Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Norri Robertson
Norri Robertson
Glendale AZ USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
Originally Posted by kurt fischer
Cyborg -- The new MotionPro Rim Shields are MUCH better than the old skinny ones. Kurt-tested and Kurt approved! Rated *****

I always used three shorter tire levers, and locked them under a spoke as I worked around the rim when removing tire. That's just me.

That HF lift has more than paid for itself, at around $300. It started leaking after a few years, so I use this jack oil with "Stop Leak"
https://barsleaks.com/product/jack-oil-with-stop-leak-hj12/

Plus I get a lot of bang for the buck and usage out of a wheel chock lagged into the floor:

Gateway drug -- sounds about right.

Unfortunately there are probably enough tires in my future to justify a set of those rim shields. Will likely wait until the border reopens... shipping is putting a dent in my toy fund. It would also add a stupid amount to a HF lift. As much as I’d like to have one, it would end up being a PITA with limited floor space. I could make space I suppose, but need it for a larger lathe with more grunt. I have discovered that life is too short to just sit and watch a lathe produce dainty little shavings.

What I really need is an old cylinder buried in the floor. That way, it would come in handy as a roundhouse for the Guzzi. Backing it out of the garage is awkward and getting more so every day. Might have to rearrange a bench.... that thing has a long wheelbase, at least compared to what I’m used to.

Your garage looks very picturesque with the snow. Believe it or not, we don’t always get snow and when it does arrive, it’s usually short lived. Some brave folks ride year round.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
For those with smaller spaces and bigger budgets, there's the Kendon folding stand-up lift
https://www.kendonusa.com/collections/stand-up-folding-motorcycle-lifts

Back to the HF lift, the front wheel clamp that comes with it is awkward, so cough up another $170 for a Condor trailer chock.
https://www.condor-lift.com/condor-chocks

Cyborg wrote:
"What I really need is an old cylinder buried in the floor."

Yes, just what I've always wanted. Must be flush with the floor, bearing-mounted, so you can rotate it effortlessly. Guess it would need a brake, too.

I keep one bike on the road year 'round, not that I ride in all winter weather, needs to be 40F+ and dry roads.

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You can lower the HF stand and stack it against the wall on its side.
I was thinking of doing that when I bought mine.
However it soon became so useful and indispensable that it has never been against the wall--always in use--either for working on a bike or temporarily storing one there.
HTH

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
I don’t have a wall to stack it against. A local training centre was closing down and I bought 5 steel workbenches. At $20 apiece, how could you say no. Then I inherited 4 heavy wood benches from my brother. It’s actually a curse because it allows you to make a bigger mess.
The in-floor would be best for me, especially if it rotates. Already drilled a few holes through the floor for various fasteners, so know it’s not that thick. Also on reasonably high and dry ground. The novelty of pushing that MG around wore off a while ago. Although not much different in weight (maybe sum of the fluids + a few lbs), the 71 Triumph seems tiny in comparison. Now if I could just incorporate a roller starter in there somewhere and a davit for getting completed lumps off the bench.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The only bike I have which needs a turn around is the K. At 600lbs, It's a bear to back out of the carport.
I'm sensing a trend, once the K is gone I'll have plenty of space. I would be amenable to replacing it with a K75s though.
Or a nice Guzzi. Had the chance to buy a V50 which had caught fire about the time I bought the Bonnie instead.
Can't wait to get my new shed, I already bought a 3-Stooges Knuckleheads' Garage sign for it.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
#irideslow
OP Offline
#irideslow
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Kurt--you should take some of the millions you made by selling your Brit bikes and invest in a heating system---maybe an electrical radiant heater which is only on when you are there?
Oh--sorry---I forgot --you are keeping the money to buy back into Brit bikes when you are fed up with being on the dark side ! (Brit humor!).

Richard, I took one hundred-something dollars and bought a Heat Smart Tradesman IR heater 1500W, with h-d tripod. It was sold out just about everywhere, then found one on Wayfair. So far, so good. I can move it around easily and adjust the height. You have to be within five feet or so of the single element to feel the heat, but that's OK.

You can also buy just the heating unit and bolt to the wall or ceiling, or you can get a sturdy "roll cage" with handle for moving it around on the floor. I seem to recall something about fuel and solvent vapors being heavier than air and creeping along the floor, though ... .

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com