Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Jim Hultman
Jim Hultman
Minnesota, US
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#830371 11/19/20 8:11 pm
G
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G
Has anyone else got one of these?

I have been toying with getting one for a while now and finally got one a couple of weeks ago. I have only used it once so far and to be honest probably wont use it loads in future but occasionally I know it will be really handy. Its a clever concept and all that I would want for a motorcycle GPS.

(Random image from the web below, not my bike)

[Linked Image from static.dezeen.com]

John

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
What is it and what does it do?

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
Lannis #830387 11/19/20 10:55 pm
G
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G
Originally Posted by Lannis
What is it and what does it do?

Lannis

Its a GPS but not like a "normal" one. Lots on Youtube etc, here is one that shows what it does.

John

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Thanks!

Looks like it works by connecting to a "smartphone", which means you'd have to carry one on the motorcycle.

Move along, move along, nothing to see here .... wink clap thumbsup

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
I've looked at these a couple times, but typically will wait for 2.0 or 3.0 versions before trying (buying) 1st gen anything. Honestly, I just use my phone for any navigation needs. That said, I can only really "attach" my phone to one of my bikes. I've used my phone in my tank bag map pocket but it tends to overheat easily, in hot weather or in sunshine.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

G
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G
Looks like it works by connecting to a "smartphone", which means you'd have to carry one on the motorcycle.

That's right. I only have a smartphone so I usually carry it with me anyway.

Originally Posted by ricochetrider
I've looked at these a couple times, but typically will wait for 2.0 or 3.0 versions before trying (buying) 1st gen anything.
I mostly do the same for the same reasons that I am sure that you do. However I had a bike journey planned a couple of weeks ago and knew the last few miles would require me to stop a few times to check a map or my phone so I bought one on a bit of an impulse. That said I am happy so far.

I just use my phone for any navigation needs................ I've used my phone in my tank bag map pocket but it tends to overheat easily, in hot weather or in sunshine
Again me too, and I have experienced the same issues too.

I can only really "attach" my phone to one of my bikes.
Thats one thing that I liked about the Beeline. The "basic" mount will mount to almost anything with handlebars and if you want to get fancy there are Ram Mount adapters available too. Additional "basic" mounts are a bit pricy for what they are but still cheap enough to maybe have a couple and leave them on different bikes. Also ,because it is a self contained battery device (claimed 30 hours) then it does not matter what voltage or "earth" polarity your bike has (or even if it has any volts at all).

John

Last edited by George Kaplan; 11/20/20 4:35 pm.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
In MOST (not ALL) cases, you can plan you next leg during a gas stop and probably not need to pull over till the next one.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by George Kaplan

That's right. I only have a smartphone so I usually carry it with me anyway.

I've looked at these a couple times, but typically will wait for 2.0 or 3.0 versions before trying (buying) 1st gen anything.
I mostly do the same for the same reasons that I am sure that you do. However I had a bike journey planned a couple of weeks ago and knew the last few miles would require me to stop a few times to check a map or my phone so I bought one on a bit of an impulse. That said I am happy so far.

I just use my phone for any navigation needs................ I've used my phone in my tank bag map pocket but it tends to overheat easily, in hot weather or in sunshine
Again me too, and I have experienced the same issues too.

I can only really "attach" my phone to one of my bikes.
Thats one thing that I liked about the Beeline. The "basic" mount will mount to almost anything with handlebars and if you want to get fancy there are Ram Mount adapters available too. Additional "basic" mounts are a bit pricy for what they are but still cheap enough to maybe have a couple and leave them on different bikes. Also ,because it is a self contained battery device (claimed 30 hours) then it does not matter what voltage or "earth" polarity your bike has (or even if it has any volts at all).

John

Nice. I'd be interested in a full review of this once you've used it for a while. I wonder, does it emit any sort of audio or is it strictly a visual read out?

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
On the general subject, I use my phone and a Garmin Nuvi for nav on my bike.
In fact, used both simutaneously on the trip to/from the Reunion Camp earlier this year.

Had them both set for the same destination, and to avoid highways. It was fun to intentionally take a wrong turn, or favor one route over the other.
The routes were different, got to see lots of non-slab countryside.

For attachment, I use RAM mounts for the base connection.
Specific for my phone, I use Slip Grip Mounts.
They are tough and affordable.
They can be ordered custom, like when my phone was a Casio Commando with a double battery, had it to me in 4 days.
My first few could release the phone if swung very violently.
A few minutes with a blow drier to increase the bend of the thumb tab and they became enduro trail rated, literally.
https://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/

A Garmin Nuvi on a bike? Yes, and it has survived real soaker rainstorms without any protection or failure. I use a carrier frame specific to it made by RAM.
7 inch screen so the picture is big. I most often use it for the picture in View Map mode, while using the bluetooth on the phone app for nav directions.

I also use US Topo Maps Pro to record routes on the fly.

Gotta remember to use that more often, would have been nice to record the 3 State route from this year!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
G
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G
Nice. I'd be interested in a full review of this once you've used it for a while. I wonder, does it emit any sort of audio or is it strictly a visual read out?
Yes, I will do. Given that I am in the UK and its nearly December, it will probably be next Spring before I use it enough to form a full opinion of it.

It doesn't have any audio which is one thing that that might be a flaw. However I think that the audio would come from the App on the phone rather than the hardware so if they ever do add audio then an App update (the App is free) would fix that. I think the App is a derivative of Google maps so it has the potential to have audio.

I did note from the marketing w**k that once you have the route in your phone you dont need a data connection so it doesn't eat all of your data

Originally Posted by Ob1quixote
It was fun to intentionally take a wrong turn, or favor one route over the other.!
I think that the "Compass Mode" on the Beeline is designed to intentionally let you do this.

Originally Posted by Ob1quixote
I also use US Topo Maps Pro to record routes on the fly.
Again, I think you can do this too. I know that you can import gpx files too.

There are a load of reviews on Youtube so it might be worth looking at a couple of different ones both sponsored by the company and independent ones.

JOhn

Lannis #830636 11/22/20 6:12 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Thanks!

Your smart phone will work Lannis... smirk

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ive been watching these too ... Seems like a good device ... I like a GPS when I have someplace to be but sometimes when I just wanna get lost I find the best roads and would like a device to record the route that I have taken .... Anyone have any tips on doing that? I have my iPhone and I also have a Garmin 550 (I think) Motorcycle GPS that I havent used in years... But I would if I knew how to record my unplanned routes....

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by wadeschields
Thanks!

Your smart phone will work Lannis... smirk

Alas, 'tis gone. $70 a month and the only thing I used it for was the overseas trip .... I hated to see the poor thing languish in idleness, eating its head off no matter if I used it or not, so ... My "Moose" enduro map roller worked great yesterday for finding our Guzzi lunch meeting location!

Lannis

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
We use roll charts for organized dual sport and adventure rides. Holdover from enduro racing, before they made race computers.

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Its hard to right down where I am and where I am turning while I am riding especially the fact that each turn has unknown roads ahead.... Its after the said road that may or may not be amazing that I want to remember it... Too late... Already gone from my head waiting for the next great road.... If I had a device that remembered it for me then that would be great....

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor