but we can even get multiple climate changes in the same day.

Thus it has always been, and thus it ever shall be...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor