Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#834846 12/29/20 10:37 pm
B
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Just tead on another forum that ross Thomson has left us. Another huge talent gone. RIP

windy
72 combat
if it aint broke fix it till it is
switchbackcreek.com
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
bill50cal #834857 12/29/20 11:36 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
That's terrible. He did five tanks for me and everyone is perfect, master craftsman. I wish he could have had more time in retirement.

Bill B...

Boomer
bill50cal #834862 12/30/20 12:49 am
J
jeb Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
The first tank he did for me was so good, I thought he accidently sent me someone else`s tank by mistake. He was an artist when it came to metal. God Bless Him.

I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
I received this unhappy news from Bob Buchanan in Canada at 8:00 PM, CST. tonight, 12/29.

Ross was a master of metalwork, he repaired several gas tanks, oil tanks and fenders of mine. Always a gentleman, and a craftsman.

I once saw a chrome-sided Gold Star tank he repaired: no one could tell it had ever been dented.

God Bless you, Ross. You will always be missed, but not forgotten.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
This is a big loss to the motorcycling world. I first met Ross in Petaluma in 2014, I was amazed like a kid in a sweet shop at his display of tanks and the finish they were in that he had on display.

When I wanted my clubman tank doing I contacted him and he offered me instead to do an identical tank for me instead of shipping mine over. The craftsmanship of the tank is superb, it’s a darn shame to have the tank on the bike as it turned out so good.

I knew he retired not too long ago but thought he was just taking a step back, I thought at the time that it was a sad loss that his skills were not being used... this is sadder news still. My condolences to his family.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

1 member likes this: BeezaBryan
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Terrible news, I'm lost for words. We didn't meet this year in Paris ON because of Covid, I didn't think he could have any health problems.

RIP Ross.

Last edited by Adam M.; 12/30/20 2:15 pm.
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
RIP Ross. Condolences to his family.

Always enjoyed seeing Ross at OVBSAOC and VMD. He did a couple of tanks for me as well.

A brilliant craftsman

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Three Gold Star tanks he did for me awaiting their turn with a coating of wax. Works of art.

Competition GS
'49 ZB34GS
'63 RGS

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bill B...

Boomer
H
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
H
Rip Ross He did the best work . Did Two Gold Star tanks and a Norton Inter plus a few fenders and a GS center oil tank. I wish that he had more time retired.. My condolences to his family. hunter

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Ross was a great friend to my wife and I. The covid kept us from getting up to see him this year. We will miss him a lot. He is the second british bike friend from Canada we lost this year. Our condolences to his family and all his friends.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Oh man I still have a Gold Star tank sitting on the shelf that he did... Waiting to be chromed... RIP

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by wadeschields
Oh man I still have a Gold Star tank sitting on the shelf that he did... Waiting to be chromed... RIP

Wade, the last tank he did for me he sent to Deco-Chrome and they did a beautiful job. They are in Quebec.

Bill B...

Boomer
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Obituary The funeral service will be live streamed today at 1pm Eastern.
https://ailsacraigfuneralhome.com/tribute/details/18141/Ross-Thompson/obituary.html#tribute-start

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
He was very kind to do a 1921 Cleveland tank for me last year, even though he was retired. As with all his work, absolute perfection. He was a very talented person and a pleasure to correspond with. RIP, Ross.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
That was sure a nice video posted above showing Ross and his family over many years. A real family man. I only met Ross once in person, at a swap meet in BC some years ago, we had a nice chat about bikes. However I am the proud owner of two tanks that he brought back to life. A ZB Gold Star plunger frame scrambles tank and a later GS Catalina style tank. The are just beautiful, almost too nice to ever put on a bike.

Our bike world will miss his talent.

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com