Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Denis J
Denis J
Sacramento, CA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#830144 11/17/20 9:31 pm
B
bmwr90s Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B

1973 Norton Commando
1991 FLHTC W/SIDECAR
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Fantastic . I have recently watched every WW2 documentary on Netflix that they have .... Its become an obsession I achieved my dream of having a BSA SxS 12 gauge and now I want a BSA WW2 armament of some sort... Not sure what I want or even what I can afford.... What Ive seen on gun auctions is crazy expensive .... I don't necessarily need a tank buster for 15,000 but something interesting would do wink

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Very nice.
The only pictures my dad brought back were from the Nuremberg trials. He ended his service as a guard and darkroom tech there.
For some reason they wouldn't let him bring his B.A.R. home, but I got his souvenir Luger. laugh

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Surprisingly I have a few good pictures and artifacts of my Dad during WW2. Here is one of him at the landing at Nassau Bay New Guinea in 1943 where he had a protection ring of Australian infantry and the second picture is an observation post in the Owen Stanley range of New Guinea. He liked his Thompson and wearing his hat on the side of his head.

Bill B...

Boomer
1 member likes this: wadeschields
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by DavidP
Very nice.
but I got his souvenir Luger. laugh

I have a Lugar my father brought back in 45 too. I remember asking him when I was young how he got it. He told me he traded a pair of pilots sunglasses for it, but years later he told my brother "the guy I got it from didn't need it anymore" and that's all he would say.
The thing that always strikes me when looking at these type of pictures is how much older than their years these guys look. Most are probably in their early 20s at best but look as though they have lived a lifetime already.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by MikeG
Originally Posted by DavidP
Very nice.
but I got his souvenir Luger. laugh

I
The thing that always strikes me when looking at these type of pictures is how much older than their years these guys look. Most are probably in their early 20s at best but look as though they have lived a lifetime already.

This dude ....

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

is Oberleutnant zur See Hans-Georg Hess, who commanded U-955 from October 1944 to May 1945, at the age of 21, and won the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross for sinking 6 ships.

It's been a long time since I met a 21-year-old who could even wipe his own arse, much less command a warship in combat. It's what happens when there's a war on ....

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
1 member likes this: Bob E
DOPE
DOPE
Originally Posted by Boomer
Surprisingly I have a few good pictures and artifacts of my Dad during WW2. Here is one of him at the landing at Nassau Bay New Guinea in 1943 where he had a protection ring of Australian infantry and the second picture is an observation post in the Owen Stanley range of New Guinea. He liked his Thompson and wearing his hat on the side of his head.

Bill B...

those two photographs are spectacular.

images like this of ordinary people involved in extraordinary history are priceless. the fact that they are identifiable with human family links adds to their value immeasurably.

Last edited by kevin; 11/18/20 6:14 pm.
1 member likes this: Boomer
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
"I have a Lugar my father brought back in 45 too. I remember asking him when I was young how he got it. He told me he traded a pair of pilots sunglasses for it, but years later he told my brother "the guy I got it from didn't need it anymore" and that's all he would say."

My former neighbor when I lived in PA had a Luger he brought back. I heard about it, but never saw. He was in declining health and was definitely showing early signs of dementia, but liked to play poker on Friday nights. One Friday night, the neighbors had invited us over to play poker. It always involved a few beers. Woody (the neighbor) was having a tough night playing poker and coping in general. He was hitting the beer fairly hard.

All of a sudden, he lost his confused looks and become very clear in his speech and thoughts, said he needed show me something and tell me a story.

He left the room and came back with a Luger wrapped in a white towel. Along with the Luger was 2 magazines, a holster, mag pouch, and a single round wrapped in a white handkerchief. He unwrapped it, and the handkerchief had a name embroidered in German.

Woody was in the infantry, part of the 3rd Army. He was leading his squad into a French farm house to see if it was clear. He kicked the door open and was greeted by a German officer who was wounded who immediately raised his Luger to fire. Woody did what he had to do. The round in the white handkerchief was the round that was in the chamber. The handkerchief was in the officer's pocket.

Woody had never told his family that story until that night. He had always told them it didn't matter how he ended up with the Luger.

After Woody passed several years later, the Luger disappeared. None of his family claimed to have any knowledge of what happened to it.

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
2 members like this: wadeschields, Boomer
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Interesting that the first picture was unknown to me or my family until I went to the 2018 Australian BSA Inter Rally and we took a visit to the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne. After a tour inside we ended up talking to a tour guide at the gift shop and she pointed out a book that was about the invasion of New Guinea and guess what the picture was on the cover. Needless to say I bought 10 copies.

Bill B...

Boomer
3 members like this: wadeschields, MikeG, Bob E
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T
Absolutely Lannis,
I was watching a TV documentory the other day when the narrator casually dropped out the fact that the esteemed Mr R J Mitchell was 24 when he designed the legendary Spitfire... I choked on my cup of tea at that!

No wonder evereyone 'then' looks older than their years - they had all lived lives already!

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Boomer

Bill B...

I have pictures if I can find them of my father-in-law in North Africa and the Pacific with the Army Air Corps. He was a farm boy from Charlotte County, VA, probably never been out of the county when he went to war, and here he was on ships and airplanes traveling the whole world over.

Your Dad was a bold soldier - you had to be up close and personal for a .45 ACP Thompson to be effective. I believe I'd tote a Garand and be able to stand off a bit!

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
1 member likes this: Boomer
DOPE
DOPE
i believe it to be a sad commentary on human culture that killing people in warfare is somehow applaudable, while killing them on the sidewalk is somehow a forbidden act.

given that, those people who did th ebest they could with what they were given deserve the best accolades that history can offer. none of us get to choose the times we live in, and neither do we get to choose the moral dilemmas we are expected to solve.

2 members like this: ricochetrider, Mike Baker
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
[

Your Dad was a bold soldier - you had to be up close and personal for a .45 ACP Thompson to be effective. I believe I'd tote a Garand and be able to stand off a bit!

Lannis

He did do some bold actions, or crazy acts, fine line by definition. I'm certainly glad he survived these actions or I wouldn't be here.

Bill B...

Boomer
2 members like this: Bob E, Nick H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
AFAIK My dad got his Luger when they "liberated" a German supply depot, they did a lot of that towards the end of the war. I checked the history based on the markings. It was first made to be sent to Spain for the Riff insurrection. That contract was cancelled and the pistol ended up issued to rural police in Prussia. I assume that the pistol and its owner got drafted. Still shoots well, though a bit picky about ammunition.
He came home with some other pistols, but the Luger is the only one left after a burglary when I was too young to remember.
Dad started out with a Garand, went into the middle of The Bulge. About a week in the B.A.R. gunner was killed. Dad had scored sharpshooter in boot camp so he got stuck with the B.A.R.. Lucky he survived, those guys were a prime target.
Late in the war I can see a 21 year old U-boat captain. By 1945 they were down to old men and adolescents. My mother related to me that once, when they were touring Germany, their waiter commented on the Hitler Youth, "Ya, they were like your Boy Scouts." My father scolded him, "They were no Boy Scouts, I had to fight those little SOBs!"
If he kept any pictures I never saw them. I think dad wanted to forget the whole experience.

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
DOPE
DOPE
my grandfather rode an indian in france as a dispatch rider with the signal corp.

i still have his crossed flag collar pins.

i wish that that he hadn't had to wear them. there's no civilized excuse for war.

its very existence is an acknowledgment that civilization has broken down.

1 member likes this: BSA_WM20
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Okay, last posting I promise. I need to get a shadow box made.

Bill B...

Boomer
2 members like this: Rusty Goose, Bob E
DOPE
DOPE
uour images of your father will stay with me now, permanently.,

i have shared them with my children.

war is serious. i don't like it, but i can't eliminate it either.

Last edited by kevin; 11/19/20 6:27 am.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by kevin
uour images of your father will stay with me now, permanently.,

war is serious. i don't like it, but i can't eliminate it either.

As they have with me, he died from his WW2 disabilities when I was 5 yrs old. But I am only one of thousands that are of like mind.

Bill B...

Boomer
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by kevin
i wish that that he hadn't had to wear them. there's no civilized excuse for war.

its very existence is an acknowledgment that civilization has broken down.

In that case, "civilization" has never been anything but broken, because there's never been a time when there have been no wars, not in recorded history.

It only takes one side to start one; people who don't believe in it and don't want to fight still have to fight sometimes. Like walking down the street; I might be peaceful and pacific and loving everyone, but when someone steps out with a knife, there go THOSE ideals ....

Lannis

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The longest period of (relative) peace in Europe was during the Roman empire, for about 200 years.

Q
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Q
The longest period of (relative) peace in Europe was during the Roman empire, for about 200 years.

very relative
Pax Romana is a Roman point of view .
during this time of peace
there was a 4 year war to subjugate the tribes in Dalmatia ... where an estimated 1million
Various Dalmatian factions fought against Roman occupation .

There were two Wars across the Danube River into Dacia , not missions of peace or trade
they Where to steal gold mines .

there were 3 rebellions in Palestine that were not peaceful for the jews , the ones that lived , became displaced persons .

The Romans invaded the island of Britain during the time of Pax Romana

Germanic tribes ambushed , killed or enslaved 16 to 20,000 Roman soldiers fully halted Roman expansion into tribal areas

and the Romans fought a six-year war in Armenia , where the Armenians , or whatever they were called at the time ,
beat the Roman Legions to a standstill .

Last edited by quinten; 11/19/20 9:28 pm.
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
My mom’s brother was at Saipan. Japanese soldiers told the civilians of all the terrible thinks Americans would do to them if caught. They threw there children off the cliffs to the rocks below, and jumped after them.

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1972 Rickman 125
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
It says a lot about or for the cultures who do not believe in possessions and see themselves as the caretakers of the planet .

Possesions are the down fall of all western cultures

Bike Beesa
Trevor
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
It says a lot about or for the cultures who do not believe in possessions and see themselves as the aretakers of the planet .

Very philosophical Trevor, but i don't know of a culture that sees itself that way when they have experienced
living in a civilised culture. They all want more and once they see a way to get it, they chase it.

NickL #830691 11/22/20 11:20 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by NickL
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
It says a lot about or for the cultures who do not believe in possessions and see themselves as the aretakers of the planet .

Very philosophical Trevor, but i don't know of a culture that sees itself that way when they have experienced
living in a civilised culture. They all want more and once they see a way to get it, they chase it.

The 19th century French anarchist Pierre-Joseph Proudhon is quoted as saying that all property is theft

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride"
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan
who does not do politics

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com