Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Bry
Bry
Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#830037 11/16/20 8:34 pm
MikeG Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Rumor has it that Santa is going to bring me some new riding togs for Christmas but he's not sure what I want. I have an old Joe Rocket jacket that's suffered from the usual broken zipper/worn out velcro syndrome but after 15 years I guess that's about right. Before the failures it was a nice cold weather jacket. I also have a Tourmaster that's lighter and just right without the liner for warm weather. Been looking at an Alpinestars Andes V3 and heard good things about them. Anybody out there got opinions?
Thanks

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
MikeG #830041 11/16/20 9:20 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
If you've had good luck with Joe Rocket and Tourmaster, then they're a known quantity and probably worth getting again.

I've got a worn-out Tourmaster Rincon and a worn-out Firstgear Kilimanjaro, lasted about 10 years each, overlapping. As you say, fasteners, velcro, etc go first. They were both good jackets.

Fay bought a set of Rukka gear a couple years ago and that really is some high-quality stuff - no need to change into rain gear when it gets wet. My Aerostich Darien outfit is the same - completely waterproof, very comfortable. So I think we'll probably stick with the high-end stuff, Gore-Tex and all, even though the Joe Rocket, Tourmaster, and FirstGear brands are pretty good ....

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
MikeG #830106 11/17/20 2:07 pm
#irideslow
#irideslow
Take a look at Olympia Motosports. I've got a couple of their jackets, one lighter (Airglide) but versatile, and one heavier (now called Dakar 2) for winter riding, I find them well made and reasonably priced compared to the $$$$$ names.

https://olympiamotosports.com/en-US/products/jackets

Also have a Tourmaster Transition that is going strong after 10 years.

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
MikeG #830153 11/17/20 11:46 pm
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
I always wanted an Olympia jacket called the Airglide Toxic. Safety orange and safety green. They could be seen with your eyes closed! Unfortunately, they never had my size available, while in production. I have heard that Olympia is now out of business. I have one of their all green jackets, with liners. Great jacket, imho.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1974 Daytona project
A couple others
HughdeMann #830191 11/18/20 11:54 am
#irideslow
#irideslow
Originally Posted by HughdeMann
I always wanted an Olympia jacket called the Airglide Toxic. Safety orange and safety green. They could be seen with your eyes closed! Unfortunately, they never had my size available, while in production. I have heard that Olympia is now out of business. I have one of their all green jackets, with liners. Great jacket, imho.

I usually wear some HI-VIZ gear these days, jacket or vest and/or helmet.

As to "now out of business," that's Olympia Sports, you know, sneakers, leggings, jogging togs and such.
https://www.ibtimes.com/olympia-spo...ons-will-close-after-acquisition-2895416

Whereas, Olympia MotoSports is definitely still in business.
https://olympiamotosports.com/en-US

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Can you see me now?

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
MikeG #830257 11/18/20 10:16 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
I went full Goretex a few years ago and never looked back. SO nice not only staying absolutely dry but also not having to stop to put anything on over top of "riding gear".

I bought Rukka, and I guess the *other* company at the tip top of the heap is Klim. You can get Goretex for a little less tho. Gore Industries unconditionally guarantees ANY garment, regardless of manufacturer's name or brand, for life. If you get wet wearing a Goretex garment of any kind, send it in to them and they "certify" leak- you get brand new gear. They don't pro rate it, beat you down, try to skimp out, or anything.

I F'd around with many other coats, jackets, rain gear etc etc for many years and finally made the (considerable) leap. It's been SO worth it. Next up on my "list" t ho, Goretex motorcycle boots- something I've never owned.

Good luck and happy shopping

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

MikeG #830273 11/19/20 12:50 am
Born To Run
Born To Run
+1 for Olympia -

I have the Dakar jacket and Airglide pants. Rukka Virium Gore-Tex X-Trafit Gloves.

At my age, dry AND warm is the name of the game.

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor